+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your "wacky" news guy

Your "wacky" news guy

Don't you want to smack him?

Everyone has this guy. Usually it's the sports guy but it can be the weather guy. Sometimes, like in Detroit (I get their NBC) the sports guy AND the weather guy are "wacky".

I was just getting dinner while Mr Ducky was watching the news and it's this one loser guy going on about the stones, and he's watching for ones with swords in them, because he saw one earlier today. Well actually he saw it at the Citadel theater because they have a production of "Sword in the Stone" on right now... and and this point Mr Ducky yells "Oh shut up!" at the TV.

So who's your "wacky" newsguy? Does he crack onto the drunk blonde news co-host?

Tony Ventrella

This is Seattle's wacky news guy. He's been pretty popular for many years, but I just can't stand him. Here are a couple Tony Ventrella quotes as written at seattlebookings.com:
    "I like to spice up the boring facts with humor and commentary," says Tony. "I like to make it [sports] fun and entertaining for the viewers. After all, they have a lot of choices and itís my job to do everything I can to get them to choose us."

"It was my goal to work at all three stations in Seattle when I first came here. My next job will probably be at the Texaco station on the corner." Tonyís hobbies included running, boxing, biking, reading, writing, golf and tennis. "I will stay active the rest of my life," he says, "If we are given a gift of health we should cherish it and let it flourish."

He has recently published a book entitled Smile In The Mirror.

:rolleyes Oh, yeah. He's wacky alright...

Aha! See, a "wacky" sports guy. I'm not sure why networks feel they need a wacky news guy.

Re: Your "wacky" news guy

Originally posted by duckgirl
    Don't you want to smack him?

Everyone has this guy. Usually it's the sports guy but it can be the weather guy. Sometimes, like in Detroit (I get their NBC) the sports guy AND the weather guy are "wacky".
    Yeah, I can only watch some much of that channel because I tend to like boring news. But I do like the "wacky" sports late night up date (they call it weekend at Bernies or some such thing but they show the good shots during different games. The weather guy also does the morning DJ spot of one of the radio stations I listen too (plus writes features for the paper) Apparently he is trying to turn into a one person media monoply.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

That's a fricken scary thought.

FORT Fogey
    Our wacky guy isn't wacky in front of the camera. But, if you see him out and about he always has the worst case of bed head when he isn't reporting. Seriously hilarious case. Almost like it's unreal and it is the biggest crack up to see this normally sort of slick guy w/ this one side of his head all sticking up and he will just be eating his breakfast in Cracker Barrell like nothing is lame.. sooo funny to watch people watch him!

NBC 13 - Mike Royer

Here's our mofo: Mike Royer.

Mike isn't "wacky," per se, like dressing-up-in-costumes wacky or doing stupid promos for the station, but what Mike rides on is his "fuddy-duddy charm," like Andy Rooney. (ie He's not "hip," or "with-it," he just doesn't get what those crazy kids today are all into.)

Let me give you an example: I don't remember the newscast exactly, but it was something about Eminem's feud with Christina what's-her-name, and he tried to crib Eminem by beginning the segment, "Will the Real Slim Shady please...stand up?" Take the whitest guy you can imagine saying this, double that, and you're almost in the ballpark. (Addendum: I realize the irony of this statement since Eminem is, himself, Caucasian, but you know what I'm saying.)

My g/f, who isn't into hip-hop, actually said with much frustration, "Will Alabama's lamest newscaster please shut up?"

Then there was the time they did a story on a fight that broke out at a rap concert, attributing it to East Coast/West Coast feuding. And Mike actually tried to add, shaking his head: "I just don't get this whole East-side/West-side thing. Can't we all just get along?"

I actually looked up from what I was doing and said, "MIKE, SHUT THE [FIG] UP!!" Of course, I used stronger language than "fig."

As for the sports guy on most stations, I don't mind them as much as I used to. My main problem with the sports guy is I KNOW he's just like the guy in junior high and early high school who tried to chase me down and beat me up and went on join a frat in college, brah.

But somehow, these guys got lucky, earned a degree, and channeled their love of sports into something useful. I still don't like their toadying attitudes whenever they interview an athlete.

"So, [xyz athlete], you had a massive day, baby-boy! You brought your A-game, came in, and vini vidi vici, walked off and kicked a little ass, man! Whatchoo gotta say to all your fans??"

Man, just shut your pie hole.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread