+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Motivate Yourself?

Motivate myself? No clue. I'm working too much. Keeping myself motivated at work is easy because they keep threatening to fire us. I have no motivation at home, I just cook, do the dishes, pay attention to the kids and now and then vaccuum or do some laundry. I would love to motivate my husband since he is home all day, but haven't figured that one out yet at all.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I'm a total procastinator.I just moved to a new city & there is still a lot of unpacking to be done.I only get motivated when i think about how my place would look after it's all set. But i'd rather just sit at the FORT all day

Magus
    I understand about the work thing. I work in a distribution center, and not a week goes by that they don't come up with a new rule, or amend an existing one, that makes us groan and roll our eyes and fantasize about lynching every damn one of the management staff. Funny thing is 3-4 years ago when workers were scarce and jobs aplenty these same managers bent over backwards and forwards to accomodate workers, treating us with respect and letting some slight rule-breakage slide by. Not so now. Now they disrespect us every day, and look for reasons to walk you out the door just for their amusement. Bastards. No wonder I developed a sticky finger syndrome. If you can't beat 'em, steal from 'em I say. No I don't usually approve of theft, but when THEY have all the power and you have none, you gotta do something to at least feel you're getting back. I just wish I had the motivation to go to school. I want to become an LPN, not because of the usual "I always wanted to help people" crap, but because I want a career where I am in control for once. Nurses of all kinds are in strong demand, and will be for the next 10-15 years at least, so if you think your boss is an ass--move on. But I am a 35-year-old male, and not very motivated, even though I despise my job and hate my bosses. Bastards. Did I use that word already? Must.....motivate.....myself

Originally posted by Magus
    . I want to become an LPN, not because of the usual "I always wanted to help people" crap, but because I want a career where I am in control for once. Nurses of all kinds are in strong demand, and will be for the next 10-15 years at least, so if you think your boss is an ass--move on. But I am a 35-year-old male, and not very motivated, even though I despise my job and hate my bosses. Bastards. Did I use that word already? Must.....motivate.....myself
    Motivate yourself Magus, but don't kid yourself about the power nurses may have. True they are in short supply but they are still treated like crap. (spent 2 hours with an overworked, frustrated RN on Friday evening, explaining to her that no matter what her stupid MD said, the patient wasn't ready to go to a mental health ward because my MD didn't feel she was medically ready to admit. The poor woman almost had a breakdown because like she said, "if the Doctor says they go, you have to have them go, otherwise it's your fault, the Doctor does no wrong.")
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Clearly I can't motivate myself, I have 2 assessments to type today and what am I doing???? Reading the FORT and snopes.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    one of these days, I'm going to post a reply in here

Magus
    I know that RNs have it bad, and I don't want to be one. Too much school and too much responsibility. As an LPN, I can settle in on a 3rd shift assignment, long after visiting hours and babysit for more money than a 1st shift assignment.

Originally posted by Magus
    Funny thing is 3-4 years ago when workers were scarce and jobs aplenty these same managers bent over backwards and forwards to accomodate workers, treating us with respect and letting some slight rule-breakage slide by. Not so now. Now they disrespect us every day, and look for reasons to walk you out the door just for their amusement. Bastards.
    Ain't that the truth. At my place of work (mostly in my department), the mgmt have deemed it necessary to change our work hours and shorten our lunch hour to 1/2 hour. It seems like they are doing all these so just because they can. Due to the scarce jobs out there, they know we have no choice but to grin and bear it. Those bastards!! I do want to stay with the same company because it's a great company. It's just my department that sucks!

I'm more motivated than ever to get out of my department. I've been taking on-line courses, and I've also getting involved in major projects going on at work. I'll get more exposure within the company.

BTW, Welcome Magus!

Magus
    Thanks for the welcome, I love finding new chat boards. Back to the work thing--last week we had a huge week of orders. My department runs 20 ship lines, but usually with only 12 or 13 ship line handlers, so each man has to do the job of 2 people. We were behind all week, working our asses off to get caught up by week's end. How were we rewarded you ask? The usual way a bunch of asses rewards people, by making our department come in on it's day off to help another department get caught up. This same department routinely falls behind because you can regularly see their workers lounging around in the warehouse aisles in groups of 2 or 3 talking. Make their manager do his job by making them do theirs? Why do that when you can just make another bone-tired department come in and do it for them. I guess the fact that we could still stumble to the parking lot at the end of the shift meant we had just a little too much energy left. What gets me is that they accrue huge amounts of overtime needlessly that way, then a month down the road they put out a memo that any overtime, even a couple minutes, will result in write-ups. I'd like to line up all of management and sentence them to life in front of a firing squad. Sorry for the rant people, but sometimes I just get going......

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    this new politically correct B.S. has been a way for the bastard management to get rid of people they hate. just another way to lose your job by some dim-wit jerk of a boss.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast