+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 179 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone pregnant?

PianoGal -- I am not and have never been pregnant, but I am always jealous of the maternity clothes at Target. They've got some cute stuff, and some of it would work for a business-casual environment.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Welcome Pianogal!

I must have grown dramatically in the past several days because I put on my favorite pregnancy shirt and it's a bit tight across the middle...OK, it's REALLY tight and pulling across the belly OK, I'LL ADMIT IT....I GAINED 8 POUNDS IN THE PAST 4 WEEKS! I'm going into the home stretch and I really hate having to buy maternity clothes that I will only wear for a matter of weeks. Whenever I sit down, my belly is pushing up into my breasts. When I get into the car, I have to stretch my body out and wiggle around for a minute to find a comfortable position. I'm not complaining though because this is the first pregnancy I've had where I haven't been completely swollen...but then again, there's still some time for that.

Oh well, just thought I'd share. I hope everyone else is hanging in there.

Pianogal, I just saw your post. I feel your pain. I get depressed everytime I try to buy maternity clothes. The only ones that truly fit me comfortably cost a fortune ($150 for maternity jeans)...like "babystyle". I did buy a couple of their basic bottoms on sale (their website usually has a lot of sale sizes) and they fit really well. Plus they don't look like maternity clothes. I bought some of their basic shirts too which have held up nicely. I should add that their bottoms tend to run a bit large so I usually size down.

I don't like wearing the tops/dresses that tie behind my back. They look cute on everyone but me. Everywhere I go, that's what they have. I was in "Old Navy" this weekend and the selection was very casual. Lots of cropped pants and tunics. Cute things but the mediums wouldn't come all the way up on my rear end and the larges literally hung down on my hips. What's a PG girl to do? Motherhood Maternity has basic tee's for really cheap and they had some nice pull on loose fitting linen pants and some sweat pants. I also found some great jeans there for only $29.00. They actually fit me better than non-maternity jeans.

I just hesitate to spend a lot of money on clothes for a few months....especially for things I don't like or feel comfortable in.

Good luck on your hunt for maternity fashion!

Pianogal - congrats on the pregnancy. Stores for maternity wear. I agree Target has some cute stuff, I found a lot a JC Penney. I had to dress up for work and they had stuff that wasn't too expensive. If you can not find it in the store, there is always their catalog. I was lucky and have the JCP outlet store 5 miles away so I was able to find things there.

FORT Newbie
    $150 for jeans?!?!?

Thanks for the great suggestions. I also remember thinking the Target stuff looks cute...that is a good thought. My local JC Penney just closed, but a Target sprang up in its place. I will check out the JCP website and catalog, though.

Applesauce, good luck in the home stretch, and thank you for the dose of reality. It hadn't even occurred to me that I could end up totally between sizes. That will be my luck -- I'll finally find clothes I like and they won't come in any sort of size that fits me!

How are the clothes sized? Are there 2nd-trimester sizes and 3rd-trimester sizes? Someone had told me that if you're a size 8 before you get pregnant, that means you'll be a size 8 in maternity clothes. How does that work when you're constantly growing?

Quote Originally Posted by PianoGal
    How are the clothes sized? Are there 2nd-trimester sizes and 3rd-trimester sizes? Someone had told me that if you're a size 8 before you get pregnant, that means you'll be a size 8 in maternity clothes. How does that work when you're constantly growing?
    It's because "Ideally", you shouldnt gain weight anywhere but in your belly and boobies... so your arms, legs etc would all be the same size... So they would make a size 8 pant, and just put a big ol strechy pannel in the belly area to accomodate your size. Shirts will have the same back pannel, and arm holes.. they'll just be cut differently in the belly/boobs area. If you hold up a flat maternity shirt youll see it's like a triangle and just gets wide on the bottom. However, if you are a lady who gains her baby weight all over.. then the whole theory is bust. It's just a big overgenneralization.

I actually feel BETTER about my body! Before I had to buy XL clothes to fit my chest, wich made my body look shapeless and lumpy. Now that I wear maternity clothes I can wear Medium because they accomodate my Big top. I am in my third trimester *so far have gained over 25 pounds* and for the first time in my life, someone told me "wow you look so tiny" and my evil stepfather even said "you look like you've gotten smaller everywhere but your belly"
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    PianoGal, I am not pregnant yet, but this is something I have been looking at closely. Like you said the nice clothes are so expensive and the inexpensive clothes are ugly There is a store around here that is called Dots (not sure if you have one in your area) that has very nice plus size clothes (up to date clothes). There clothes are very inexpensive. I know that a pregnant woman has to have some maternity clothes, but I plan on buying plus size clothes (they have expandable waste line) Just a thought
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Pianogal,
    A lot of good suggestions have already been made. Personally, I do not care for the Old Navy maternity, as they do not seem very sturdy or covering. My staples have come from Motherhood and Target. I tried to just go to a Plus girl store (I am normally a size 8), and although the clothes did accomodate my tummy, they swam on me everywhere else. I found it very uncomfortable, and they made me feel bigger everywhere.
    My friends and I hold a maternity exchange where we share outfits with the current pregnant girl. It works out great except when we've been pregnant together!

Just found out we are now having a little girl! Guess I need to change my FORT screen name! (Quite a bit shocking as we had already named "Him"!)

Hahaha, oops 2boysmom. A little balance/shift in the household might be fun tho I'm still PG with my first *a boy* and I'm already fantasizing about the next one (a girl) *wink*

I just got back from my apt, and all of my bloodwork came back great.
    The doctor was shocked that I lost 3 pounds since my last apt 3 weeks ago... But I just basically said "told ya so" to them. Always bugging me about my weight and saying if I'm not careful I'll get GD... well nyanyanya, I'm healthy and exactly where I should be with my weight. :phhht
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Pianogal, find a mother's club in your area. They are an amazing resource for maternity clothes, especially if you have a special night somewhere in the coming months and don't want to spend a fortune on a nice dress you will wear once. Plus, mother's clubs are so handy in so many ways when the baby comes. It helps to meet other new moms going through the same bewildering journey you are, and you'll never meet another group of women so willing to discuss every tiny detail about diaper changing, etc. (Your friends without kids won't want to know, and your friends with older kids will be onto to other problems.) Heck, it's great just to have somewhere to go where you don't have to worry about your baby getting fussy in public, since you're all in the same boat. I highly recommend finding a Mother's club in your area.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread