+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 179 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone pregnant?

Premium Member
    Hell No!

Congratulations to all of you who are though. Pregnancy can be unpleasant but it's so worth it.

Me me! It's a boy, due Aug 1st
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Well reading the book suggestions I do have a few I liked. I will warn you I am a bit of a natural birth type. I had my daughter with midwives and am planning for the same with this one. I actually wanted a home birth the first time, but was unable to do it as I had to go to the hospital to get oxytocin, as I stalled at 8 cm. So I am again planning on a home birth, but will accept whatever needs to happen in order to ensure a safe delivery.

Anyway, for any expectant Moms who would like to read some books a little more on the tree hugger (although they have great information for anyone) side some great books are:
    Ina May Gaskin's Guide to childbirth - Ina May Gaskin
    Birthing From Within - Pam England and Rob Horowitz
    Any of the books by Dr. William Sears (attachment parenting proponent) he covers pregnancy and child rearing.

I personally have read many books that both work with my parenting style and many that don't. If you can sign books out of the library and give them a look first do so. You need to find books that work for your personality (and your baby's), not one's that make you feel guilty for not doing good enough.
    At this turning point in our relationship with Earth, we work for an evolution: from dominance to partnership; from fragmentation to connection; from insecurity, to interdependence. The David Suzuki Foundation

Congrats Sunrayz99...and to all the other pregnant FORTers! I too am pregnant. I'm currently 27 weeks (if I remember correctly). This will be # 3 and as 2boysmom said a bit of a surprise, but definitely a pleasant one.

charfred - I hope you are able to have your home birth. I wanted to have a natural delivery with both of my children but ended up with a complicated vaginal delivery and a c-section. This time I hope to have a v-bac but like you said, I will do anything to ensure a safe delivery.

I hope everyone progresses smoothly through their pregnancies!

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Congrats to all you glowing, gorgeous moms to bes! Especially my favorite Applesauce!!!
    I gave birth just a month ago (tomorrow Duke will be 1 month!) I had a C-section and am recovering pretty well, Just really tired! I have new pics, Ill post when I get a chance!

I wish you all the best!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Congrats to all the mom's to be out there.

As for me, I sure as heck hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky
    Congratulations!

One of my coworkers is a new parent and swears by a book called Babywise. He said it helped schedule their baby's eating and sleeping and they can sleep through the night.

I don't have children and have never heard of the book before. Maybe others on the board will know more about it.

This book was recommended to me by one of my friends and I've been using the things it says in there with my now 4-month old. I really like the results. Of course, it's a completely personal decision, so I would recommend reading a few different books and choosing what you feel most comfortable with.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope it goes well and your baby is happy and healthy. Congrats to all other new/expecting FoRT moms/dads as well.
    "They want you to do a TV show?"
    "Well, they want me to come up with an idea. I don't have any ideas."
    "C'mon, how hard is that? Look at all the junk that's on TV."
    - George and Jerry, in "The Pitch"

Congratulations to all you new moms and moms-to-be. I envy you. Hubby and I talked about adoption a few years ago nothing ever came of it. Since my daughter is grown and married looks like I'll have to settle for grandchildren someday!

I knew I'd find Tallulah and Apple in here. I can't believe Duke is a month old already. That's great.

Congratulations to all you expectant mothers. The stork brought our bundle of joy to us via adoption, so I have no advice to give any of you, except try to get others to dote on you as much as possible before the baby comes.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky
    One of my coworkers is a new parent and swears by a book called Babywise. He said it helped schedule their baby's eating and sleeping and they can sleep through the night.

I don't have children and have never heard of the book before. Maybe others on the board will know more about it.
    Marybeth indicated that this book is controversial. I think it also bears mentioning that the AAP (American Association of Pediatricians) have criticized it severely. I strongly believe that there is no one right way to parent, even from child to child in the same family. But a line should be drawn if there is a risk of physical harm to an infant.

One such book, On Becoming Babywise, has raised concern among pediatricians because it outlines an infant feeding program that has been associated with failure to thrive (FTT), poor weight gain, dehydration, breast milk supply failure, and involuntary early weaning. A Forsyth Medical Hospital Review Committee, in Winston-Salem N.C., has listed 11 areas in which the program is inadequately supported by conventional medical practice.The Child Abuse Prevention Council of Orange County, Calif., stated its concern after physicians called them with reports of dehydration, slow growth and development, and FTT associated with the program. And on Feb. 8, AAP District IV passed a resolution asking the Academy to investigate "Babywise," determine the extent of its effects on infant health and alert its members, other organizations and parents of its findings.
    Source: http://www.ezzo.info/Aney/aneyaap.htm

It just reinforces the notion that you should let your inner voice be your guide. Being a new mom is very intimidating, but you will find that when that newborn cries, your body physically reacts - essentially, even though you don't know what to do, your body knows what to do. If you find yourself wanting to nurse but stopping because of a book, do what you think is right for you and your baby.

I would also recommend picking up a copy of Vicki Lovine's Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy. It's funny and informative, and feels a lot less like onerous homework than most pregnancy books.

Hearty congratulations to all you folks who are preggers.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread