+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any talk radio fans at the Fort?

I mostly listen to NPR: Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me, All Things Considered, Car Talk, etc. The public radio station that I listen to has some good local programs too. I'll listen to local sports talk and/or ESPN Radio when it's baseball season.

JR.
    I listen to Stern, sports radio (WEEI) during mid day and afternoons, and Opie & Anthony on XM in the evening. I'm fed up with hearing the same 20 songs on commercial radio.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I used to listen to Dr. Laura faithfully, and she did give me some good advice on some family troubles while preparing Jessica's wedding. (Yes, we actually got through to her)

I'm not sure if Mike Reagan is on still, I used to listen to him also. I was on there too. (I know....but it makes me feel like a big shot )

Now I sit here in front of my computer all freakin' day with so-called music blaring.

eta: uh oh, I just gave away my party affiliation - I guess I just outted myself as a republican.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    eta: uh oh, I just gave away my party affiliation - I guess I just outted myself as a republican.
    JD, honey, you live in Utah...that is almost a given.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    Is Jim Philips still on the air there? Used to listen to him all the time, and I was a member of the Philips Phile, minister of exploration to be exact.

I listen to George Noorey on Coast to Coast, some Michael Savage and local talk in St. Louis.
    Yep Ilikai, Jim is still on in the afternoons...he's my favorite of the Real Radio crew. Midday there's Shannon Burke (he used to be on AM radio here, but moved over 6-8 months or so ago to)...he's pretty entertaining as well, and a really nice guy (he shops in my store occasionally). The Monsters have moved into the morning slot and I just don't listen to them all that often anymore cause I have the radio on either before they are on or after.

Ohhh George Noorey is good too! I catch the end of him in the mornings on my way to work. I can't say he's my favorite, but Phil Hendrie is good for laughs as well when I can catch him.....it took me a while to get the gist of his show, but now I find it hilarious.

Premium Member
    I am a huge fan of Sports talk radio! We have a pretty good station here that I listen to regularly. But even when I am on the road one of the first things I do when I get there is to find the Sports talk station. Sports station callers are really intense and passionate, it cracks me up!

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...
    I'm so glad to see so many you responding to my question! I had a strong feeling that since we enjoy "reality" programming that talk radio was also part of your day.

I forgot to tell you which shows are my favorite to hear these days, so here's a brief list.

My current favorite is the Rick and Bubba show out of Birmingham, AL. They are fun guys who have an family friendly show that is sometimes silly, sometimes conservative and patriotic, and sometimes has a rock and roll beat. It is hard to describe the show but it's worth the try. They can be heard online also from weekdays 6-10 CST at www.rickandbubba.com. Like they say, you have to listen for at least a few weeks to really get a feel for the show, but I highly recommend them.

I also like the Dave Ramsey show for it's sound and common sense financial/money management advice. Dave can be heard weekdays at www.daveramsey.com from 1-4 pm cst, or you can listen any time to the archived shows.

Other shows on my favorites list include the Michael Reagan show, Glenn Beck, Car Talk, Sean Hannity, and sometimes Michael Savage(when he's not on too big of a rampage). Recently, I've started listening to Lars Larson, but I can only stand a little bit of his show that late at night as I drive in from work.

I used to listen to Dr. Laura, but her timeslot has changed locally. I had mixed feelings when listening to her show anyway. While I agreed with much of her advice, I would often get irritated at how sharp toned she was with some of the callers.

Every once in a while, I like to catch Prairie Home Companion or What Do You Know? on public radio, but I'm often away from the radio when they come on these days.
    Last edited by mstvfan; 01-30-2005 at 02:55 AM.
    Just take a breath and relax...everything's going to be just fine...

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I live for Marketplace on NPR. And I love when I am able to catch Car Talk; those guys crack me up. Occasionally, I'll listen to Fresh Air, but sometimes Terry Gross annoys me.

As for non-NPR stuff, I rarely listen except for this one show that's local--they do the broadcast from a wine store/higher end bar, and always have wine experts or food experts on and talk about the special wines or liquors of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by mstvfan

I also like the Dave Ramsey show for it's sound and common sense financial/money management advice. Dave can be heard weekdays at www.daveramsey.com from 1-4 pm cst, or you can listen any time to the archived shows.
    I had forgotten about him. Since he is on in the evenings here, I don't get to listen to him much, but I love him. Makes great sense and I am dreaming of the day I can call him and tell him "I AM DEBT FREE!!!!!"

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    That's ok J.D., I'm with ya sister.

I pretty much listen most of the day on my days off (when I'm not watching soaps or Food Net). If I'm in my car then I listen to whoever's on AmeriRight on XM. Otherwise I catch Laura Ingraham (my favorite), Rush Limbaugh if nothing good is happening on All My Children Then I switch between Sean Hannity and Michael Medved, and Michael Reagan if I can find him. Mr. Marleybone and I used to listen to G. Gordon Liddy but nobody around here has carried his show for a long time. I used to listen to the Bob & Tom show.. is that still on? That was hilarious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast