+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Motivate Yourself?

FORT Fogey
    ***BUMPS THREAD***

I have thought of this thread a lot over the last couple of months while I've struggled with a big organizing project at home.

I've made some big progress and I've made progress but then I recently did a little math and figured it would be much more effective to simply HIRE a Professional Organizer to come over and help me finish up this project, once and for all!

My time's precious and the good weather's right around the corner so I don't want to be spending the next 5 weekends or so working on my house. Also, my health isn't the greatest and every time I spend a lot of time working on this project I end up feeling really crummy for days.

So I guess my answer to the question, "How do you motivate yourself?" is simply:

"I don't. Screw it. I'll just hire someone to do it for me!!!"

I'd forgotten about this thread. When I saw I started it, I thought I'd lost my mind

That was over two years ago

Maybe I need to have the fake game show day again, as my house is a mess Lately I've been more mellow though. Used to be I couldn't stand the thought of someone coming over if the house was a mess... now I still wouldn't want it to be a mess, but a little disorganized I can handle
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Cali, here's my motivation -- my mother is coming to visit tomorrow. Massive emergency house-cleaning is currently being undertaken (if I could just ... log... off.. the computer ). If you want, I'll send her your way to judge you.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    If you want, I'll send her your way to judge you.
    That's too funny.

Wow, what an awful flash back to my recent past.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    (Remember, you asked for it.)

1. Kick myself in the groin.

2. Two words: Self love. (Phat32, YOU SO NASTY!)

3. Remind myself that playing a video game, watching a DVD, smoking a cigarette in the garden are all enjoyable, but fleeting, things, while not cleaning the downstairs toilet, wiping up the kitchen counter, or fixing that rickety shelf means that I will die penniless, unloved and unwanted and after a long, painful death, I will burn in hell for all eternity in the company of sodomizers, child molesters, money lenders, attorneys, Andy Rooney, and the cast of Real World (any city).

4. Reward myself. A date with some of the ladiez down on Third Ave usually does the trick.

5. Get really worked up and nervous and beg off any company until I finish my task. If disturbed, I scream something like: "FOR GOD'S SAKE, WOMAN! CAN'T YOU TELL THE YARD NEEDS SWEEPING! I DON'T HAVE TIME TO LOOK AT YOUR NEW SHOES!" This serves the dual purpose of alienating everyone from you thereby allowing you to complete your task and also scaring the target of your rage into lending a hand. Now if only I could get this to work the way I want it to...

6. Take a long, hot bath with bath salts, complete my task, then go for a manicure and a session at the day spa.

7. The Tom Sawyer Method: Say things like "Damn! This fence whitewashing is the most damn fun I have EVER had whitewashing a fence!" Curious neighbors will want to lend a hand in the whitewashing. Then say: "This is so much fun, you should pay me for the honor!" After getting severe beating, use money I saved not having to pay professional painter for my hospital bills.

8. Pretend I'm performing task for supermodel. When I start to hear voices in my head like, "Mmm-MMMM, Andy! The way you study for that Microsoft exam is the SEXIEST thing I have ever seen! It makes me HOT!"--I know I am doing something right.

9. The Ultimate Fighting Championship: I scream things at myself like, "Yeah, YEAH! Come ON! Let's get it ON!" Then, screaming, run toward the garbage can, rip the bag from the can, tie it with conviction and throw it outside. To cheers of crowd, I point at my fans and say, "Yeah! That's right! WHO DA MAN NOW??"

10. By heeding the advice of Lord Percy O'Whack-a-Bottom, the naughty 600-year-old leprechaun who lives in my sock drawer only to emerge and giggle every time I do something naughty. Of course, only I can see Lord Percy.

You owe me a new keyboard

Ummmm, motivation?

None at work, I've been outsourced and I'm coordinating work done in India. I pick and choose analysis of stuff that looks interesting and send the rest off for someone else to do. I just look busy and avoid meetings as a waste of time.

I don't do any of the housework. I've always been a slob, and dh has taken over all of the housework. Much easier since he retired. I cook most of the time, but that's about it.

I had a fit of spring cleaning last weekend. Someone at chorus rehearsal pissed me off, so I decided to clean out the closets and bookshelves, and get rid of old magazines I hadn't yet read and never would. We filled up the recycling bin and took a huge load of clothes and books to goodwill.

Good thread, though.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

I go to Dunkins way too much : )

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Cali, here's my motivation -- my mother is coming to visit tomorrow. Massive emergency house-cleaning is currently being undertaken (if I could just ... log... off.. the computer ). If you want, I'll send her your way to judge you.
    Hey Luc...you didn't tell me that we shared a mother!?! Mine is notorious for the judgment every time she comes to visit and no matter how clean I get it and how much I scrub and dust, there's ALWAYS something miniscule that was forgotten, which of course is the first thing she sees and then the "fun" begins

I have to bargain with myself as motivation...for every half hour (or so) of cleaning I do I can have 10 minutes online or can sit and have a cigarette or something, any kind of bargain to do something more fun. When company is coming over though I have motivation out the wazoo! Like last Easter I got caught by my friend dropping by a basket and dinner for me while I was at work and my house was HORRID so this year knowing he's probably gonna do the same thing I worked all afternoon today to get it visitor friendly so I wouldn't be embarrassed by my own sloppiness again. Granted it's not "Mom visit perfect" but atleast it's not embarrassingly messy like it normally is.

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    You owe me a new keyboard
    Would you believe that was, like, my third post, ever? Good times, good times... Thanks for the pleasant flashback.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast