+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Any EX Smokers here?

Any EX Smokers here?

Or, people that want to quit? (I wrote this in word pad figuring it'd be long and I didn't want to get logged off) here goes.............

Hello who's ever hangin round here.

Okay. I have a quit date for smokes tomorrow. Just got home from a lovely cookout where I drank
    too many Margaritas (sp) so, I appologize if my spelling stinks.

I've been sick for over a week and moved my quit date to tomorrow because of this "sick feeling".
    Feel like the cigs are poisening me and I've had it. Very stressed about it though (I can smoke
    at work and look forward to breaks at school to go smoke) but, I've got some ideas and maybe could
    get more from people who've been through it here.

I have quit before (once when I was pregnant a long time ago) cold turkey NO problem at all then)
    Then again cold turkey for over 6 months. I felt great. Don't know why I went back (really don't)
    Then again with the patch.

I have a stress ball (for my car & work) sugarless candy - new (very expensive) whitening toothpaste)
    no more coffee or alcohol until I'm over the wig out of it all. hmmm...Oh straws to rip apart.
    Gum of course. No plans to be around bars or lounges till I have at least 3 months smoke free (ouch
    ouch)

Any ideas that some of you have?

I figure this is a good place to write about it and get some input and hopefully help someone else in the
    process. (I'm so afraid of failing here)!!

Got to do it though because this past week especially feeling so crappy (and I'm usually so happy when
    spring hits) they're killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, any advice? I already work out. Gonna up that a bit. before I go to work tomorrow night I'm already
    buying myself something to "pat myself on the back". Maybe a little premature but, whatever. (Just
    some shoes)

Thanks for any advice and if your going through it or, contemplating quitting good luck!! It's so hard!!!!!!
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Best of luck to you Jami! I hope this time is a charm but if you have a smoke, get right back on quitting.

I had quit for 6 years with the help of Zyban and cessation classes. I'm back on the smokes and regret ever re-lighting up. *damn stress*
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Premium Member
    I smoked a little in high school, through college and finally quit when I was about 26. I was really a social smoker, I never smoked when I was alone but only when I was at work or out with friends. Finally one day I decided that was kind of stupid so I just quit. It was very easy for me but the heaviest I ever smoked was 1 1/2 packs a week.

I quit after 32 years. I've been smoke free for over 2 years now. I was in the hospital for some major surgery and decided that would be the perfect time. I spent a week in the hospital and went cold turkey then. I was drugged out for awhile so that made it easier. I have had no desire to smoke since I quit, even after dating a smoker for a few months.
    Sugar free candy is a great idea. I chew on straws from time to time, swizzle sticks if I have a few cold ones. Good luck, it is worth it. Look at the money you save.

I am one of those people who used to smoke regularly and now I'd consider myself an "occasional" smoker. I can go a month without smoking and then have 4 cigarettes at a party or a bar. Or a whole pack over the course of a weekend. And then not again for another week, or another month. I'd like to never do it at all, but it is a hard habit to break. Usually I end up coming down with a cold soon after - and its hard to ignore the obvious correlation. However, about 10 years ago I quit being a daily smoker. I was worried that I would eat everything in sight. I was working at a restaurant at the time and I just always kept a glass of water with a straw in it. If I wanted a cigarette, I just sucked down that water through a straw. It helped, I think. I quit for several years before daring to try one just now and again.

Another thing that may help is to think of it as what you are gaining when you quit, instead of what you are giving up. For example, you are gaining:

Better health now
    Less chance of disease in the future
    Less fatigue with physical exertion
    Better breath
    Clothes/house/car don't stink
    Money saved on cigarettes
    Etc...

Best of luck to you! You can do it if it is something you really want.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

I've said I quit over 25 years ago, but actually I finally really thought about it, and it's been 30 years. I haven't aged, so I'm not sure how that happened. I 'only' smoked for a few years, but I smoked a pack/day. I've talked about this before but I quit cold turkey at a time when almost everyone I knew smoked. I just decided I had had it with that monkey on my back. It was without a doubt, the hardest thing I ever did, but definitely, one of the best. Nicotine patches weren't around then, but basically I sat on my hands alot at parties, etc. Honestly. I also took long, deep breaths, because I found I actually missed that part of smoking. Then during my breaks, I would go for a walk, instead of lighting up. After about one week, I started having nightmares that I lost my resolve and smoked...that's how serious I took it. I'd wake up in a sweat, mad at myself for succumbing to temptation. I also took the money I would have spent on cigs, and put it in a jar everyday. At the end of the week, I'd buy myself with it. That was a great instant reward for me, until I just didn't need to bother with it anymore. Once I started feeling healthy and great, that became my incentive. Good luck to you, and I'd say take advantage of the medical help that's out there now. Trust me, you'll be so glad you quit. Congratulations to Unk and others who have quit. OTS has wonderful suggestions, too. Concentrate on the positive things. Good luck!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Like Ots, lots of water seemed to help. Plus, you have the added health benefits from drinking all that water. Or, if all else fails, get pregnant. That seems to work for a lot of people.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    Best of luck to you Jami! I hope this time is a charm but if you have a smoke, get right back on quitting.

I had quit for 6 years with the help of Zyban and cessation classes. I'm back on the smokes and regret ever re-lighting up. *damn stress*
    '
    Thanks Speedbump!! 6 years!! When did you start again and why!? I wish I never started. I tried those Zyban things but, they made me too tired. I'm just going to up working out. Thanks again for the luck wishes. I'm doing it!
    I just have to.
    (I want to too but, feel "sick".)

I am smoking my last cigs now and they're gross!!!!!!! I gotta keep a journal too. I did that before and it helped. I hope you try again Speed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I smoked a little in high school, through college and finally quit when I was about 26. I was really a social smoker, I never smoked when I was alone but only when I was at work or out with friends. Finally one day I decided that was kind of stupid so I just quit. It was very easy for me but the heaviest I ever smoked was 1 1/2 packs a week.
    Hi Marley, good for you! My mother smoked like that and then her boyfriend got lung cancer. He's fine now (thank god) and she doesn't smoke at all.

I think this is a good thread. I hope we can all help eachother out. Even ex-smokers still want to smoke sometimes right? One of my best friends whenever we are in a club. (lol i'm having trouble typing damn margaritas) she still wants to light up but, gets over it quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    I quit after 32 years. I've been smoke free for over 2 years now. I was in the hospital for some major surgery and decided that would be the perfect time. I spent a week in the hospital and went cold turkey then. I was drugged out for awhile so that made it easier. I have had no desire to smoke since I quit, even after dating a smoker for a few months.
    Sugar free candy is a great idea. I chew on straws from time to time, swizzle sticks if I have a few cold ones. Good luck, it is worth it. Look at the money you save.
    Unk!! Congrats to you!! That is an awesome accomplisment!! You should give yourself presents too. Like every month or so! Keep up the good work.
    My father hasn't smoked in over 20 years but, says he still wants to light up once in awhile. Gotta reward oneself. Congrats again and thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast