+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 179 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone pregnant?

omg do not shell out $26 for that Bella Band .. go to the nearest fabric shop and get yourself a metre of spandex. It'll cost you about $8 and you can make more than one.

As for pregnancy jeans .. I had a style that I loved pre-preg and I went to the fabric store and bought a pregnancy panel - I cut out a U shaped piece in the front of my fave jeans (I have about 6 pair of the same style) and voila I had the best of both worlds.
    I have to admit though - I only worked into my 7th month and I just got a 'pregnancy set' from the Sears catalogue. 5 stretchy pieces that all worked together.
    It's just too much money to spend on a one time thing (if you only plan on having one like we did)

IMO Maternity clothes are a little bit revealing these days. I was never ashamed of my baby belly but I didn't want it on display either!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Remember, no one expects pregnant women to have a huge wardrobe. I had to work in an office environment for both pregnancies, and I bought two pairs of maternity pants and a couple of *nice* tops from a specialty maternity store (probably cost me about $250) and a pair of maternity jeans from Wal-mart for $29.99. A plus-size friend gave me a couple of tops and dresses, and I was set.

Don't forget to raid the husband's wardrobe, either...there's a gold mine on his side of the closet, even if it's just an old dress shirt or T-shirt to wear around the house. Those old button-down dress shirts are good for when you're nursing, too.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I've been reading about the maternity clothes & although I don't have time right now to post about it, I have a coupon for Gap Maternity that I would be happy to e-mail everyone. You can use it on-line or at a Gap Maternity store. It is 10% off $85 purchase, plus free shipping for on-line orders. It doesn't expire until 6/1/05. PM me with your e-mail address & I will forward it to you.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Pianogal! Congrats on your pregnancy! As for maternity clothes I got a few online at Amazon.com....the brand is called Duo and its buy JC Penneys. Just click on womens clothes and them maternity. It was pretty decently priced and I still wear what I bought...(They are comfy!)
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Are there any resale shops in your area? They frequently have maternity clothes.

I got most of my maternity clothes from Penney's with my first and am getting most of them again this time from Penney's. Also check out ebay, you can find some good deals if you don't mind gently used clothing. There are some new items too but those go for a little higher.

I didnt even bother to check out maternity clothes, not because I didnt want to but because I have a hard enough time buying clothes. I am such a shortie. Ever since I was a kid my mom used to have to drag me clothes shopping.

Duxxy, you sound so creative. I am envious. I cant even sew a button on a pair of jeans.

PianoGal, congrats to you. I am so happy for you!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

FORT Newbie
    Wow, what a great bunch of suggestions from everyone! I did some surfing at websites of some of the stores people suggested, and I feel much better. I can probably wait another week or two until I start shopping...but at least I'm not totally dreading it anymore!

Can I just say again how much I'm enjoying talking to you all?

I still haven't really gone "public" with my pregnancy news. My closest friends and family know, and that's it. So this is one of my only outlets for much-needed pregnancy talk!!! If all goes well at next week's doctors appointment, I'll start telling the world at that point. (14.5 weeks)

Huge dilemma, though, is when to break the news at work. I know this is always a difficult decision for everyone, but I find myself in a really tough spot....

I just started a new job last week. I found out I was pg LITERALLY the day after I accepted the job, which was almost two months before I started. They seem like good people, most of whom are very family-oriented --- so I'm sure they will be happy for me on some level. But I still expect them to be TOTALLY disappointed. Even if all goes well and there are no complications leading to early leave or bed rest, they'll get less than 6 months of work out of me before I leave! It's a pretty high-profile position within the company, and they really sweetened their offer in order to get me to accept the job. I'm not afraid of any sort of illegal recourse, but I just feel like I'm going to totally disappoint everyone there and that's a horrible way to start a new job.

Part of me thinks I should come clean ASAP as a courtesey to the company --- shows good will, and lets them have as much time as needed to plan for my absence. But on the other hand, I'm still in "trying to make a good first impression" mode --- and I'm so afraid that this news will kill that!

I doubt there's a "right" answer for this....but I kind of just needed to vent!

Sorry my posts are so long, by the way....I'll try to work on that in the future.

And BlondieGirl -- you are demonstrating such unbelievable strength! After everything you have been through, it's amazing that you are still able to come in here and read all these posts and wish us well. Thanks for your kind words, and you remain in my prayers.

PianoGal, your situation is a tough one. No easy answers, either. There's no telling how your colleagues will react to the news. My own personal rule for outing pregnancies is at approximately the end of the first trimester, which is about where you are now.

Remember that the most important thing now is to look after yourself and don't stress about your job. However, let your immediate supervisor know you are planning to return after the birth (if that's the case) and how long you expect to take for a maternity leave. I hear that moms in the U.S. aren't entitled to much of a leave (we Canadian moms are allowed a year-long leave with 55% of our pre-pregnancy earnings paid for the duration) so we're not talking about that much time off. If you can tell them up front how long you will be gone, it will make the news a little easier for them to handle.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Pianogirl, I went through something similar. I got a big promotion, and less than a week later found out I was pregnant. I don't even like remembering those days; it was very stressful. I waited as long as I possibly could before telling them. I really think it was the right choice, because they still have months to prepare for your departure if you tell them at 5 months versus 2 months. You're not going to get much past 5 months without a little explaining to do.

On the other hand, at 3 months you might feel settled in the job enough to break the news. Definitely I would give it at least that much time - that way it won't seem like you're brand new. Good luck!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread