+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Any EX Smokers here?

MRD

Re: Any EX Smokers here?

Quote Originally Posted by luckythirteen;1821113;
    A question out of curiosity for smokers/ex-smokers

Does smoking actually relieve stress?
    YES! But that's no excuse to start smoking! But I will tell you that a cigerette has calmed me more when I had a stressful situation than anything else.
    I also once read a study where they think nicotine actually calms schizophrenics. My brother is a chain smoker and is a schizophrenic and I tend to think that is true. I've seen him get really agitated and smoke a cigerette and calm right down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;1821187;

I am not a non-smoker, I am a smoker who no longer smokes.
    Me too. And I know I can slide back to it real easy if I let myself.

Good for you for not starting back Rattus. I know its REAL hard for me some days. Those are the days when I imagine I could smoke a 6 foot long cigarette!! In about 3 puffs!

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;1822817;
    the thought to smoke crosses my mind on a rare occasion.........and beer is involved.
    I usually find the same thing. Beer being involved has made me do a lot of things I might not normally do.
    But for some reason coffee and smoking and drinking alcohol and smoking are things I really enjoyed together.

Good for you too Queenb for giving it up and staying away from it, even with the beer!
    Last edited by MRD; 04-26-2007 at 01:06 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2352379;
    Good idea, but I asked about that last year, and they said the drugs were basically mild dose anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds geared toward taking the "edge" off. Does nothing for the addiction part of it, nor the routine/habit/empty hand issues. My doctor was very blunt with me about it, said that he'd prescribe it to me but that the pills alone would not in any way make me quit. They just might make it a little easier on my family and friends while I quit... so I don't bite their little heads off!

Or did you know of something else that I am not aware of? Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated!
    Congrats on the new baby BlondieGirl!! I don't think trading out drugs for smoking is any better than smoking with all the side effects that the drugs bring into the equation. Those 'off label' usages of anti-depressants aren't good for you.
    I just quit (again) in February but I think this is it for me. I don't crave them anymore. We got a 'far infrared sauna' which forces you to sweat out/detox junk from your body (including nicotine) so I figured that if I was cleaning out my body....I was no longer going to 'junk it back up' with nicotine...it just wouldn't make sense. The infrared sauna was for me as a last resort to deal with shingles/nerve pain issues that no drugs could help me with anymore and it worked!!
    Double bonus: Husband's cholesterol went from 205 down to 184 after 5 weeks and his sugar went way down, too! After about the third day of sweating, I realized I could get along without them. Plus it's one hour of reading and total relaxation from stress and that helps, too.
    BUT that doesn't mean I don't still smoke in my dreams!!! I hate that...dreaming of smoking and realizing, in the middle of enjoying it, that I don't smoke anymore and then feeling bad about myself, like JamiLee, because I feel like a failure.....and I understand that feeling completely--because I have quit every time I found out I was pregnant (4), quit (end of the year-the month-decade 12/31/1989) only to have that 'one' 5 1/2 years later...that led me back to smoking again. I would quit for a year here & there and fall right back into that trap.
    It just takes that 'one'...oh, one won't hurt me.....and before you know it, you're spraying perfume, avoiding people you know, sucking on mints....and feeling like a societal pariah all over again.
    I am SO happy right now, feeling better than I have in years--I quit smoking AND have lost 12 pounds! And the best part is that I am off of all medications!! I will no longer listen to the devil on my shoulder telling me that "just one won't hurt" and I guess I'll just keep my smoking to an occasional dream!!
    Bestest of Luck to you all for SUCCESS in quitting!
    Every morning is a NEW BEGINNING--you CAN quit today!!
    Last edited by Beccarella; 04-26-2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling matters!!!

Okay I wrote a very long post and had each person's name bolded to say thanks and congrats and whatever else.

I have to start using wordpad or notepad when I do that because my post is gone.

When I'm on here I am doing other things and leaving the computer whatever and I constantly get the log off due to inactivity.

rahhhhhhhh

RG I'm pming you when I'm done with my work day. I have a site I want to send you that helps with the preparation for quitting. I should have utilized it the 3 1/2 months I quit and I just didn't. I was thinking out of sight out of mind. I used it some years ago and found it very helpful.

I'll pm you later on.

Everyone else that has quit and trying to, big congrats out to you.

And thanks for the help. I very much appreciate it.

p.s I stink!! (kidding about the tears)

well they do stink and I have wayyyyy too much perfume on. My mother and sister-in-law just said they were stopping by to have lunch and I gotta cover up the smoke smell!!

stink
    guilt
    dirty
    unhealthy #1
    addictive
    stain your teeth
    stain everything!
    hurt your breathing
    expensive
    stupid looking if you really think about it how dumb is it right?
    socially unacceptable
    and the list could go on!

See what you non-smokers aren't missing!! Plus the guilt is horrible......

Happy Friday you good smelling people
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;1666916;
    Good news about my relapse. I've now quit again and its been long enough that I think I'm done with it for good. For the second time. Hopefully I'll be smart enough not to do that again.
    I just wanted to note that I have not started again after my short relapse. After my scare with a lump last summer, you can bet I wont ever get near one again. The whole time I was waiting for my tests, I was mentally kicking myself for every cigarette I'd smoked. When I realized that my selfish habit could have robbed my daughter of having me around, I knew I'd never touch one again.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Good for you, Star! When you KNOW you are finished with it--it's over. At least that's how it was for me.

JamieLee, hang in there. I know you've been trying really hard!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

JamieLee, can you tell me what the site is? Maybe it'd be helpful. I'm going to quit cold turkey. I don't want to do the drug/patch route.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2354508;
    I just wanted to note that I have not started again after my short relapse. After my scare with a lump last summer, you can bet I wont ever get near one again. The whole time I was waiting for my tests, I was mentally kicking myself for every cigarette I'd smoked. When I realized that my selfish habit could have robbed my daughter of having me around, I knew I'd never touch one again.
    Stargazer I'm glad it was just a scare and you are okay. I'm very glad for you that you feel the way you do about not smoking ever again. I can't say the same at the moment but, I'll get that feeling back again. I know what you mean about having a scare and the guilt as I felt and feel so strongly for my daughter too. Congratulations to you.

Famita I guess it's okay if I post it here. I suggest anyone attempting to quit to check it out. They have this sponsor like thing too where you have one person that guides you around the site and supports you. Really very cool as when you quit and you really want to smoke and feel like you have taken everyone's ears off that are close to you with how bad you might be feeling you can just click a few times and the support is just great. I'm a venting type person but, after 3 months everyone pretty much thought I would never smoke again. I just haven't had a lot of friends that are smokers. Mostly, I think I mentioned hardly anyone smokes at all that I'm close to and they hate that I do....the site is just so good because pretty much everyone there is preparing to quit, has quit or has a lot of quit time and like to help other people out. You get understanding there that's for sure.

www.quitnet.org

I have to join it too. As I mentioned before, it is a great site for preparing to quit as well as staying quit..I think I'll do that Monday when I'm going to have a lot of down time. And, I will not be able to smoke at all.

Did you pick a date? Keep us posted on how your doing here okay? I think this is a good thread too for support.

I will be done again very soon. They are like (cigs) being in a really bad relationship and not wanting to let go but, you know you have to end it.
    And again they STINK. Oh and I hate hate hate the way my mouth feels just ick.

My house smells terrible. I'm going with Remote Goddess on my new date. And I like her idea of cutting down in the meantime. I may make the date even sooner. I'll decide for sure when I don't have a zillion things going on.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend. I'm going away until next Wednesday.

Queenb I'm so glad you have stayed quit!! Thanks for the message I really had been trying so hard. You've been there so you know how it is. It's just great you have stayed away from them. Keep up the good work.

I'll probably log on here Monday from N.Y. on my daughter's laptop. She has classes from 10 a.m to 10 p.m and I'm helping her move tomorrow so I'll need a break and probably need to vent. I'm bringing a box of nicorette gum with me as I will not be smoking at all. Who knows, maybe I will stay off them after this trip. The ride is really long though and I like smoking in my car so I'm already thinking OK on my way home .......day at a time I guess.

I'm so glad none of my daughter or her friends smoke. Actually, out of the huge bunch of friends she has, there is one boy who smokes and they all hate it. They just got over there spring break and went on a big trip and my daughter was telling me they were fighting with him because he was trying to smoke in the house they were staying in and they were making him go outside. I thank God for that. I'm going to have a talk with him when we are moving and I see him huffing and puffing......I should practice what I preach:nono

Sorry my post is all over the place. I have been on and off the phone and back and forth to finish this post!!

Again, I hope everyone has a nice SMOKE FREE weekend!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;1622428;
    I quit over 18 years ago, (not counting those 6 weeks in Italy and Sardegna ) and I still get the occasional craving. Of course, it's no longer a battle, but I don't think it ever truly goes away.
    to the two Uncles here BIG CONGRATS TO YOU BOTH!! you rock

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm a non-smoker who just wants to encourage you guys. Back when I was in 9th grade a friend and I tried smoking some half finished cigarettes that her parents had left around, something I'd been doing with my friends off and on for a year or two, but never getting past the first puff due to coughing. That time though it didn't make me cough and I kind of saw how you could enjoy it. That afternoon we went to the movies and the short they showed was slides of two lungs... pink healthy ones and ones that looked like they'd been left too long on the barbecue...it was when they were first realizing smoking was bad for your health and in England so w/o a tobacco lobby they were publicizing it right away. I decided then and there never to try again, and have since many times blessed my lucky stars for the timing. All the studies show starting as a teenager is what leads to life long struggles with it, and I can see from the stories above that most of you did. I watched my parents tear the house apart looking for a cigarette when they'd run out, I've watched a good friend, heavy smoker, die in her 40's from lung cancer, and I've blessed the day our locality forbade smoking in bars as well as restaurants so we could socialize w/o 2nd hand smoke, and the day I realized that after a large party with music, dancing and tons of booze there wasn't a single cigarette in any of the ashtrays I put out. My parents and mom-in-law pretty much quit cold turkey 40 years ago...I'm still amazed at their strength since I see how hard it is. I wish all you guys the best of luck...and I do read that ON THE AVERAGE it takes about 5 tries to quit, so anyone who's on try #7 is just compensating for those who made it on try #3--hang in there.
    Also agree with everyone who said don't give up nicotine and caffeine on the same day. Just giving up caffeine alone can give you a horrendous hangover feeling if you drink a lot!
    One solution I've read about that I haven't seen above takes off from the "just give up the first cigarette of the day" joke.... Make a list of all your usual cigarette times. Then give up the first cigarette of the day, but smoke the 2nd and others as normal (not adding any at the end ). After a week or two, or whenever you think you have that craving/habit pretty much under control move on to giving up the new "first cigarette of the day"--that is, the one that used to be the 2nd cig. And so on. It cuts your nicotine habit gradually, and it's a variation of the "one day at a time" thing...anyone can give up smoking for "an hour" or however long it is til the 2nd cigarette of the day.
    Another little hint I'm told by former smokers that helps is for those after meal cigarettes, get a traveler's toothbrush and paste kit and excuse yourself to go brush your teeth thoroughly instead. A health twofer since your dentist probably wants you to do that anyway!
    Hang in there....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213