+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Any EX Smokers here?

1- YOU DID NOT FAIL!
    2- You'll do it again when you are ready, so don't knock yourself around
    3- One thing I learned helped me when I quit this last time, is to NOT pay attention to anyone elses smell or whatever. If they chose to smoke around me I would walk away.
    4- Smoking in my apartment is forbidden period!, if you don't agree with that you can leave and if you don't come back it's your loss, but I stopped smoking in my apt years ago anyway so the cats didn't get second hand smoke.
    5- KEEP TRYING when you feel comfortable doing it, you need only please yourself.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

where's my rose garden? Covaleskie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    If it were easy to quit, it wouldn't be an addiction.
    I love that you said that, Lucy!

I'm a smoker. I love smoking. In fact, I think I'll go out and have a cigarette in a minute. Yet, I know that I need to quit. I've tried quitting before, and it never works out for me. A million excuses, a million justifications, but I still go out and light up again.

It's so nice to hear the support from other people who have tried to quit, have quit, and want to quit. So I thought I'd add my "want to want to quit" voice to chorus.

You're already ahead of me, Jami. You know you should quit, and you're trying. I know it's tough. It's so tough that I don't even want to try anymore, but I know that some day I'll have to find that motivation. When I do, I'm hoping this thread's still around.

And, just for the record:

Things I Did That Didn't Work:

hanging out with friends who smoke
    hanging out with a husband who smokes
    beating myself up for each setback
    eating way too much
    looking for something stressful in my life so I could say, "I had to have a cigarette! The stress was killing me!"
    There's always one in every bunch.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    you didn't fail because you have confessed to stumbling a bit.....so deep down you still want to quit, give yourself time, its not so darn easy for some. thats not a sign of weakness if you can't quit cold turkey like others.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    If it were easy to quit, it wouldn't be an addiction.

Jami, Lucy is right. Don't give up! Keep trying. This is a challenge and will have difficulties. It may be the hardest thing you ever do...but it will be worth it in the long run.

FORT Fogey

One Thing At A Time

Quote Originally Posted by JamiLee
    . . . . no more coffee or alcohol until I'm over the wig out of it all.
    This line, above all others, really stood out to me.

I think that trying to quit too many things (and admit it, they're wonderful things -- because they all make us feel good) at the same time is a recipe for failure.

My advice? Just quit one thing at a time. You'll have a much better chance of success, in my opinion. Try quitting smoking, but leave the drinking and the coffee in place 'cause you'll need to lean on those little crutches while you get used to living life without smoking.

I speak from experience. Once I tried quitting drinking, smoking, and coffee all at once and I miserably failed to quit any of them.

Then I tried quitting drinking but I allowed myself to smoke and drink coffee like crazy and before long it worked -- poof -- I didn't drink anymore.

I then decided to quit smoking (only after I was sure that I'd given up the drinking) but I allowed myself to drink all the coffee I wanted to drink while I got used to life without smoking. Before long it worked -- poof -- I didn't smoke anymore.

Finally, I did try to quit coffee, but then I realized that I didn't smoke or drink anymore, and I thought, "Pom, what are you -- crazy???"

I never did quit coffee, and I hope I never do.

But my point in all that, JamiLee, is to just focus on one thing at a time. Your chances of success will greatly improve.

My final suggestion, while you're focused on giving up smoking: BREATHE DEEPLY. Take lots and lots of slow, deep breaths whenever the urge to smoke hits you.

I discovered that it wasn't the smoking that I loved so much, it was just the inhaling. I substituted inhaling smoke with inhaling air.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    Finally, I did try to quit coffee, but then I realized that I didn't smoke or drink anymore, and I thought, "Pom, what are you -- crazy???"
    That just cracked me up. I love coffee, too, Pom.
    My final suggestion, while you're focused on giving up smoking: BREATHE DEEPLY. Take lots and lots of slow, deep breaths whenever the urge to smoke hits you.

I discovered that it wasn't the smoking that I loved so much, it was just the inhaling. I substituted inhaling smoke with inhaling air.
    I totally agree with this, and actually mentioned it upthread. This was KEY for me. We do think alike, my friend.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Aw hell, I forgot to mention, stay OUT of bars and away from alcohol till you're sure you have it licked! I STILL dream that I got drunk and started smokin' again--I wake up scared to death every time!
    You can do this, just hang in there.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    My advice? Just quit one thing at a time. You'll have a much better chance of success, in my opinion.
    I had a good friend who went through rehab for a coke problem. He was going to quit smoking at the same time and they told him not to for that very reason Pom. Too much stress.

well you guys thanks.

I made a new date for Monday. (Monday is always a good "new day" to quit stuff)

I won't quit coffee (ever I don't think) I don't miss a smoke in the a.m with coffee. However, when I'm out on the weekends I do miss it too much so need to just stay away. I could have a beer or a wine cooler (my favorite) and not miss it so much. It's the bar room scene that gets me going.

Anyway, I had to go the dr. today and got diagnosed with acute bronchitis and can't smoke (sorry bout the spelling there) so, no patch and I'm not smoking) I'm not suppose to be running around partying either but, I'm getting picked up to go out for a while @ 10. I won't want to smoke tho (chest hurts) got put on anti-biotics and just no desire to smoke right now.
    I know it will come back though when I feel better.

Monday is my new quit date and I will just go day to day.

I know I can't be around bars and lounges and all that for awhile though.

I'll check back in here at this thread when I have a week under my belt (should be next Monday) trying to be positive!

Good luck to anyone trying.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

I'll be thinking about you on Monday, JamiLee.
    *sending positive vibes and virtual coffee stirrers your way*
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

+ Reply to Thread