+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Computer

[/B][/QUOTE]
    Originally posted by elgringo247
    I found an updated driver on the NVidia site but it says it isnt signed by microsoft. Also says to uninstall my old version. How do I do this and where is the old driver.
    thanks
    1. Unsigned drivers - The unsigned drivers warning has more to do with people who are running Windows 2000. If you're running Windows 2000--and if you are, then this is relevant--that operating system has a security measure whereby administrators can "Warn" or "Block" the installation of unsigned drivers.

Otherwise, it's Nvidia's way of saying, "Hey, pal, Microsoft hasn't qualified it yet, so use at your own risk." It sounds scary until you realize the ones you really need to watch out for are "beta" drivers or even worse "alpha" drivers. How do you know if you have a beta or alpha product? 9.9 times out of 10, the Web site will warn you that you're using a beta driver.

I've used "unsigned" Nvidia drivers before, and they're fine. It sounds like you downloaded a driver that Nvidia has submitted to Microsoft for "official" approval.

2. Uninstalling the old driver can be a little tricky. The problem with successfully uninstalling any driver is that when you boot back into Windows, the operating system discovers a piece of hardware without a driver and, like the little workhorse it is, it goes off in search of it in its own hard drive. And it may find the old ones, rather than the new.

Before you do anything else, make sure you know where the driver you downloaded is. Chances are, it's in ".zip" format. The newer drivers will "extract" themselves; you just need to double-click on them.

1. Double-click the file you downloaded.

2. Hit "Ok" and "Yes" and "Next" and that type of crap until you get to the part where it asks you where you want the files.

3. Click on "My Desktop" in the "tree" view and click "New Folder". Call it something you'll recognize on your desktop, like "nvidia02-10-03" (no quote marks).

4. Click Next and the files should now be extracted to the new folder ("nvidia02-10-03") on your desktop.

5. In this new folder, you should see many, many new files. I would STRONGLY recommend reading the "readme" that should be available in this folder. It has instructions on the best way to install your new driver based on what operating system you have.

I cannot more highly recommend following their instructions first. In case you're interested, here's how I do it, but my way isn't always the best way, as I sometimes run into trouble. (I sometimes forget to read the readme myself, natch. )

My way:

1. Boot up your computer in Safe Mode. (Tap F8 key before the Windows splash screen.)

If offered a choice at a menu, choose "Safe Mode" then hit Enter.

2. You will know you're in Safe Mode if you go to Windows desktop and the colors look wrong (16 or 256 colors). This is because it's loaded the minimum drivers for it to function.

3. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs. Select Nvidia Drivers (it may say something different for you, but it's usually obvious which one it is). Click Add/Remove and answer Yes to any warnings like "Do you wish to continue?"

4. Restart

5. When you boot back into Windows the operating system may have automtically installed the "legacy" (old) drivers. If it has, you're SOL (for now). You can try running the setup.exe and just letting the new drivers overwrite the old. I've done it, and it's okay to do that. You may run into a few performance issues, and it's not deemed "best practice," especially with Nvidia.

If it did not load drivers or if it asks you to point it to the right drivers, point it at the drivers you downloaded. Click Next and such until the drivers install, and you're prompted to restart.

Restart.

End.

Hope that helps. If it didn't, message me again and we'll see what we can do.

Wow Hey thanks, Im gonna try it when I repurchase GTA3 this week. I was lucky enough to return the previous GTA3 even after I opened it. I brought the Email responses from HP and Rockstar and did a lot of friendly but firm explaining. I really want to play GTA3 so, thanks to you, I feel I can try again. Im getting bored on RTCW and MOHAA, even the multi player which I thought was soo cool.

You're welcome.

By the way, what are RTCW and MOHAA?

RTCW = Return to Castle Wolfenstein

MOHAA = Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Ah, thanks, John!

You crazy kids these days with your massive multiplayer games--why back in MY day we had Atari. You had Pong, and that was a four-pixel by one-pixel rectangle firing another pixel at a rectangle, and that was as exciting as it got, and we liked it--WE LOVED IT...!!

Thanks John, I should have been more clear on my games.
    Hey Phat32, those are my days too. Maybe thats why Im in so much awe on these games, especially the multiplayer aspects. I think its so cool you can play with (kill) characters controlled by real people from all over the world. Although some people take it way too serious and start whining about the newbies...I play to get away for a while. I try to be good but dont get stressed if I/others screw up. that is totally counter productive. Well, just heard that RTCW (return to castle wolfenstein) is coming out with a sequel, I am pretty psyched for this...

wolfenstein? i've picked it up a million times but haven't purchased. medal of honor.... fun fun game!!!! i love just playing on the lan with my boyfriend. i get so nervous that when he granades me or something, i actually jump! i also enjoy playing online, but i'm such a loser. ha!

phat, i deem you computer . you rock!!

elgringo,

Yeah, I think you feel me on this. It's why I sit like an idiot any time I get a new game. I'm like, "Wow...this is sooo cool..." I still remember when '"Pitfall" or "Riddle of the Sphinx" were hot stuff.

shersidhe,

Well, THANK YOU, sweetie. I think I always said you knew just the right thing to write to make my day.

I'll accept your compliment, but I'm far from a computer king. I've just been very fortunate that when it came time for me to learn, somebody took the time to teach this idiot (me) some new tricks. Would you believe up until 1997 or so, I never looked at Windows and hated computers?

Still, I think Wayner and John (and a few others who keep quiet around this board) are more proficient than I am outside the hardware arena. Hardware stuff is easy. What Wayne and John do is hard.

Anyone know how to delete the startups in my system configuration utility...msconfig. If I just uncheck I go into selective startup and heard that is not really the correct way. I searched Startup but didnt seem to find the files in there. I want to do this because I have all this junk I dont want, some dups and some get rechecked automatically.
    thanks

elgringo, click on "Start", then "Run", and type "msconfig" and hit enter.

A window will pop up with some nice info on your system. If you click on the "Startup" tab, you'll see all of the programs which will run on bootup. You can uncheck them there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast