+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Ads: We're Not Buying

Super Bowl Ads: We're Not Buying

Super Bowl Ads: We're Not Buying
    Sun, Jan 26, 2003 10:21 PM PDT

by Rick Porter
    Zap2it, TV News

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - When the Super Bowl is a yawner -- and to be fair, Sunday's (Jan. 26) wasn't, at least not quite -- the tens of millions of people watching the game look to the ads, which are often bold and funny.

Except this year.

During the game's (final score: Tampa Bay 48, Oakland 21) 23 commercial breaks -- pregame, postgame and halftime excluded -- there weren't more than a handful of ads that truly demanded attention. With the dot-com flameout, beer, cars and soft drinks dominated ad time, making for a fairly monotonous set of ads -- you know, like most other sporting events.

Here's a highly subjective rundown of the good and bad of the Super Bowl of advertising:

MVC -- Most Valuable Commercial: Trident. The what's-up-with-the-fifth-dentist bit has been a joke on "Friends" and doubtless part of more than one stand-up routine. It was a bit crude, but we finally found out why that guy didn't recommend sugarless gum to his patients.

Best Self-Deprecation: Country singer Willie Nelson, who's had problems with the Internal Revenue Service, for a spot plugging tax preparer H&R Block.

"Whoa." Award: The trailers for "The Matrix" sequels, due this summer and in November. They look as visually arresting as the first film and easily made the biggest impact of the several movie promos that aired during the game (although the ad for "Hulk" was pretty good too).

Biggest Waste of a Seven-Figure Sum: Subway. Jared dreams about new sauces for low-fat sandwiches, reminding viewers that they could probably use another hot wing right about now.

Best Football-Related Ads: Tie between Budweiser's Clydesdale/zebra instant-replay spot and Reebok's "Terry Tate, Office Linebacker."

Savviest Exploitation of Demographics: ABC its ownself. Knowing that the Super Bowl audience is largely male, promos for the postgame episode of "Alias" featured star Jennifer Garner in two different hues of lingerie and a bikini.

Huh? Award: Levi's, for its Type 1 jeans ad. Rampaging buffalo run around two pretty people wearing the new jeans. Good to know, because I'm never sure what to wear to a stampede.

Best Special Effects: The Gatorade Michael Jordan vs. young Michael Jordan ad. Regular sports viewers have seen it numerous times by now, but it's still pretty cool.

That Sound You Hear Is a Fad Gasping Its Last Breath: The Osbournes are hawking Pepsi Twist. That's probably all that needs to be said.

Dot-Coms Live! Award: Top job-search site Monster.com, for its runaway-truck spot. The eye-catching ad successfully launched the site's new "blue-collar, white-collar, no-collar" campaign.

Now see, I thought I picked up that trend on the Alias ads. I wasn't sure, though.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey
    Paulie, what about the Sierra Myst commercials? The Monkey and the dog who kicks the hydrant? Have to hear your take on them!

I know. I wasn't sure either. Maybe if they'd shown her one more time in the underwear I would have gotten it, but the thousand times I saw it I just couldn't get the trend.

Well, maybe it is just me, but I rather enjoyed the Jennifer Garner promotions...
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    All I can say is after that beef jerky/choking commercial, I can pretty much say with confidence I'll never buy a Dodge. I'm guessing that ad exec is out of a job today.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Sportscentre music!!

I forgot I turned on TSN.

Sorry. Anyway, that Dodge commercial was gicky. And I find it hard to believe Celine drives whatever that was. A Chrysler?

Oh, and that Castaway one. "Oh, nothing, just a satelitte phone, a water purifier, some seeds..."

FORT Fogey
    what was the choking one? Ididn't see it?

Yeah, the Cast Away one was priceless! There was a GPS locater in the box, too.

And, Bill, I never said I didn't like the Alias commercials. Wonder what "Mr. Alias" thought of all those people ogling his wife.

Firegirl, the fire hydrant and monkey commercials were funny right up until they told us who they were for! As soon as I found out they were Sierra Mist commercials, I was thinking, "WTF?!?"

Oh, and the choking commercial had a guy adminstering the Heimlich to a passenger in his truck by driving fast and then hitting the brakes. Bravo's probably right. We're gonna need some more ad execs, I guess.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey
    yea I agree I loved the monkey in the zoo , but not that it was for sierrra myst,, lets think of a better product it could be for, like ummm how about Preparation - H? heheh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast