+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: New Year's Resolutions

Re: New Year's Resolutions

Low carb.

Cut out all bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, flour...flour...flour...sugar. ..sugar....sugar. Don't worry about fat because fat doesn't make people fat. Carbs do. Eat bacon and eggs and real butter. Throw away all your ketchup, A1, Heinz 57 sauce, and gravy. When you have steak, smother it in garlic butter. Same with chicken. Or put the garlic butter on the side and dip your steak or chicken into the garlic butter like you would lobster or crab legs. Btw, both of those are fine too, but I'm not a seafood eater, so I don't normally think of that. Have bunless cheeseburgers where you use a couple of nice big, crisp, crunchy lettuce leaves as your bun. Use mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip) as your condiment. Mustard and pickles are okay too. Go easy on the grilled onions and tomatoes, though. They have carbs. If you want pizza, have pizza. Just don't have it on a flour-based crust. Get creative. Mix parmesan cheese and crumbled pork rinds as your crust. Bind it together with an egg. Cook that first for about 10 minutes, remove it from the oven and layer it with your toppings and cook it some more. Snacks: deviled eggs made with mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip), celery sticks with peanut butter or celery sticks with cream cheese, nuts, pepperoni slices, sugar-free jello with real whipped cream you make yourself using heavy whipping cream and Stevia. I could go on, but I'm getting hungry.
    waywyrd, Arielflies and Cornholio like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

But I love carbs!!
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    But I love carbs!!
    Don't we all. I'm just saying, dieting doesn't have to be about hunger pains, boredom and deprivation.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

I don't have any of the traditional vices so my New Year's Resolution for 2018 is to fly on a plane, something I've never done. With my inner ear issues, I'm terrified of flying and getting a debilitating dizzy spell. My air traffic controller fiancé who gets a really good discount on airfare wants me to fly 'just this once' under the promise that if I hate it, I'll never have to do it again. So that's my goal for 2018: To fly on a plane.

Do any of you have a New Year's Resolutions?

Punkin, Gutmutter and Arielflies like this.

I'm happiest and healthiest when I'm on a whole plant based diet, but I've been way off recently. So my resolution is more of a reaffirmation to eat right and continue my daily swims. Sometimes it gets hard to hit the pool in the winter, but short of bad driving conditions, I'm pretty motivated. I always feel better leaving than when I arrive and they have hot showers and a sauna.
    JosephD likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Not for the whole year, but I'm doing Whole30 for January 2018!
    JosephD likes this.

I generally don't make resolutions because I never keep them: I set GOALS! This year, one of my big goals is to overhaul my second bedroom (which I jokingly refer to as "The Cats' Bedroom) and turn it into my studio. It'll be lots of work, but I need it to grow my business, which is my major goal for 2018. I'm tired of being a starving artist. I'd like to at least be just a slightly hungry artist I have lots on my 2018 to-do list that involve getting my house organized and more comfortable. I just have too much stuff. I tend to get overwhelmed when I see all the STUFF, but I'm going to set small goals every week until it's done. If I look at everything that needs to get done, I get a little (!) stressed.

I also have fitness and nutrition goals. Just more exercise and better (and less) food. The usual.
    Gutmutter, Arielflies and JosephD like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I did really well with my resolutions for 2017. I wanted to lose weight (check!), get my credit card debt paid off (check!), and work on complaining less and spreading positive news instead of bad news (I did better but this one still needs work).

So my resolutions this year are to keep going with those resolutions, work harder at thinking before I speak, get my spending under better control, and get some repairs done at my condo.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

I am like Critical in that I have goals. They are on a continuum until I meet them so don't really coincide with the new year. I plan to retire in the summer so with that I am trying to get all my stuff in order. Another big one is to finish the upstairs of my house which has a pretty good floor now but I still need to work on the walls in two of the rooms, then paint and update the trim everywhere. An ongoing goal is to reduce the stuff I have. After working on my parents possessions and what my grandmother had, I understand much more about what the end result of all that is. So I have a huge desire to pare down. Trouble is, I have a great collection of fabric and jewelry making supplies. Hopefully my retirement will help me work on those items more!

My goal is to sort through all of our photos, both hard copies and digital copies.
    Cootie likes this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

+ Reply to Thread