+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freecycle.org

Freecycle.org

I've signed up for this today as part of my quest to clean out my life and my basement.
    Has anyone done this? Did it work out?
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

According to the site, Chicago proper has 9824 members who have done this; I've never heard of the site or organization before. But somehow I doubt that it was Abe Lincoln who said, "Think locally, Act Globally."
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I signed up, although I can't remember why now. I should have signed up where I'd go look at the messages, like here. Instead, I was inundated from time to time with e-mails. Took me forever to figure out how to get off the list.
    Interesting stuff offered, though.
    I prefer to donate to rummage sales that benefit a charity.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

Well I have the files to look at and then I have to start posting I guess.
    figure I'll try this and see. Part of my problem is, I have stuff to get rid of but all of the sudden my 10 year old wants Pokeman cards ?!? I don't want to buy those for her, hoping to get some for free some where. (or at least cheap) I thought Pokeman was out? Or was I just hoping?
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I subscribe to the one in our community. I gave away a futon frame and a dresser. It's nice because often, if you read over your emails of interested parties, you can end up really helping a family in need. There are folks on there who are just fishing for "stuff". Some people post ISO's for ridiculously superfluous luxury items or certain collectible antique-type items (ie: old flyfishing apparatus, state of the art zoom lenses, working cars etc....) but generally it's a give and take of clothing and appliances. Seems to be working well here.

A I FAN ALL 5 YEARS pokealot214's Avatar
    far northern Minnesota usually, but wherever my job takes me!
    We signed up at Freecycle about a month ago. You have to know at least a little bit about a lot of things, to have it work out for you. Such as, when you post an offer of something on there, you have to be able to try to figure out who is really in need of your item, or who is 'fishing' as MarlaD said. There are others on there who may want something you have, working or not, simply for parts, or because they have the parts that will make it a usable item again. Another reason that it helps to know something about a lot of different things, because for instance, just because JoeShmoe doesn't want his 'perfectly good washtub with only a small hole in it' anymore, and you may not have a use for it as a washtub, you could always use it for planting flowers in, or many other uses as a way to keep it out of your landfills. That is the reported purpose behind this organization/website. If everyone would do something along these lines, everyone would have a much cleaner world to live in. The television (or whatever) that you threw out last week/month/year could have been offered on Freecycle before it was taken to the curb. It could just very well be that it might have ended up needing only slight repair that someone was very willing to give it. Now though, since you just 'kicked it to the curb' , it is in your/or my local landfill. I think everybody should at least take a look at this website and hopefully sign up too. Dear old Mother Earth needs our help and this is at least a way to start.
    only here occasionally due to work schedule... here mentally even less BTW... you can just call me poke

I'm an active Freecycler in Kansas City. We have a great community here!

Catherine
    "Nothing intoxicates some people like a sip of authority."

I'm the moderator for the Bridgton, Maine FreeCycle site. So far it has been an awesome experience, with just a few bumps along the way. I first saw the site on our local news, and after checking another Maine group out, got a free Barbie battery powered jeep for my daughter. I was hooked! I decided to start a more localized group in my area, and it really has been fun. Give it a try... it is free, after all
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

I've just been reading the e-mails in my group so far. Two things I don't like, most of the people offering things are very quick to announce it's gone. (in 2 hours or less) Since I only get on the computer once or twice a day most of the time, anything I'm vaguely interested in is gone quickly. Plus there seems to be a large group of people posting some huge wants. (DVD players, guiters, queen sized beds, one woman is planning her wedding and keeps posting how this is her dream and we need to help her) I know I can just ignore the want postings, but it's annoys me.

I'm getting started on the basement and plan to start offering soon. Just to get it out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    I've just been reading the e-mails in my group so far. Two things I don't like, most of the people offering things are very quick to announce it's gone.

Plus there seems to be a large group of people posting some huge wants.
    About half of the posters on the Kansas City list give to the first person who responds (which ends up being about the same 10 people who check the website every two minutes all day long.) The other half of the people tend to use little contests, such as: let me know if you are interested, along with a guess at what my favorite ice cream flavor is - the closest gets the item.

As for the people asking for over-the-top items - there are lazy, stupid, greedy people everywhere. Some people just never change.

Catherine
    "Nothing intoxicates some people like a sip of authority."

+ Reply to Thread