+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 179 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone pregnant?

Oh, karna, they look so sweet!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Thanks lildago!

What precious babies Karna!

After my friend gave birth to her second child, the nurse came in the room to check up on her, only to find the husband sleeping in the bed and my friend sitting in the chair. I have to admit, I didn't think my husband could make it through the labor (we placed bets on how long it would take him to faint), but he was my rock. I don't think I could've made it without him.

My labor did end with a c-section, after Pytocin, breaking the water, then pushing (I did dilate to 10) did not work. I think I talked about the whole thing in this thread, but I put it in spoiler tags out of respect for the future mommies. I could not stand hearing any birth stories when I was pregnant.
    Last edited by lildago; 01-15-2007 at 01:57 AM.

Oh, Karna, what a beautiful picture. You have two adorable kiddos.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose
    My labor, on the other hand, was 4 days of pure hell..
    Holy cow! I thought I had it bad I guess someone always has it worse. Poor you. *pats your shoulder* I'll spoiler tag part of my experience (thought its not too bad) in case the moms-to-be don't want to read it.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I was in labor for two days and that was horrible enough. I was a month early, so they had tried to stop my labor for the first day. I kept dilating anyway, so they ended up letting me go ahead the next day. After they stopped giving me the drugs that were supposed to stop my contractions, it was only a few hours before I was ready to push. It took me almost 45 minutes of pushing and they were debating a c-section when I finally pushed her out.

Boy, it was all worth it, though. It's this huge feeling of accomplishment when you feel them pass out of you that overrides the pain and everything else. Biologically, i also think there's something in your brain that keeps you from remembering what the pain feels like. I remembering being in pain, but I don't remember what it felt like, if that makes sense.

karna, those are two beautiful babies.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Beautiful picture karna! Thank you so much for sharing.

What a sweet picture Karna!

I had my 20 week US yesterday, everything looks normal. We found out our peanut is a boy!! My hubby is so excited.

I have a question for all you experienced mommies. What are your feelings on epidural vs. natural birth for first time moms? Both my husband and mom are encouraging me to just get an epidural, but I am just not sure. I don't generally do very well with pain, but I don't know if labor would affect me the same way... Thoughts?
    Here comes Avery! April 10, 2006

Congrats on your baby boy!!!

You might want to start out without an epidural and see how long you can last. Lots of women have been surprised at how much pain they can tolerate. When you can't take it anymore, just ask for an epidural.

Just make sure the nurse let you know when it's your last chance to get one.

karna-your children are BEAUTIFUL!

cahalanmac-congratulation on your boy! how exciting. I'm with Desert Rose. Wait to see how the labor progresses. You may be surprised and find it isn't that bad. But then again, you may want that epidural and should feel free to ask for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cahalanmac
    What a sweet picture Karna!

I had my 20 week US yesterday, everything looks normal. We found out our peanut is a boy!! My hubby is so excited.

I have a question for all you experienced mommies. What are your feelings on epidural vs. natural birth for first time moms? Both my husband and mom are encouraging me to just get an epidural, but I am just not sure. I don't generally do very well with pain, but I don't know if labor would affect me the same way... Thoughts?
    Congrats on your little boy.

Labor isn't like any other pain, so its hard to say how you'll handle it. My doctor gave me some excellent advice when I was talking to her about how I'd like things to go. She said that you should talk out with your doctor what your best-case scenario is (meds, epidurals, no meds, etc) and then be prepared to jettison it. There are so many variables, that you just have to go with the flow.

They used to tell you that you had to have an epidural fairly early in the process or they wouldn't let you have one. Nowadays, most hospitals will let you dilate all the way to 8cm before they stop allowing them. That's why its important to talk it out with your doctor. Find out the cutoff point before you're in that position so you can make an informed decision about how you're doing when you get to it.

I have a phobia about anesthesia, especially epidurals, and narcotics make me throw up. I wanted to avoid all of it at all costs. However, I ended up in early labor which they attempted to stop for an entire day. I think that while most women can deal with the pain, the sheer marathon of pain can be overwhelming. I'd gone in thinking that, at most, it would be 24 hours. I hadn't anticipated that I'd go into labor early. So when I passed the 24 hour mark, I was exhausted and a little panicked at how much longer it might be. I was at 7cm then and I relented and had the epidural. Then I promptly fell asleep for a solid hour, right through the contractions. By the time I woke up, it was wearing off and I was almost ready to push.

So, my advice would be to talk it over with your doctor beforehand so you can come up with a Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C that you're comfortable with. Then be ready to let one go and go with the next if the first fails. If you don't want an epidural, start out without one. Then just see how it goes. I did have a L&D nurse give me important advice, too. If you can't move your legs at all, then the epidural is turned up too high and you won't be able to push effectively. She said to request to have it turned down some if they have it one that strong. Mine was worn off by pushing time, so the point was moot, but I thought it was good advice.

Good luck.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread