+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Age difference....

My husband is 2 1/2 years older tham me. (I'm 30, he's 32)
    We started dating when I was 15 and he was 17
    We've been married 4 1/2 years.

My two marriages were both to older men - the first marriage was to one of my college professors (I was 21, he was 37) - it lasted 7 years. The second marriage was to someone 15 years my senior. It lasted 2 1/2 years.

My mother told me (both times :rolleyes) marrying someone so much older than me would make me old before my time. She was right.

I have sinced moved on, dating someone 39 DAYS older than me, have never been happier, and people tell me I look 28, not 37.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Wow, impressive queenb and Marley! That's wonderful you have such good examples right in front of you. One of the nicest compliments we ever got from our daughter was when she thanked us for showing her what a good marriage looked like. I think we've been successful with our marriage because we had both been married before, and knew what we didn't want. That, and the fact that we married when we were older, 30 & 31, helped...and then of course there's that mysterious thing called 'chemistry'.
    This is my 'first' marriage but Mr. Marleybone was married before. You are right about knowing what you "don't" want your marriage to be like. It was hard at first because I think it took him a long time to trust that all women were not like his ex. That first year sucked big time but 23 years later it was worth sticking it out.

When we met, I thought my darling and I were exactly same age. We are both Capricorns and born same year. Thing is, I am born in January, he is in December... Well, we are exactly same age, for 19 days a year That makes me the older woman most of the year We were 20/21 when we met (which back then felt old, but now, 11 years later, thinking back at it we were so young and innocent).

ps. We celebrate our real anniversary on the date we started to date instead of wedding anniversary. I still remember how he asked that night "Will you date me and only me?" with this concerned look on his face... It was so sweet *sniff*, how could I ever have said no...
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 01-07-2005 at 12:13 PM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    The second marriage was to someone 15 years my senior. It lasted 2 1/2 years.
    Cyber-sis....My second marriage was to someone 14 years my senior and it lasted only 2 1/2 years as well (plus the 3 we dated). This was just one of many things I should have stuck with my gut on......age does not equal maturity. It always felt "weird" to me when I thought that he would be "50" in February. My first was to someone 5 years older and we were together for 12 years.

I'm seriously going to have to rethink this older man business however. I am being convinced by many here that I have had a narrow view on things and I might be missing out on something.

When I was born my mom was 41 and my dad was 27.

My ex was almost two years older than me.

The last person I sort-of dated was eight years older than me.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I've never been married, but I've had two "long term" relationships. The first was when I was 20, and he was 29. We lived together for five years. We also had his 9 year old son living with us full time, and the hardest part of the break-up was leaving the "son" I had basically "raised" for the past five years. Very difficult.

From 25 - 32, lots of dating, some short-term, some off and on over a period of years, but nothing *too* serious. Most of the men were around my age, or a bit older.

THEN, I met my second long term relationship -- AT WORK!!! I was 33 and he was 27; 6 1/2 years younger. We lived together for about three years -- very amicable break-up.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife
    I'm seriously going to have to rethink this older man business however. I am being convinced by many here that I have had a narrow view on things and I might be missing out on something.

See that, Unk?
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Tigrazhia, I'm with you in rubbing it in everyone's face - but not for the same reason. For my hubby and I, this was the first relationship for both of us after our respective divorces, and our relationship went VERY quickly . . .we met and were married within five months. Everyone said it wouldn't last, that we moved way too fast, and that we needed to get out there and experience "more" before getting serious with anyone. Who needs to experience "more" when you have already found the best? To me, that would be like having a fine wine, but choosing instead to drink various concoctions of sewer water - just to come to the conlusion that you liked the wine the best in the first place - but you threw it out because everyone said you should. Make sense?

I completely agree... plus... I REALLY hate to throw such a huge cliche out there but... "when you meet the right one, you just KNOW!" hehe.

I'm really happy for you & your husband, I'm glad you showed them all :-)
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    I love hearing about all of these long marriages. My grandparents just celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. They got married when they were 17!!! imagine that?? *shiver*

I hope I'm not speaking too soon - but Lori and TJ got married at 17, both are 21 now, with the two babies (I know, welcome to Utah) - and I've never seen a couple more meant for each other. It's so obvious they have been together for many, many lifetimes.

+ Reply to Thread