+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Motivate Yourself?

FORT Fogey
    I get motivated by seeing progress I've already made, because then I want more.

I had a blast on Saturday and didn't stay home at all, and on Sunday I was out half the day so I still hadn't gotten much done.

I high-tailed it Sunday afternoon, though, 'cause my kitchen floor was a wreck, and I spent an hour or so scrubbing that thing, like Cinderella, with bleach and steel wool.

Today the last thing I did at the office before leaving was this 'cause I'm not feeling too hot, but nevertheless here I am, running the carpet cleaner in the living room and bedroom because the kitchen floor looks so doggoned good that I want the other floors to be equally clean.

It's crazy, eh?

I'm also very motivated by the fact that my new neighbor who lives in the apartment below me works second shift, so this is the perfect time of day to get things done. He's a nice guy, and we get along great, and I never want to run cleaning machines when he's home sleeping, so my wanting to be considerate of him keeps me plugging away and doing housework even when I ordinarily wouldn't feel like doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Cali, here's my motivation -- my mother is coming to visit tomorrow. Massive emergency house-cleaning is currently being undertaken (if I could just ... log... off.. the computer ). If you want, I'll send her your way to judge you.
    Its so funny to see that you said this long before we were sharing stories about our mothers. We should send them to each other's homes.

My motivation is obviously the same. When my OCD having, anal mother is coming over, I'm in panic cleaning mode.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I tend to motivate myself by thinking out ways to reward myself. I then try to make the rewards sound so tempting that I'll get down to whatever it is I need to do just so that I have have my reward. The "reward" can be anything, ranging from "as soon as I've finished reading this paragraph, I can go online to the FORT" to the prospect of renting a movie, having take-out for dinner or a new, non-course work book. It actually works pretty good most of the time. In fact, I'm using the exact same technique today. I have an essay due Friday and thanks to my noisy neighbours, a trip to the library and some serious writing (read all about my plight in the Pet Peeves thread), I'm pretty much done two days ahead of time. (Apparently, extreme frustration motivates me.) Now I just need to do some editing and possibly add a few quotes for good measure. Today's reward is the new Scarpetta novel that I started last night, deliberately put down in the middle of a particularly thrilling chapter and then decided that I wasn't allowed to read more until I've finished editing my essay.

Seeing it spelled out like this, it does sound a little childish, feeling the need to constantly reward yourself just for doing what's expected of you. But hey, it works! Of course, in order for it to work you need to be fairly organized and patient - which I am, most of the time. Only when it comes to things related to my education, though; for some reason, I can't play good cop like this when my apartment needs vacuuming. Of course, I do have an obsessive-compulsive, slightly anal mother whose neatness puts Bree Van De Kamp to shame. She has on several occasions deemed my apartment (which I'd just cleaned! Well, two days ago) a crack den. I know exactly how you feel, Stargazer and Lucy.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

New Years. That's how I motivate myself. I like to start the year off with a semi-clean house, so I clean in December, and only December. Also, I absolutely refuse to spend any weekend time cleaning so everything gets done in bits and pieces throughout the week.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey
    Lately I've been pretty motivated to get my apartment whipped into tip-top, organized shape, and I have a professional organizer coming over next month to help me wrap it up, once and for all. In the meantime I'm chipping away at it, and I'm making progress, for sure.

I discovered that Hewlett Packard offers FREE online classes, and one of the upcoming ones is called, Get organized: tips and tools for managing time, space, and paper. It runs from January 19th through February 24th and I'll post the link to it for anyone who's interested in signing up for it.

Me? I already have a bunch of tricks I use to keep everything in place, but I figure it will never hurt to learn more.

Anyone can sign up for HP's free online class on "organizing" right here: http://h30240.www3.hp.com/courses/ov...?courseId=2790

I read about this on USAtoday.com and it cracked me up. It's a program that you can sign up for to hassle you about things. You tell it what you want it to hassle you about and how often and it will email you reminders to do what you need to get done.

For example, if you want to write in a journal every five days, then you tell it to remind you to write in your journal. It will then send you a reminder roughly every five days hassling you about it.

So, if you don't have judgemental mothers to nag you like Lucy and I have, then try http://hassleme.co.uk/
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD
    Motivate?????

What is this word you speak???
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    I read about this on USAtoday.com and it cracked me up. It's a program that you can sign up for to hassle you about things. You tell it what you want it to hassle you about and how often and it will email you reminders to do what you need to get done.

For example, if you want to write in a journal every five days, then you tell it to remind you to write in your journal. It will then send you a reminder roughly every five days hassling you about it.

So, if you don't have judgemental mothers to nag you like Lucy and I have, then try http://hassleme.co.uk/
    OMG, that would drive me nuts! Besides, I have my MIL to hassle me!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

FORT Fogey
    Here's a neat web site that I use for not only motivation but also new ideas, and I like it because there's a lot of helpful stuff here and it's FREE.

http://www.organizedhome.com/

I am one of those every thing has a place and every place has a thing kind of people. but when I need to motivate to clean/dust /vacuum etc., I put on the Dean Martin hard drive and work away.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast