+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Year's Resolutions

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    My resolutions for 2006.
    1. pray more
    2. listen to and take car of my body more
    3. no more pity parties over my asthma and all the sick days, ER visits and reduced activities. Millions of people live with asthma, so will I. I've had it since I was a a child and if its going to get worse as I age, so be it. From now on the attacks and infections will have to sneak up on me I won't wait and worry anymore.
    4. spend my time more efficiently at work, less daydreaming and going down the hall to chat with friends.
    5. Learn how to REALLY relax both physically and mentally.

This was in Dear Abby: thought I'd share it with everyone.

DEAR READERS: Rise and shine, everyone! Welcome to a brand-new year. Today is our chance for a new beginning, the day we discard destructive habits for healthy new ones. With that in mind, I'm printing Dear Abby's oft-requested list of New Year's resolutions -- adapted by my mother from the original credo of Al-Anon.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY
    , I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things that I can correct and accept those I cannot.

JUST FOR TODAY
    , I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I'll improve my appearance, speak softly, and not interrupt when someone else is talking. Just for today, I'll refrain from improving anybody but myself.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will do something positive to improve my health. If I'm a smoker, I'll quit. If I'm overweight, I'll eat healthily -- if only just for today. And not only that, I'll get off the couch and take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.

I have a new resolution to add: to do my part on the war on drugs. No, nothing really dramatic

Yesterday the husband and I decided to check out the local flea market, which is no great shakes as far as flea markets go, but it had been a while since we had last stopped in. I'm being my usual oblivious self when the husband mentions he's seen seven drug transactions take place. Now my curiousity is piqued.

I ask for details and he tells me that some average looking young woman in a scruffy dark blue hoodie with a"Git R Done" logo on the back has been discreetly getting money, heading off to a car, and coming back to palm off small packages. I'm both amused at her audacity and disgusted that this could be going on in such a place, which, slight seediness aside, is a family atmosphere. He points her out to me, as she's sitting in the indoor restaurant, but all I got was the back of her head and the stupid slogan on her hoodie. I was all for narcing her out then and there but there were no cops in sight. The husband swears he can point her out if he sees her again, so I'm going to head to the flea market every weekend and I WILL get her skeevy butt arrested.
    Last edited by Texicana; 01-02-2006 at 11:11 AM.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Okay, Texi, I"m *dying* to ask. Were you at the "Hillbilly Fleamarket"? I used to go up there in high school to buy incense. Not for, uh...covering up anything. Just for the aroma. So you don't need to put me on your mission list.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

You know it, SG I was indeed at the Hillbilly Flea Market...it hasn't changed one whit in the 10 years I've been here. I prefer the Milton market in WV though.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I knew it. My mom and sister have been to the one in Milton. They said it was a pretty good one.

ETA: I guess I should say something on topic. I resolve not to invade France this year.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I kept my resolution last year and made it 30 days as a vegetarian (actually 40 days). Now it's on to bigger and better things.

This year it'll be everything I haven't done in a while: date more, party more, watch less news, get the anal retentive bug out of my ass and stop giving a flying f%$# about pleasing everyone and spending a little more time doing what I want to do. This is the year of ME.

I'd also like to volunteer more and stop putting off becoming a homeowner. I'm buying a house dammit! How's that for impulse shopping?
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    I plan on getting back on my exercise ritual of running the treadmill in the morning for at least 45 minutes and doing my bowflex at night for at least 30 minutes. Because of my medicine, I put on a couple extra pounds that I MUST get rid of immediately.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey
    Thanks for posting those "just for today" quotes, PGM35!!! I never get tired of reading them and I'm a firm believer that anyone can do anything for just one day at a time.

The trick is to do it one day at a time, day after day, while focusing on only that particular day (rather than on the endless line of days toward which you're setting your sights).

Anyway, back to the topic: I've had good luck with New Year's resolutions in my life: I gave up smoking and drinking almost 20 years ago, I happen to love to exercise so that's never been a hard one for me, and I finally got the whole "healthy eating" thing under control a couple of years ago.

This year, for a change, I'm going to hire someone to do my New Year's resolution for me -- I'm hiring a professional organizer to come into The Pomeranian Shack next month and help me get my stuff sorted, purged, organized, and filed, once and for all.

I'm happy about this 'cause life's too short to spend all my free time doing my own chores -- I'm very lucky to be able to afford to help to do my New Year's resolution for me, so I figure, "WHY NOT??"

(Oh geez, I'm starting to sound as bad as the dreaded Oprah -- next thing you know I'll be hiring a poo-scooper to follow The Pomeranians around!!! )

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    I forgot this one:
    *learn to play poker. I don't know how to play card games, and my card shark family wants me to play on the weekends, so I'm taking a crash course in Texas Hold Em.
    Arrrggghhh Texi...I spent my entire holiday playing poker with the inlaws. I'm a pretty darn good bluffer. I keep saying I don't like the game (I do love playing cards though, I'm a double-solitaire girl myself - I prefer fast card games) but I find myself watching it on TV now.

Oh, yeah, resolutions...my top two:

2. Stop watching World Poker Tournament to kill time.

1. Visit Hillbilly Flea Market.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread