+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Motivate Yourself?

He sits there going, "Are you going to clean?" "It doesnt bug me." "Fine then."

and then a week later we hve the same convo. At least we have a dishwasher now. We didn't in Australia.

I've got two responses to this: One is on the level, the other is just plain nuts. I'll go with on-the-level first.

Like John, I share in the household duties. Once a week, I clean the toilets, mop the tile floors, dust-mop the hardwood floors, vacuum, sweep, light dusting, as necessary.

Before recently, I also cooked most of the meals, walked the dogs, ran the laundry.

She folded the laundry and loaded/unloaded the dishwasher.

Recently, though, since we moved, we just let the dogs run into the yard and crap wherever they please. I should be more vigilant about pooper-scooping, but I guess when it's knee deep in the backyard, we'll know it's time. ("EEewww...")

She's also taken up most of the cooking, all the laundry (except the putting-away), cleaning of bathrooms and kitchen (with exception of toilets, which she won't touch).

Like John, we also do other stuff as we need to and see fit. It's a pretty good arrangement. And to answer your question, yes, I work, and she works from home.

Now, you might be asking, "But, Phat32, all that stuff you did before you moved, and all the stuff you're doing now--are you whipped or something?"

To that, I can only say, "Hell yeah!!"

Don't knock it til you've tried it, fellas, because it's almost easier just giving in.

Let me ask you this: Would you rather go along to get along, or do you want to be nagged and have to "talk things out" all the time? I thought so.

She's going to win anyways, so just go with her plan, do what you gotta do, and before you know it, you're watching sports on TV again!

Phat, man write a self help book and title it "All You Really Need to Know to Enjoy Sports Television".
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

How I Motivate Myself

(Remember, you asked for it.)

1. Kick myself in the groin.

2. Two words: Self love. (Phat32, YOU SO NASTY!)

3. Remind myself that playing a video game, watching a DVD, smoking a cigarette in the garden are all enjoyable, but fleeting, things, while not cleaning the downstairs toilet, wiping up the kitchen counter, or fixing that rickety shelf means that I will die penniless, unloved and unwanted and after a long, painful death, I will burn in hell for all eternity in the company of sodomizers, child molesters, money lenders, attorneys, Andy Rooney, and the cast of Real World (any city).

4. Reward myself. A date with some of the ladiez down on Third Ave usually does the trick.

5. Get really worked up and nervous and beg off any company until I finish my task. If disturbed, I scream something like: "FOR GOD'S SAKE, WOMAN! CAN'T YOU TELL THE YARD NEEDS SWEEPING! I DON'T HAVE TIME TO LOOK AT YOUR NEW SHOES!" This serves the dual purpose of alienating everyone from you thereby allowing you to complete your task and also scaring the target of your rage into lending a hand. Now if only I could get this to work the way I want it to...

6. Take a long, hot bath with bath salts, complete my task, then go for a manicure and a session at the day spa.

7. The Tom Sawyer Method: Say things like "Damn! This fence whitewashing is the most damn fun I have EVER had whitewashing a fence!" Curious neighbors will want to lend a hand in the whitewashing. Then say: "This is so much fun, you should pay me for the honor!" After getting severe beating, use money I saved not having to pay professional painter for my hospital bills.

8. Pretend I'm performing task for supermodel. When I start to hear voices in my head like, "Mmm-MMMM, Andy! The way you study for that Microsoft exam is the SEXIEST thing I have ever seen! It makes me HOT!"--I know I am doing something right.

9. The Ultimate Fighting Championship: I scream things at myself like, "Yeah, YEAH! Come ON! Let's get it ON!" Then, screaming, run toward the garbage can, rip the bag from the can, tie it with conviction and throw it outside. To cheers of crowd, I point at my fans and say, "Yeah! That's right! WHO DA MAN NOW??"

10. By heeding the advice of Lord Percy O'Whack-a-Bottom, the naughty 600-year-old leprechaun who lives in my sock drawer only to emerge and giggle every time I do something naughty. Of course, only I can see Lord Percy.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Okay, phat, I've not laughed that hard all week!

I think I'll try #8 on for size this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

Princess
    Phat! I loved #9!
    Usually I invite people over and run around the house cleaning frantically while my wife and the cats run screaming from the crazy man.
    That's a good one Wayner - it works like a charm for me. (Hence, I avoid to invite ppl to my house....)

I like your plan Cali! Though I wouldn't be able to fool myself... lol

I'm more like ducky: "it doesn't bug me"... well until a certain point anyway, but that point is usually waaay past other ppls tolerance level.
    I am never motivated to do any chores really, but if I wait until it's so bad I can't stand it anymore I usually suddenly feel very motivated, b/c it will really make a difference!

Then of course there are bigger things in life that also need motivation - but I've found that if I really really want something, the motivation will eventually be there, no matter the obstacles needed to overcome.

hmm, my motivation is commericals! When I have a cleaning day, I will turn the TV on and will clean while only commericals are on. I actually get a lot more cleaning done that way. (I can't stand commericals)
    "You are only as HAPPY, as your UNHAPPIEST child"

I do that a lot to.
    Test myself to see exactly how much I can get done during the commercials.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Princess
    Ohh.. yes, I do that too! Forgot about that! That's how I get my dishes done .

How do I motivate myself? Force myself to shut off the computer, get off my chair and get my chores done. It's a dirty job, but SOMEBODY has to do it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast