+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What do you hate about the internet?

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    1) 3) I use IM for work, not for play.
    Yes!! My old ISP would alert others on the network when someone was online. Friends and strangers would constantly IM me. I would try to ignore it but the stupid window kept popping up. Friends were annoyed at me because I wouldn't IM with them for HOURS. I had dial-up at the time and frankly didn't want to spend hours responding to beeps and chimes. That is not why I logged on to the net. These people had my phone number and my email. Chit Chat can wait.

[/QUOTE]4) If you offer something for free, but then require registration to view it, you've just lost a "customer".[/QUOTE]

One of the local news sites here requires registration. I get my news from the non-registration sites.

Quote Originally Posted by colby_d
    This isn't the most annoying thing to me, but it just happened not too long ago.

I always have my sound on because I listen to music on my computer, and I hate when I go to sites that have those damn "shoot the papparazzi" adds where that guy keeps taking pictures and you actually hear it...over and over and over. I have to hit refresh (sometimes multiple times) just to get a different, silent add on top of the page.

That is my newest pet peave. I am trying to listen to music, but these stupid ::click, click, click:: are going off. They also have the same thing but with gladiators.

John whatever you do, please do not get those type of banners.

Hackers and pop-unders that evade my pop-up blocker. .

Pop OVER advertising or like someone mentioned early, scantily clad side ads where you can't minimize the screen and scroll over to avoid seeing it (the ad moves with it). I rarely go to chat rooms anymore, but when I do, there is always someone that will IM you and like, expect you to start a conversation with them, when THEY are the ones that IM'd YOU! When "attempt" to do so, they give like one word answers and when you stop responding to them, hoping they'd get the hint, they reply "HELLO??? HELLO????" Ahhh. lol

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterxGold
    I rarely go to chat rooms anymore, but when I do, there is always someone that will IM you and like, expect you to start a conversation with them, when THEY are the ones that IM'd YOU! When "attempt" to do so, they give like one word answers and when you stop responding to them, hoping they'd get the hint, they reply "HELLO??? HELLO????" Ahhh. lol
    Or if you ignore them altogether and they call you a b!tch. Yes, THAT makes me wish I had taken the time to respond. Hate that in real life, too. If you hit on me and I indicate that I am not interested, that does NOT make me a b!tch, it's because I have an IQ over 160. (Just kidding about the IQ- I just added that because of the first post in this thread. )

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterxGold
    Pop OVER advertising or like someone mentioned early, scantily clad side ads where you can't minimize the screen and scroll over to avoid seeing it (the ad moves with it). I rarely go to chat rooms anymore, but when I do, there is always someone that will IM you and like, expect you to start a conversation with them, when THEY are the ones that IM'd YOU! When "attempt" to do so, they give like one word answers and when you stop responding to them, hoping they'd get the hint, they reply "HELLO??? HELLO????" Ahhh. lol
    Oops!

FORT Anomaly

television w/o pity SUCKS

I just sort of needed to vent this somewhere, so I figured this spot might be the place... anyhow, I browse these boards somewhat religiously (at work), and I've just taken to noticing how freaking bitter and filled with hate almost every poster is over at twop. No offense to any of the people who might post at both places, but I've noticed an insane difference between the posters here at FORT and those over there. At least here, the "snarkiness" or whatever is at least backed up in someway. And not every single post is something awful about the person (I'm on the ANTM boards mostly)...

I don't know, I'm sorry for posting this, I just found it funny how I think I'd rather take hot pokers to my eyes than meet the majority of those people over at the twop boards. (And a lot of other boards, too, I guess)

It's funny how the internet is like this buffer for all of our bitterness and judgements (not all the time, mind you)... it just sort of makes me sad sometimes. Okay..... random rant and much needed vent done *deep breath*

A little off the track from all of you all, but I hate the internet, cause anyone who knows my name can pull up my driving record with the click of a mouse! Ouch!
    Go Tigers!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    HOW ABOUT PEOPLE WHO TYPE IN ALL CAPS!!!???!!!! AND USE EXCESSIVE PUNCTUATION!!!????!!!!!
    I get a weekly online newsletter from a candle supply site. The whole thing is always written in HUGE letters, and every sentence ends with exclamation points. !!!! I have stopped buying from them and I now just delete the newsletter because it's too painful to read.

1) If you haven't looked it up on Snopes, and it won't kill me in the next 30 days, don't include me on your distribution list.
    Amen. I have started looking up the offending crap on Snopes and then send the link in a "reply to all" and tell everyone it's a hoax. Just for fun.

2) "Reply All" is the work of the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO
    Or if you ignore them altogether and they call you a b!tch.
    I got called a b!tch last night from a little 19 year old punk from New York! (yeah, "punk" is in his screename). I rarely get on AIM because of him. I talked to him for a while and he was pretty cool until he started bothering me to show him pics of my uh "goodies" and I wouldn't. I blocked him but he has Trillion or some device that lets him be online with like 20 different screenames at once and he im'd me from another name and said "OMG ARE YOU BLOCKING ME!!! WHY!?!??!" Ugh. He im'd me last night 2 seconds after I logged on and when I didn't respond right away, he got furious and informed me that I was a biotch and he will be "BLOCKING ME! EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY!". LOL oh noes! Please don't!

+ Reply to Thread