+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Any EX Smokers here?

I smoked from the time I was 13 (!!!!!!!!) till I was 35, and was up to nearly 3 packs a day. I quit cold turkey and never smoked another one, (And it's been 10 years!) but I think there are a lot of ways to do it that work. For myself, I just had to realize that I was going to feel really bad for a few weeks, but it wouldn't kill me, and that I would be getting occasional cigarette urges probably from the time I quit, on. Quitting wasn't nearly as bad as I had it pumped up in my mind to be. But even now, on the rare occasion, the cigarettes that usually stink so bad attract me (usually when i'm outside, and the cigarette is 15 feet away so I can just smell it a little). I knew ahead of time this would happen. and I've just made it a rule to NEVER actually ask for even one. I can't imagine that if I smoked one here and there, it wouldn't eventually turn into a fulltime habit again. Just know...even after a really long time, the urge can hit you; be ready to say, NO.
    Good luck to anyone trying to quit, you can do it!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Jami, . There is no better decision that you can make for yourself. It may be hard but you will thank yourself someday. I will send positive vibes out to you as you go through this challenge. You can do it and we will all be here to help.

Growing up, my dad smoked. I always hated it. I had really long hair and could ALWAYS smell the smoke in my hair and on my clothes. My mom wouldn't let him smoke in the house but he smoked so often that we were bound to pick up the odor just from being outside with him. Two of my older sisters started smoking when they were 16 or so. Both of them had kids at a young age and smoked while pregnant. My oldest sister (she's 12 years older than I am) smoked during each of her pregnancies AND she and her husband smoked with their kids in the car, in the house, etc. The kids were always around smoke. Her daughter was born with all sorts of heart problems, has had several open heart surgeries and yet they still smoked around her constantly. Recently, her cardiologist has recommended that she register for a heart and lung transplant...she's only 17. The other kids have had issues with asthma, etc.

As much as I detested the smoking in my family, I believe I became addicted to the second hand smoke. When I moved out of my parent's home, I started smoking on a social level. It was never a huge habit but enough to keep me feeling like I always felt growing up...I guess my body missed the smoke in a way. When I met my husband, I never, ever smoked around him which cut my habit back quite a bit. After we were married, I would only smoke while traveling on business ( I traveled about 150,000 -200,000 miles per year so I was often out on the road alone) I finally quit completely the day I realized I was pregnant. I knew I didn't want to damage my children and that I had to stop hurting myself as well. Had we actually been planning on getting pregnant, I would have stopped sooner but surprises happen.

I never regretted quitting, only starting. By the way, my dad finally quit several years ago. I think he would sneak one here and there but overall, I haven't seen him smoke in at least 10 years.

Good Luck!!

Congrats QueenB and Applesauce.

I know it's hard. Here is my rant ( I wrote it in word pad knowing i may get logged off before posting it)

well. I feel terrible about this especially with all the positive advice and good lucks.

I went out Friday night. Everything was fine but, then I got in a mood and decided to rip
    off the patch and go out with my "drinkin pals".
    I smoked a whole pack.
    I got up Saturday and felt like [mod edit] and didn't smoke. I woke up Sunday and put the patch
    on but, my heart wasn't in it. I ended up taking it off knowing I could smoke a couple of hours
    after and I bought another pack and smoked my brains out at a cookout. I felt like crap today
    about the whole thing (very guilty because I'm avoiding talking to 2 people I don't want to lie to
    but, I know would be so upset (my daughter and my mother) so, started out today with a
    new attitude but, no patch. I got pissed off and smoked. I ended up smoking more than
    usual.
    So...........tomorrow, I'm going to get up and put the patch back on and try again. My "Oomp"
    is gone though. I don't feel excited about quitting right now. I just feel so bad I failed. I think
    I may get the extra help of that Zyban pill. Not sure yet.

Well. I had to confess. I hope anyone else that is quitting is doing better than I am at the moment.
    Oh well. Maybe that excited feeling will come back.

Thanks again for the well-wishes. Very much appreciated.

I could always look forward to be a manic whore (kidding kidding)!!

I took the Zyban once and it just made me sleepy but, I'm open to suggestions. Never give up I
    guess is the best advice I can give myself and anyone else.

Apple
    I too grew up with a smoker and I loved it. The smell of it and everything. My father smoked a lot. I loved the smell and couldn't wait to smoke. He's been off them over twenty years (I couldn't find the zero key iyiyi)

Anyway, it's tough but, can be done. If my father could do it, anyone could.
    I don't feel like quitting tomorrow, but, I'm going to try.

I'm just going to go with the motions and hope that the excitement/empowerment feeling of quitting comes back.

Thanks again, Jami I hate that smilie now.....
    Last edited by Amanda; 04-25-2005 at 09:13 PM. Reason: language
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Jami -

Don't beat yourself up over it. It is a very difficult thing to do (you KNOW that, you've done it before): I liken it to pushing a truck up a hill with a rope.

Its good to come here and "confess". Somehow tying it all out helps put it in perspective, doesn't it?

It takes many many attempts, but most importantly, your heart and mind and soul has to be completely into it for it to work - no matter how much we know its healthy to stop, you'll save money, it smells, blah blah blah - problem is, it is an addiction: mental and physical. If it were simple to quit, most people would probably be non-smokers.

So, pick yourself up by your bootstraps, realize the world hasn't ended because you caved into temptation, and decide if and when you want to stop again.

Eventually, with the right amount of determination, luck and a lot of courage, you'll do it. Believe it.

*passes coffee stirrer to JamiLee*
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

I think you just need to get psyched again, and keep trying. It's r-e-a-l-l-y hard to quit a habit that has totally taken over your thinking and life. Try again. Maybe the next time will be THE time. Keep looking into other options. I happen to be pretty stubborn, and there are times like quitting smoking where that comes in really handy.

Edited to add that ADK and I apparently were posting at the same time. Listen to her about not beating yourself up...she's very wise.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Jamie-

One of the things I HAD to do when I quit for those six years was alter my lifestyle. I knew I couldn't go out and drink or be around smokers. It was tough, but I did it. Maybe you could find an alternative to going out?

Of course, I'm smoking again so take it for what it's worth In all seriousness, get back off the smokes and take the stumble for what it was--a stumble. You can do it!
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Edited to add that ADK and I apparently were posting at the same time. Listen to her about not beating yourself up...she's very wise.

Offtopic - Would you tell that to my daughter? She thinks she's smarter than I am. 6 going on 14

end threadjack
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Aaah, they learn early don't they, ADK. I hear you. I've got an 18 y.o. going on 30.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Jami-- you didn't fail, you just backslid a little. You just recommit to quitting tomorrow.
    I had a friend who was in AA and he said there were a LOT of people who would come to meetings for a month, two months, a year, even -- and then one night they'd come back and pick up another white keytag (meaning they were starting over at being sober).
    If it were easy to quit, it wouldn't be an addiction.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

aww you guys got me almost in tears....LOL I am in tears OK I'm a big wimp!

Thanks so much. I'm going to try again that is all I can do.

I think I better hold back a bit on giving myself rewards. I must have spent a small fortune rewarding myself for each day not smoking when I really should not have!

Anyway, thanks again. Tomorrow is a new day. And I am not liking the smoking anyway (that is the crazy thing) it just sucks!!

The guy I was dating smoked and that was a problem. I don't think it will be now because after Saturday he'll probably never want to see me again (that is when I tried without the patch and I was a little "grouchy" UNDERSTATEMENT".. I told him he smelled bad!!!!!!

Just need to start over. a few posts back, someone mentions you have to realize your not going to feel good for a FEW WEEKS. From my past experience, I think she is right. Just ride it out. I'll do it, thanks again.
    I won't post here until I have 5 straight days though! (I will read them but, won't go on if I pick them back up)
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

+ Reply to Thread