+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any TiVo experts?

Any TiVo experts?

I can't get it to change channels! I spent an hour on the phone with a TiVo guy and he can't figure it out either. We've reconnected, reprogrammed, checked the remote, etc., but nothing is working.
    Has anyone else had this happen?
    Oh, and when I said TiVo is the next best thing to God? I've changed my mind. 40 minutes on hold will do that to you.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

This has happened to me before. I don't know if it will be this easy for you to solve, but . . . does your remote have a tiny switch on it that says SAT/TV? On ours it is just between the TV Power and TV Input buttons. If the switch has been inadvertently set to TV, the remote won't work the TiVo features. I hope that nothing more serious is wrong. Good luck! If that's not it, I'm stumped.

How is your TiVo connected to your cable/sattelite box? If it is those optical thingys, you have to tell TiVo to pick the right type of signal. If you find the right type, it should work, but it might sometimes not. If it's not, then try with the optical thingys. The digital stuff is better (you can record several channels at once), but it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    This has happened to me before. I don't know if it will be this easy for you to solve, but . . . does your remote have a tiny switch on it that says SAT/TV? On ours it is just between the TV Power and TV Input buttons. If the switch has been inadvertently set to TV, the remote won't work the TiVo features. I hope that nothing more serious is wrong. Good luck! If that's not it, I'm stumped.
    I was leaning towards this advice, too.

I'm still on the sliced bread kick. I TiVo!

Hey Candor-- tell us about your setup. Do you have cable? Or satellite? If satellite, are you talking about a DirecTv TiVo unit?

TiVo is a great thing.....when it works correctly. The hardest part is the initial setup. After that, it's all gravy.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I'll definitely check the remote! I hadn't even thought of that.
    I've got Comcast digital cable, which I've had to call four times in the last month because they keep giving me faulty boxes.
    It's possible this box is faulty, too, but they insist it's a TiVo problem.
    I've ordered new sensors for the box, but I seriously doubt that's the problem. TiVo stopped working the same day that the cable guy gave me a new box.
    Thanks for all your advice.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor
    TiVo stopped working the same day that the cable guy gave me a new box.
    It did? Ahhh... sounds like an installation problem then, but I'd assume the TiVo guys went over the cable hookups from the cable box to your TiVo unit to your TV, right? Did the installation guy change the cable from the box to your TiVo receiver?

We checked and rechecked the connections and setup, so it's not that. If the new sensors don't work, then it's definitely the cable box. There goes another four-hour wait.

Well, what do you know? It turned out to be the sensors after all. Yay!

So everythings working, Candor?? I hope it is all working well, and you are able to enjoy the wonderful benefits of TiVo. It really does change the way you watch TV!!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast