+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Computer

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Originally posted by firegirl
    Brian I have a huge flat pannel too I love it! Now about my "big dick' thing! How are you going to help me? NO comments from the rest of you gutter hounds!
    gutter hound? let me get a ladder and climb up to the gutter, that would be a major improvement for me

My computer is getting so old I can't even remember what is inside it. I think it has to be pushing 5 years old now.
    IBM PC 300GL is what is written on it and has a Pentium III sticker on it. So that is what it is I guess.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Re: Need some advice

Originally posted by elgringo247
    When I tried running GTA 3, the graphics sucked and was very choppy. The company told me my graphics card is no good. It runs Wolfenstein good (I Think). So my question is What should I do, if anything. Is my graphics inferior? Any suggestions for a replacement would be appreciated. I see NVidia GForce4 in Best Buy but there is so many different prices. Can you guys give me suggestions on this please...
    tommy,
    my bf's computer had this same problem. ran all of his other games great but had issues with GTA3 and Madden2002 or 2003. something glitchy with those games and his cards. i believe he just jumped around online and searched for patches for his video card that improved the quality. granted... i don't know what kind of card he has, but i guarantee it is an awesome card as the computer was built for gaming.

i bought an hp that sounds a lot like yours. he gutted it and kept basically only the dvd rom and built me a better comp for games.

good luck!!

Re: Need some advice

Originally posted by elgringo247
    I have NVidia TNT2 M64 32Mb SDRAM. When I tried running GTA 3, the graphics sucked and was very choppy. The compamy told me my graphics card is no good. So my question is What should I do, if anything. Is my graphics inferior? Any suggestions for a replacement would be appreciated. I see NVidia GForce4 in Best Buy but there is so many different prices. Can you guys give me suggestions on this please...
    Thanks much,
    Tommy
    Here's what I would do:

1. Upgrade your video card drivers.

You can try Nvidia's site, but HP might have thrown a proprietary video card in that machine. (I mention this because although you seem to have a newer machine judging by the processor, the video card is older. It's not bad, just older.)

Nvidia: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

HP: http://www.hp.com/country/us/eng/support.html

2. Upgrade DirectX:

Go to Start > Run > key in "dxdiag" (no quote marks)

At the bottom of the new dialog window that pops up will be the DirectX version you're running. If you have anything less than 8, I would update.

Just don't go with Version 9. That's so recent that Microsoft is bound to be working out bugs, and might actually make things worse for you.

Go with version 8.0a or 8.1: http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.ht...t+x&tg=dl-2001

3. Patch GTA3.

If you're on a dial-up account, this could take a while. So what I would do would be kick off the download and babysit the connection until you're sure it's begun. Then go to bed. The next morning, you can wake up and pretend it's Christmas morning.

I hunted one up at www.fileplanet.com, but it gives me an error message every time I try to access it.

http://www.fileplanet.com

As for getting a new video card, sure, you could do that. If none of the above works, or if you're not satisfied with your performance, that would be the next step. If you can stand waiting, wait until GeForce releases their new video card (FX). At that point, prices for the GeForce4 line are bound to plummet.

But there are some good deals out there now. If you're not looking to do digital video editing or watch TV, don't be fooled by all the choices and price structures. Go with a GeForce4 Ti4200 or Ti4400 (usually, 64 MB and 128 MB, respectively).

Best Cry and SwampUSA are fine. (In fact, Best Cry carries PNY, Visiontek, and Asylum, which are all fine, and SwampUSA actually carries the Gainward line, which is popular with overclockers.)

Go with newegg.com if you want a great online shopping experience for computer peripherals. You can't go wrong with the 'egg. They even have customer feedback posted for each of their products so you can read what others had to say about the product you're considering buying.

Hope that helps. If you have other questions, post again, and I'll see what I can do.

annnnnnnnnnd from this point forward, i will be directing all of my technical difficulties to phat.

Originally posted by Bill_in_PDX
    My God! You could be right! We need to save Paulie!
    Bill: "Paulie, we have to get you out of here! You're in terrible peril!"
    Paulie: "Look, let me face the peril!"
    Wayner: "No, no, it's much too perilous!"
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Originally posted by Paulie
    Bill: "Paulie, we have to get you out of here! You're in terrible peril!"
    Paulie: "Look, let me face the peril!"
    Wayner: "No, no, it's much too perilous!"

I think you mean Sir Bill the Brave, Sir Paulie the Pure, and Sir Wayner the-not-quite-so-Brave-as-Bill.

Sorry to respond so late, but thank-you all for youh help with my graphics probs. I am going to thy your suggestions before buying a new vcard. I am currently reloading my programs from a system recovery I had to do 2 days prev (my fault, screwing around with things i know nothing about)
    Thanks all
    Tommy

I found an updated driver on the NVidia site but it says it isnt signed by microsoft. Also says to uninstall my old version. How do I do this and where is the old driver.
    thanks

Conservative til the end! msvicki's Avatar
    Mine is P4 2.4, dual processor, 1GB ram, 80GB drive, several cd drives, one of which is CD-RW+, some fancy video card, ....my husband wants to make movies from the camcorder on the computer so he upgraded my machine to the max.
    But he's in the business, so we have 5 computers in the house (three kids still at home with their own computers and his in the office), plus two older ones sitting in the garage for "parts".
    Sounds like Sandford and Son, huh?
    He's always tweaking my computer and then asks me "do you see any difference in your computer performance today"? this equates to the same as a woman asking "How do I look"? You had better say GOOD (too her) and OH YEAH, IT'S WAY FASTER (to him). The response of "Well, I didn't notice any difference" (in computer performance) is absolutely unacceptable!!!
    I'll say this though.......it's WAY better than mine at work! rolleyes:
    Ms. Vicki

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast