+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What do you hate about the internet?

I can see everyone has already hit my big issues: Spam, Popups, and those abbreviations.

And your bird can sing! Strangelove's Avatar
    Howabout those chain link websites? Like when I was looking for free wallpapers... I kept getting linked to top 100 wallpaper sites, which linked to other wallpaper sites, which linked to the same top 100 wallpaper sites. I ended up with no wallpapers, and an additional 50 spyware entries in my spybot log. Not to mention the inevitable cramming of my subconcious full of internet ads. I could've sworn I had a dream about "Acooma" once. Heehaw!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I also hate all the poems, inspirational writings, jokes, words of "wisdom" and scare stories that people pass along to their entire address book. Even if it's something really special and cute, I just don't want to see it because I ALREADY RECEIVED NINE COPIES OF IT OVER THE YEARS. Geez! I swear the longest living one is that fake cookie recipe story - I remember getting that one in a typed chain letter, and it still lives on the Internet!

And of course, I have one friend in particular who seems to have no internal filter on these. She sends me every blasted one. She seems like a normal person other than this quirk.
    I always know it's more of that sappy angel-wing crap as soon as I open something and music starts playing. I can't hit delete fast enough. Especially when it says "I better get this back". My friend hasn't gotten the hint yet that she never gets any of that back from me. I delete them all. :rolleyes

A really fun thing to do is when you get one of those "scare stories"... go to one of the urban legend type websites and find the story, then fire back a "reply to all" with the link to the article and you'll be telling everyone in their address book that this person just sent them a hoax. I've gotten a couple of people to stop sending me crap that way.

Good for you Marleybone, strike one against the Internet(s)! You can usually - strike that, you can always find it on snopes.com.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Premium Member
    There's another one called BreakTheChain.org for junk e-mail and misinformation.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    This one is relatively new for me, and I guess that I kind of signed myself up for it, but lately, college e-mails have really been getting on my nerves. Not the first one from a school, mind you; it's the ones that keep on sending them and sending them and sending them. I don't think some of the schools realize that the more e-mails they send,the more likely I am to not go there

Another one of my pet peeves are those websites that have annoying pop-up boxes that won't let you leave... today, I was using AOL instead of Internet Explorer, and I somehow got to this one website that, when I tried to back click, held me hostage with those annoying pop-ups. Talk about annoying...

Fort Member
    Marleybone thats just what I do too. As soon as I get that chain letter, soppy or scary story stuff I check it on the urbanlegend web site then tell them its a hoax. It works (with some) as I dont seem to get nearly as much as I used too.
    Web sites that only work with flash plugins annoy me as well as our server at work will not allow them so I cant look at them.
    On the subject of angel wings and friendship emails, every month someone at work sends those annoying friendship questionares, whats your fav colour, fav music middle name and so on, that you fill out and send back and also to seven of your closest "friends". I never respond but she wont get the hint so I started filling them out with silly and rude answers she thought it was funny and still didnt get the hint, so now I am back to just deleting them

pop-ups, spoofs, and spam, especially from those whom I've specifically asked to remove me from their list, but just need to send things out to everyone they know.

There's a woman I've asked in person and on line to take me off her list, and the last time I received something, I sent a fake auto-reply warning her that she'd be reported to her ISP. Today I found another "important warning" from her, and did report her. I really hope it helps.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

Spam no longer bothers me thanks to email filters, and pop-ups are a thing of the past thanks to Firefox.

I do hate pop-unders, though, because you simply can't block them. I also hate AOL speak.

"how r u 2day??? im gr8!"

That just bothers me.

One other thing is the fact I can do EVERYTHING online now. I'm not say it's a bad thing, but I can shop for any of my toys online with little effort. This ease causes pain on my credit card, however.

Add me to the list that hates AOL speak. Gah.

I also hate the rotten excuses for people that have nothing better to do than create new viruses/worms/trojans...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread