+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Valentine Gift Ideas

I refuse to get on board with the whole Valentines day gifts for kids thing.
    They just got a boat load of presents for Christmas for God's sake.
    Valentines day has nothing whatsoever to do with kids, imo.
    I felt pressured into buying my eldest cards to give to all his classmates last year, there was even one in the box for the teacher.
    He didn't even want to send them, but he also didn't want to be the only one not to.
    So he came home with a bunch of Valentine's cards from his classmates that he just slung in the recycle box.
    We got our boys a small gift each, nothing extravagant because we find it unnecessary, that's not what Valentine's day is supposed to be about.

Stargazer - I suspect the greedy retailers want more of our $$.
    I have always gotten a card and a small heart shaped box of chocolates for each of my boys (Husband included.) This year, the boys will get a card only, and DH MAY get lucky - if he plays his cards right.

That was my line of thinking, Fluff and Ana. I was honestly a little stunned by it. My child is still so little that I guess I don't know what other people do for their kids, but I'd never heard of that kind of gift-giving to children. I can understand the card thing at school. It seems like that's a tradition that goes on most anywhere. I didn't know that parents were buying big baskets of stuff for their kids, though. Like fluff mentioned, parents have JUST spent a pile of money on their kids for Christmas. It seems pretty ridiculous. I'll probably just get her a little thing of candy.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

We'll get candy and maybe a couple of Hot Wheels toys for each of our boys, nothing more extravagant than that.
    They collect then and they're only a couple of dollars each.
    We'll probably get a vintage model car from my eldest who likes to display them round his room.
    You can get really nice ones for about $5 in Walmart, so again, nothing extravagant.
    They don't send cards at school in the UK and when I first saw cards for kids in the shops I called my sister in law to see if the craze had caught on back home.
    Her response was "what the hell are you talking about? Valentine's day is nothing to do with kids."

apple My husband will definitely thank you if I go with your idea!

I'm with all of you on the kid thing! I've seen those baskets, Star, as well as all of the other goodies they're selling. It's all about the $$$! I always make a card for my kids and get a something small to go with it. My daughter's latest craze is My Little Pony and they're under $5 so I'll probably go with that!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    They don't send cards at school in the UK and when I first saw cards for kids in the shops I called my sister in law to see if the craze had caught on back home.
    Her response was "what the hell are you talking about? Valentine's day is nothing to do with kids."
    That's really interesting. It must be an North America phenomenon. We exchanged cards when I was in elementary school years and years ago. Nothing fancy. Just those you get in a big box. It was always a torment to fill them out, too. You didn't want to give one to a boy that said anything about "Love" for instance. I'd MUCH rather have not done them, but they are kind of cute to look back on when I run across one in my old school stuff.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    We exchanged cards when I was in elementary school years and years ago. It was always a torment to fill them out, too. You didn't want to give one to a boy that said anything about "Love" for instance.
    I remember going through the new box and finding those perfect cards for my favorite classmates. Then, the ugliest for those that I didn't care for. And I recall fondly, writing a little something extra on a certain boys Valentine card when I was in 3rd grade.
    Sometimes I thank God, for unanswered prayer.

Ana.

We exchanged cards in school when I was younger too, but we could pick and choose who we wanted to give them to. I know more recently, the schools said everyone has to get one...I still remember poor Charlie Brown being the kid in school not to get a card. As overly-PC as a lot of things are, I think this is probably a good idea.

Valentine baskets filled with junk for kids? Ack. When our daughter was little, we'd get her a pair of lacy, Valentine-y socks, or Valentine-y pencils, etc. I'd make a nice dinner with a heart cake, and then we'd put her to bed early. Her birthday is just a few days after V day, so it was always extra fun planning her parties with all the special candies and things that are available this time of year.

This will be our first Valentine's day with my daughter at college, so we were talking about sending her a card and V cookies, just to let her know we were thinking of her. At least we won't have to put her to bed early this year.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    At least we won't have to put her to bed early this year.
    roseskid! And I love that evil grin smiley!
    Last edited by lildago; 01-26-2006 at 04:08 PM. Reason: I can't spell evil!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I'm in total agreement about gifts/baskets for kids for V-day. I have no problem with little valentines in school - in fact Claire decided to make her own for the kids, so she's making a card for everyone. But she will not be getting a gift from us!

As far as my husband, sometimes we exchange, sometimes we don't - mostly due to finances. Between Christmas and my birthday being in January, I usually hate to spend money. This year with a new baby, money seems to be flying out the window so I'll be quite happy with a nice, sentimental card and maybe a small box of chocolate or a nice dinner.

+ Reply to Thread