+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Motivate Yourself?

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Procrastinate until I'm under so much pressure, I gotta do it!!! Then, I do it in a whirl wind fashion.

*why does that post seem like it can be taken out of context?

I motivate myself by self torture. I picture my mum nagging at me and the only way she'll stop is if I clean my room. After that i picture happy thoughts so my mum's nagging stops.
    [ all we need is love and peace ] [ ]

I am the laziest person ever born. Here's how I motivate myself NOT to do housework: 1. "I'll go on the fort for just a minute" 2. My parents are coming halfway across the country to visit? They know I'm a slob. They'll understand 3. 3 teenaged children who don't pick up after themselves and I'm supposed to do it? I don't think so. 4. Reading a book is better for me than a clean house will ever be 5. I'd hate to ruin the shock value of being able to declare truthfully, "I've never dusted in my entire life". 6. Spiderwebs catch bugs 7. No matter what the chore, it would just have to be done again next year, so why bother? 8. Wildflowers in the unmown lawn create a diverse habitat for many insects and butterflies that might otherwise become extinct.
    Count your blessings!

If only I could come up with those reasons when it comes to cleaning. The net is a big factor to my lazyness but i would never even consider giving it up
    [ all we need is love and peace ] [ ]

I don't, and just say I did.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I go over to my friend's house who is a cleaning fanatic and then I come home to my house and try to catch up on housework.

To motivate myself into doing something like homework, all I need is a friend telling me about how much they've finished (usually much more than I have, if I've started at all) or that they're completely done. For things around the house, I wait till my mom forces me off from whatever I'm doing.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Inviting people & having a party now and then is the only way to get our house spot clean

I do occasionally get bit by that cleaning bug, but I have no idea what motivates these streaks of wanting to clean every corner of the house...I wish it'd come over me a little more often.
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Quote Originally Posted by Tigrazhia
    Inviting people & having a party now and then is the only way to get our house spot clean
    Same here. Maybe I should start playing bridge or something, and have people over regularly to keep the house in order. I just can't motivate myself to clean really good if there is no "outside reason" (=keeping up the appearances...). I wonder if this has somehow to do with my competitiveness, I thrive in competition, and need that extra motivation/push to do things well.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

There was a magazine advice woman (Amy Bloom?) who often told people to look at how their mother and grandmother would deal with the same situation for clues on why you react the way you do. My mother and both grandmothers had cleaning ladies. I never saw one of them clean and we were told go go outside and get out of the way when our cleaning lady was working. This may sound like a cop out, but I do think there is some validity to why my motivation to clean the house is nonexistant. My two sisters are about the same as me, but my brother who is a stay-at-home dad is neat as a pin to the point of A. retentive. Go figure.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast