+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is anyone pregnant?

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    ouchie Tallulah!!! Be well!!!

AmyKay - Chloe is absolutely beautiful!!! Dare I say....YUMMY!!! Enjoy every moment. I woke up yesterday to Madeline being 8 *months* old already

Being a mom

This text brought tears to my eyes and shivers down my spine. I thought I'd share it with all mothers and mothers-to-be (also posted in the OASIS).

-----------------------------
    We are sitting at lunch one day when my daughter casually mentions that she and her husband are thinking of “starting a family.”

“We are taking a survey” she says half-jokingly. “Do you think I should have a baby?”

“It will change your life”, I say, carefully keeping my tone neutral.

"I know she says, no more sleeping in on the weekends, no more spontaneous vacations."

But that is not what I meant at all, I look at my daughter, trying to decide what to tell her. I want her to know what she will never learn in childbirth classes.

I want to tell her that the physical wounds of child bearing will heal, but becoming a mother will leave her with an emotional wound so raw that she will be forever vulnerable.

I considered warning her that she will never again read a newspaper without asking “what if that had been MY child?”

That every plane crash, every house fire will haunt her. That when she sees pictures of starving children, she will wonder if anything could be worse than watching your child die.

I look at her carefully manicured nails and stylish suit and think that no matter how sophisticated she is, becoming a mother will reduce her to the primitive level of a bear protecting her cub. That an urgent call of “MOM!” will cause her to drop a soufflé or her best crystal without a moments hesitation.

I feel that I should warn her that no matter how many years she has invested in her career, she will be professionally derailed by motherhood. She might arrange for childcare, but one day she will be going into an important business meeting and she will think of her babys sweet smell. She will have to use every ounce of discipline to keep her from running home, just to make sure her baby is alright.

I want my daughter to know that everyday decisions will no longer be routine. That a five year olds desire to go to the mens room rather than the womens at McDonalds will become a major dilemma. That right there in the midst of clattering trays, and screaming children, issues of independence and gender identity will be weighed against the prospect that a child molester may be lurking in that restroom..

However decisive she may be at the office she will second guess herself constantly as a mother.

Looking at my attractive daughter, I want to assure her that eventually she will shed the pounds of pregnancy, but she will never feel the same about herself.

That her life, now so important, will be of lesser value to her once she has a child. That she would give herself up in a moment to save her offspring, but will also begin to hope for more years not to accomplish her own dreams but to watch her child accomplish theirs.

I want her to know that a cesarean scar or shiny stretch marks will become badges of honor. My daughter’s relationship with her husband will change but not in the way she thinks.

I wish she could understand how much more you can love a man who is careful to powder the baby or who never hesitates to play with his child. I think she should know that she will fall in love with him again for reasons she would now find very unromantic.

I want to describe to my daughter the exhilaration of watching your child learn to ride a bike. I want to capture for her the belly laugh of a baby who is touching the soft fur of a dog or cat for the first time. I want her to taste the joy that is so real it actually hurts.

My daughters quizzical look makes me realize that tears have formed in my eyes. “You’ll never regret it,” I finally say. Then I reached across the table, squeezed my daughters hand and offered a silent prayer for her, and for me, and for all the mere mortal women who stumble their way into this most wonderful of callings.

DesertRose, as I said in Oasis, thanks for sharing that. It's a tearjerker.

Tomorrow, I'm having my 20 week sonogram. I'm excited and hope the baby cooperates so I can find out if I need to buy pink or blue. He/she's been very active the past few weeks and I'm hoping the little stinker will be still long enough to get a good glimpse.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    How exciting lildago! For some reason, I have a feeling your baby's a boy! I'm sure it's going to be adorable, smart and healthy, regardless of whether it has a pink or blue wardrobe!!!

I had my sono today but my hubby doesn't want to know the baby's gender. I found out but my lips are sealed. If I post here, it might get back to him. I did post a pic in my profile though.
    Last edited by lildago; 09-21-2006 at 09:03 PM.

Oh lildago, your baby is beautiful! My sonogram just shows a little tiny speck of a thing... Yours is an actual BABY!!! I still think it's a boy... but I can wait till after your husband finds out!

Thanks for the food tips. If you are what you eat, then this kid's going to be born a Saltine!

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Here are a few pics of Coco enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Tallulahbaby, Coco is absolutely stunning! She looks like a baby model...I LOVE the thick head of black hair!!!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    lildago - SO SO beautiful. I love sonograms!!!!

Tallulah - Coco is just yummy - how's Duke doing with her? Does he love her or want to send her back?

LoisLane - I read on another thread somewhere (good news maybe?) that you heard your little itty bitty heartbeat. That is the very best feeling in the world! Hope you're feeling well!!!

Maddie is almost 9 months now - time sure flies (new pic in profile)

I love those pictures, Tallulahbaby. I love the shot with the hand. Is that Duke's little face in that picture, too? He's not looking too sure about all this.

AmyKay, I missed the picture of Chloe. She's beautiful.

+ Reply to Thread