+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Any EX Smokers here?

Just don't quit trying to quit, most people try a few times before they finally do it.

Hello and thanks!!

I quit last Sunday night. I cannot believe it is Friday and I'm sitting here smoke free!!!! (a little nuts but, smokefree)

Not one cheat either. I have also not been around anyone who smokes and planned it that way. I gotta say though I've been sick (able to function and work and all but, my chest has hurt) so, that has actually been a good thing. Today I had off and have been doing nothing and a little stir crazy but, have to take it easy and I'm glad. I am going away for the weekend to my brother's house and we are having a little mom's day party for my mother. No one that will be there smokes and all that will be there are very supportive of me not smoking.
    So, I have no doubt that I'll make it until Monday. My daughter is coming home for the summer in less than 2 weeks and that will make it easier (she abhors smoking and is so happy I quit)
    I'll just keep doing what I did all this week. No going out to lounges/bars (usually don't except the weekends anyway) no going out after work for a couple drinks either because I am not going to stress. I excercise a lot and haven't been able to do that this week because I'm trying to get rid of this bronchitis )sp)
    I leave a trail of straws behind me. I keep them in my car, pocket book everywhere and they've been the most helpful thing.
    So! It's going good!! Can't say I don't miss smoking (this is so freaking hard) I loved to smoke.
    Thanks for the encouragement. And good luck to anyone trying and congratulations to anyone who has beat this. It's a bitch!!!
    But, will be worth it.
    Oh finally, I'm not giving myself a reward every minute like I did before. I think I need to wait on that. I did decide to give myself one Monday though.
    Have a nice weekend everybody!! :nono
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

GOOD for you, JamiLee! I"m proud of you. Just keep it up..and keep reminding yourself that this is the single most important thing you can do for your health. It will be SO WORTH it in the end..you're doing your whole overall health a world of good.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I consider myself an ex-smoker. I smoked for 3 years. Since then (5 years) I smoke when I drink alcohol at a bar establishment. This averages out to one night every 3 months or so. Not too bad for someone that LOVES cigarettes.

I quit because my husband hated it when we were dating and continued to complain. He said one day we were going to have children and during that time it wasn't just 'my body' it was 'our body' and I wouldn't be able to smoke. He said I might as well quit then instead of trying to quit while I was pregnant and have to go through withdrawals. It made sense so I quit then. We don't have kids yet, but I'm not a smoker & that's pretty cool.
    Last edited by charity; 05-06-2005 at 04:57 PM.

thanks Angelic!! I'm pretty happy with myself. All week though it was like I was on speed. A lot of energy and not much sleep (patch is on also) so I'm getting a lot of nicotine. I knew I didn't have to do anything today (I really did need to but, didn't have to) and really took too much advantage of it. I'm like a slug today. I am exausted! Feeling a little guilty that I'm not getting some things done but, I guess I can give myself that much for going 5 days (5 days)!! I've worked my butt off all week so I guess I'm entitled. I have been here at the fort for something like 3 hours!! I don't associate the computer with smoking so, guess that's why I am liking it here right now. I always like it here but, this is too much!! I also have to pack to go away for the weekend and I'm feeling like that is too much to deal with.

I think I'm a little burned out. I go walking as much as possible a lot of times with friends and they were laughing at how fast I was going. I must have gone a few more miles than them. Hyper!!!! Crash today. Hopefully by tomorrow this will "balance out".

My memory sucks too. I can't address the last poster by name like I had intended (I forgot the name) but, congrats to you! I don't know how you can have one once in awhile. I won't try and trick myself into thinking i can ever because I've tried it and failed. I quit when I thought I was pregnant and don't remember having a hard time at all (almost 20 years ago I guess it would be) I do remember going back slowly like when I'd be out with friends drinking and you could smoke in bars/clubs back then. And I'd just have one or 2 then sure enough, I went back to almost a pack every couple of days.

Somewhere along the way I got up to a pack a day (my poor, poor lungs)

Hopefully, you'll keep it at that just once in awhile. This is hard. (seems to get harder every time too)

I'm off and away until Monday. Have a nice weekend.
    Happy Mom's day to any moms that read this
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

JamiLee - keep it up....baby steps. One day at a time.

Just in case you're starting to run low....
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by JamiLee
    My memory sucks too. I can't address the last poster by name like I had intended (I forgot the name) but, congrats to you! I don't know how you can have one once in awhile. I won't try and trick myself into thinking i can ever because I've tried it and failed. I quit when I thought I was pregnant and don't remember having a hard time at all (almost 20 years ago I guess it would be) I do remember going back slowly like when I'd be out with friends drinking and you could smoke in bars/clubs back then. And I'd just have one or 2 then sure enough, I went back to almost a pack every couple of days.

Somewhere along the way I got up to a pack a day (my poor, poor lungs)

Hopefully, you'll keep it at that just once in awhile. This is hard. (seems to get harder every time too)
    Congratulations to you! I'm sure it's going to work for you.

I'm fortunate that this nagging wife also has a nagging husband. He wouldn't have it any other way than only when I drink alcohol at a bar a couple times a year. I'm lucky to have him. It's been working for 5 years and I know that's the only way it can be & am okay with that.

Congrats Jami-Lee, but are you having problems sleeping because you wear the patch to bed? I took it off just before I fell asleep with the logic that I didn't smoke in my sleep and nicotine is a stimulant. But if it's working for you keep doing what your doing. I'm not a fanatic ex-smoker, but my Dad died of lung cancer in August and he was a smoker for only 10 years of his life. Cigarettes kill.

I'm proud of you, JamiLee. Keep it up. Each day smoke-free will be a day those lungs are rehabilitating.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by JamiLee
    So, any advice? I already work out. Gonna up that a bit. before I go to work tomorrow night I'm already buying myself something to "pat myself on the back". Maybe a little premature but, whatever. (Just some shoes)
    I haven't read through the thread so any advice I give might be old news.... you are definitely on the right track with the exercising. I also became very health conscious at least in the way of calorie / fat counting because I did not want to gain the famous weight of someone who loses that metabolism from smoking.

The down side is after smoking you gain your taste back and after 20 years of not smoking, I have a sweet tooth like you would not believe! But, I have somehow managed to maintain the weight of my 20's.

At this point in my life, I absolutely cannot STAND the smell of cigarettes/cigars. I can smell someone smoking two blocks away INSIDE my house. It just nauseates me. I don't know if it is a blessing or curse but I sure can tell you there is absolutely NO desire to pick up a cigarette ever again and cannot even believe or understand why I ever did so in the first place...

BTW, CONGRATULATIONS on your efforts...!! And the best of luck to you!

+ Reply to Thread