+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 179 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone pregnant?

Quote Originally Posted by PianoGal
    BlondieGirl -- you are demonstrating such unbelievable strength! After everything you have been through, it's amazing that you are still able to come in here and read all these posts and wish us well. Thanks for your kind words, and you remain in my prayers.
    Thanks PianoGal.

And, I feel much better...it is because of my FORT friends who gave me so much comfort!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

PianoGal,

Back when I was working FT, I had a rather large team of management and employees. There were several occassions where I hired or promoted someone and the next thing we knew she was pregnant. It happened and we dealt with it. Just be sure to keep your supervisor posted on your status...will you be going back to work, won't you, when, etc. The only time it was frustrating for us is when we couldn't make a plan of action because the employee wasn't communicating their status to us. Otherwise, it was just a part of our job to make a fair and reasonable accomodation.

Good luck with everything!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    (we Canadian moms are allowed a year-long leave with 55% of our pre-pregnancy earnings paid for the duration)

Well, there is my solution --- I should move to Canada!

My family has been telling me that if I want to, I can get away with waiting a little longer than I would have been able to at my old job. These people don't know me, and are less likely to notice the expanding waistline.

Little bit of irony, though....I lost about 30 pounds in the year before I got pregnant. In that last month, I bought one amazing pair of "skinny pants" that I totally loved, and I only got to wear them twice before I got pregnant and started bloating. One of those two times was on the interview! Good thing it's mostly men that are totally devoted to their wives and families, and therefore wouldn't notice something like that!

So I have the cushion of my "fat clothes" before I need to start wearing maternity, so that might buy me a couple of extra weeks. The problem is that 4 months into the pregnancy = 1 month on the job, etc. There is no way I'll be overly established by the time I have to tell.

I guess I've got a lot of thinking to do....I still haven't totally solidified things in my own mind about how long to be out and my plans for afterwards. Your posts made me realize that I MUST do that before I breathe a word of this to anyone at the office.

PianoGal- I too lost 30 lbs before getting PG. It is so sad I can't fit into my skinny clothes anymore. But like you said, the good news I have some of my older clothes until I need to get maternity clothes. I ahve already gained 8 lbs straight to the belly, I am almost 3 months....

Congrats sunray!

As I mentioned in another post a long time ago, we donated almost all of our baby things the weekend before we discovered we were pregnant. All we kept were the crib, high chair, a cradle made by my father which has been out on loan and a fancy Pump in Style breastpump which has also been out on loan. Of course I made the person get their own disposable parts for the breast pump. Well, I was going through the baby items I have purchased so far, the items my mom has sent and some items given to us at a small shower that was held for my husband. We look to be in pretty decent shape with all the little baby sleepers, socks, onesies, etc. What I completely forgot about was BREASTFEEDING! I received a catalog in the mail today from "Motherwear" and realized I need to stock up on nursing bras, breast pads, get my pump back and all that fun stuff. I don't know if my breasts can handle another round of breastfeeding! I have never considered cosmetic surgery but it might be necessary by the time I'm through with baby #3. Or should I say by the time he/she is through with me.

It's really amazing how unprepared we are for this baby. With the first two, we had the nursery done, all the clothes laundered and ready to go, the bags packed, etc. This time around, we don't even know where the poor baby crib is going to be stationed, because it sure won't fit in any of the bedrooms. We aren't even ready in regards to the cars. We need to see if the rear facing car seat will fit in the back of my car with the other two seats back there. It's going to be VERY tight. We definitely can't fit three in my husband's car. We are probably going to sell our house this August, after the baby arrives, and we hope to delay any major purchases, such as a new vehicle until we figure out the housing.

Since I'm on the topic of cars, does anyone out there have a Toyota Sienna or a Honda Odyssey? If so, what do you like/dislike about them. Those are a couple of the vehicles we are considering for our growing family. We intend to sell my husband's car and keep our mid-sized SUV. We really don't want to have 2 SUV's in the family so we were thinking about a mini-van...perfect for all those long driving trips we take.

Sorry for my long rambling post.

This might be TMI and for that I am sorry, but I have chosen to formula feed. I only get 2 months maternity leave paid through work and I would hate to get the baby started on my milk then be pumping a bunch for day care, so I have chosen not to do it, everyone has their own thoughts on this, but I thought about it long and hard and I don't see it working.... I know formula is expensive and maybe not as vitamin-filled, but I can't see it working the other way....

sunray, if you'd like to nurse, you could do it for 4-6 weeks then wean to formula.

PianoGal, I was planning on quitting after my first child was born and although I didn't have to, told my manager confidentially so that they could be thinking about replacing me. I shared responsibilities with a really great gal and didn't want her to be swamped without any warning and trusted my manager. That was fine until the company did a manager shuffle. My new manager didn't know the meaning of confidential, and soon the whole department knew. And I got loaded with all of the junk work. Good Luck.

sunrayz99 - what ever works for you and your baby is what's best, don't let anyone try to tell you different. By all accounts your baby gets the best of what he/she needs in the first 3 months so, if you'd like to start out nursing and then wean (like Veej said) you get the best of both worlds. If you're worried about nipple confusion you can always pump and start with a bottle right from birth. You have loads of options, do what is best for you and anyone with an opinion that differs from your's (for your own child and body :rolleyes ) be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by charfred
    Well reading the book suggestions I do have a few I liked. I will warn you I am a bit of a natural birth type. I had my daughter with midwives and am planning for the same with this one. I actually wanted a home birth the first time, but was unable to do it as I had to go to the hospital to get oxytocin, as I stalled at 8 cm. So I am again planning on a home birth, but will accept whatever needs to happen in order to ensure a safe delivery.

Anyway, for any expectant Moms who would like to read some books a little more on the tree hugger (although they have great information for anyone) side some great books are:
    Ina May Gaskin's Guide to childbirth - Ina May Gaskin
    Birthing From Within - Pam England and Rob Horowitz
    Any of the books by Dr. William Sears (attachment parenting proponent) he covers pregnancy and child rearing.

I personally have read many books that both work with my parenting style and many that don't. If you can sign books out of the library and give them a look first do so. You need to find books that work for your personality (and your baby's), not one's that make you feel guilty for not doing good enough.
    Love, love, love Dr. Sears. We are big attachment parenters here. My DD just turned two, and I wish I was pregnant. Hopefully soon.

Congrats. It's a wonderful, wonderful journey and you are only beginning. Wow, I'm getting teary-eyed over here, lol.
    Proud mommy to Tessa Kate
    http://stores.ebay.com/tamarastreasurechest

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie
    Congratulations to all the new mommies and the mommies to be

I don't have any yet. We are currently trying though and can't wait for the day I find out I am.
    Hey, combatcutie, if you are trying, a GREAT web site is tryingtoconceive.com. I love it. I've been visiting it since early 2002, and they were a great source of comfort after it taking us so long to get pregnant. It also has great advice for those who aren't having any trouble but are just trying naturally. It's a discussion board format.
    Proud mommy to Tessa Kate
    http://stores.ebay.com/tamarastreasurechest

+ Reply to Thread