+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is anyone pregnant?

Congratulations, Lois, and best of luck with your pregnancy. We will all keep our fingers crossed for you.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyrock11 View Post
    Hey guys,

So, I had my first doctor's appointment yesterday, and he confirmed I was pregnant. YEA!!!!!!! I am due on April 15, which is my grandmother's birthday.

My first question for all of you who have had a baby already--is there any good website out there for expectant dads? My husband is being the biggest you know what right now. He doesn't think that something the size of a bean could possibly be making me tired and feel sick, etc., etc. He is being really insensitive about the situation and I want him to try to understand how I am feeling.
    Tinyrock, see if your local library has a book called:

"She's Having a Baby: And I'm having a Breakdown" by James Douglas Barron
    http://www.amazon.com/Shes-Having-Ba...e=UTF8&s=books

It's a great book written by a dad for expectant dads. It explains everything in manspeak so that the men can know what their wives/significant others are going through without feeling like they are being preached to. Trust me, the guy I dealt with when I was pregnant was a far cry from Mr. Wonderful, but it even did him some good and made him more sensitive to what was going on. Here's a hint that's a bit disgusting yet useful. Your guy will probably never read a pregnancy book. UNLESS you put it in the bathroom. Remove all other reading material and put that book in there for a few weeks.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Your guy will probably never read a pregnancy book. UNLESS you put it in the bathroom. Remove all other reading material and put that book in there for a few weeks.
    That is so true!

Congrats Lois! I'll be hoping for the best for you!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Can I ask you all--when did you all start getting food cravings and morning sickness and fatigue? With my first pregnancy (that ended badly), I was really fatigued at about 2 weeks. I craved foods I normally didn't like and some smells really began to repulse me at around 3 or 4 weeks.

I don't know whether this is psychosomatic or what, but I am already tired. And it would only be the first week. Although the fatigue could be caused by lack of sleep--I've been so excited I haven't been able to sleep through the night. Yes, I'm a little nuts!

And I took another pregnancy test today (that would be 3 in about 5 days) and I'm still pregnant. Yay. Not sure why I took it--I guess 'cause I have them (I bought 4, so I have one more left--not sure if I'll use that one, too )

The doctor has confirmed that I am indeed pregnant. He said my blood work shows that my HCG levels are very good, my progesterone levels are good, but my estrogen is on the lowish side. So he has me taking a baby aspirin every day (it's supposed to thin the blood--allowing blood to flow easier to my uterus and get where it needs it the most) so far.

Has anyone else had low estrogen?

Lois, don't worry. I had very early (in the first month) symptoms with both my pregnancies. But as you probably know, every pregnancy has both similarities and differences.

I think low estrogen mainly affects fertility, which obviously isn't your problem. A baby aspirin probably won't hurt you regardless.

If you're anything like me, I would pick up a pregnancy book. I personally loved What To Expect When You're Expecting, although I know a lot of other moms-to-be didn't care for it. I'm a details-orientated type, and a wee bit of a control freak, so I read the book cover to cover. Lots of good info in there.

And congratulations again on having your pregnancy confirmed.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Thanks AJane! As luck would have it, I donated all my pregancy books to the library when the doc told me we couldn't have kids. That's ok--I don't mind spending money on more books. This is what I call a good problem. All the nurses gave me a big hug and the doctor said he's never been happier to be proven wrong. I said all I needed to hear was a challenge (you'll never get pregnant!) for my body to go, "Oh yeah? We'll see about that."

Anyhow, hopefully I'll be yammering with you all for the next 8 or 9 months in this thread instead of in the "Talk about Your Troubles" section.

I've already lost my appetite and am forcing myself to eat. This is a first--usually I'm the person who's getting seconds while everyone's still picking away at their salads.

My husband bought me the baby aspirin--chewable strawberry flavored. I told him I'm not actually a baby and he didn't have to get me the flavored kind! (BTW, this baby aspirin is tasty--tastes like Sweet Tarts!)

Thanks again all!

I'm happy for you , Lois! Lots of saltines and ginger ale got me through those first couple months. Another book I like Is Your Pregnancy Week By Week. There's also Your Baby's First Year Week By Week.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    I'm happy for you , Lois! Lots of saltines and ginger ale got me through those first couple months.
    It's funny you should mention this 'cause I need to eat something when I take my prenatal vitamin or I start to feel nauseous. I have a stack of saltines for this ('cause I can't always eat a lot of breakfast).

giz
    With both of mine I felt dizzy and tired pretty much straight away. So that's perfectly normal. I didn't like What to Expect, as I found it on the bossy judgemental side. I liked Miriam Stoppard's book on pregnancy better. To each her own! I couldn't eat anything with a smell with the second baby. For nine months I ate dried cranberries, oatmeal, juices and sushi. And that's about it. Fingers crossed Lois!!!

+ Reply to Thread