+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Year's Resolutions

FORT Fogey
    My New Year's Resolutions are

1. Don't eat crappy food when hungry, go for the healthier alternative.
    2. Don't eat crappy food when not hungry, just resist the urge.
    3. Be all around nicer to people, a friendly smile can make all the difference in a person's day.
    4. Learn how to ride a bike (Yes, I really can't ride a bike )

And ADK, I really really hope you stick to your resolution. Best of luck, and just remember that you are making yourself and those around you healthier.

1. exercise more (hell...exercise at all)
    2. quit smoking (yeah, right)
    3. get a job (that i actually like)
    4. make some friends (that i actually like)
    5. deal with things better (that's what meds are for, eh?)
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

your post cracked me up, Amanda, but at the same time it makes a tremendous amount of sense. I wish you much success and a very happy New Year.

Thanks to everyone for offering words of encouragement to me as well. I WILL do it - my mind is made up and its simply the way things WILL be.

s Happy New Year to you all!
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda
    I resolve to drink more, to smoke more, to spend more money, to live life more. To listen to better music, to watch better movies, to meet interesting people. To stop passing up opportunities because sitting home and doing nothing is the easier alternative. To take better advantage of the world around me, and stop letting it float by. To not be afraid to try new things. To do whatever it takes to leave 2005 better and happier than I'll be beginning it, and to try to minimize any regrets I had about things I should have done differently. To do away with regrets altogether, actually.

Fairly lofty goals if you think about it, but even a small amount of success with them would be beneficial.

you have no idea how much i needed to read this today. thank you.
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

This isn't a resolution since I've never done it before. I'm going veggie! Yes, beef and chicken plants throughout the world have already began flying their flags at half mast.

2004 hasn't been the most healthiest of years for me and while my labwork shows me fit as a fiddle, eliminating meat from my diet will help with some other things going on right now.

I'm starting with 30 days of veggi-ness, then going from there. Baby steps and each month I'll make the same 30 day goal. I've been having a blast educating myself, finding recipes and such. I'd ultimately like to go for one full year.

As for the usual resolutions, the only one I am making is to read more.

Happy New Years everyone.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I chose some that I think I can actually attain...
    1) Do little to nothing constructive.
    2) Bitch a lot.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

1. Continue to walk and loss weight. (I got side tracked the last month)
    2. Eat healthier. Work on adding foods that naturally decrease cholestral and blood pressure.
    3. Work on figuring out how not to be a doormat but not being a flaming b*tch. There must be a middle ground and I need to find it.
    4. Visit at least 2 new places in the next year.
    5. Make some more money. Either get a raise, get a new job or get good paying part time job.

and 6....Finish getting divorced. I'm not sure what will be involved but I'll find out as I go along.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I'm going veggie! Yes, beef and chicken plants throughout the world have already began flying their flags at half mast.
    THAT explains it!!! NOW I GET IT, speedy!!! THANK YOU for the explanation!

All week long as I've driven around various parts of Massachusetts I had noticed -- for the first time ever -- a bunch of really odd things: (1) those flags you mentioned, flying at half mast out in front of Burger King and KFC, (2) a disheveled, disoriented Ronald McDonald who was wandering around Boston Common, muttering to himself and crying and kicking tin cans, (3) piles of discarded (but unopened) George Foreman grills and Weber grills and Hibachis stacked next to the dumpsters in front of Wal-Mart, (4) countless of boxes of plastic-wrapped, unused, unopened Hamburger Helper littering Route 9 along the side of the road near the Stop & Shop supermarket. . . . The list is endless.

While I've been dumbfounded by those sights I've been even more perplexed by the changes in behavior that I've witnessed among the farm animals in the area: (1) the cows are giggling, (2) the pigs are dancing, (3) chickens are singing like bluebirds of happiness. . . .

It was clear to me that something had changed in the world, something of enormous magnitude and impact, for the things I've witnessed just can't make sense in a world where business is as usual.

NOW I GET IT!!! Speedy's going veggie!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and enjoy your new health and, even more, THANK YOU!!! Thank you for making the change, and thank you for explaining why everything in Massachusetts has been so different this week!

(Word's obviously spread!)

FORT Fogey
    My Resolutions for 2005:

1. resume keeping a food journal -- it really helps me keep my health on track 'cause it forces me to eat good stuff and not skip;

2. meet some financial goals so I can apply to law school;

3. take the LSAT in the spring; and

4. redecorate the apartment.

nlmcp - one good food is sesame oil - it lowers blood pressure significantly. There is a dark, bitter version in the Asian section of your grocery store, but I recommend the lighter kind you might find in the health food section. It has to be refrigerated and not used for cooking, but it is scientifically proven by itself to lower blood pressure. Also walnuts (8-13/day) act like Draino on your arteries. Just passing on research I've done for myself. Pom - I am also starting a food diary to help me in my dietary resolutions, but my heart isn't in it yet. I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and have put it all back on, so starting from scratch again feels useless - yet I need to do it. sigh.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread