+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Year's Resolutions

Re: New Year's Resolutions

I have a whole list of resolutions this year

Take control of our financial crisis and agressively work to fix it
    including:
    Restrict all eating out/Getting takeaway to 2 times a month.
    (unless the inlaws are treating us )

Drink more water

Work harder to control/fix my depression and temper

Spend less time online and watching TV in the evenings when the kids go to bed
    and more time doing "real life" activities

Keeping on top of housework, reading, playing scrabble with Mr Nerd...

"Play" with my children more.
    I have a terrible inability to understand how to play with the boys.
    I know how to love them, take care of them, provide for them.
    But when it comes to playing with them, or trying to do children activities I feel like a computer that never had those programs installed.
    Sometimes I even find it downright unpleasent.

Put some "In love" back into my "I love you"s with Mr Nerd
    It's been too many years with us as Roomates/Best friends/Co-parents

And one final thing I would like to do this year: (when I can)
    is to take on 1 project that scares me.
    Meaning, a project that I constantly fantasize about, and think "gee I could do that. And I totally would, "but".." But the real truth is that the "but" is just my way of making excuses, so I don't ever have to go out of my comfort zone. I have a habit of only attempting things I know I'll be good at because I am so afraid to fail. I think I'll start small... But still.
    It might be good for me to experience the terror/thrill of doing something new.

My main resolution I suppose, will be to stick to my list!

I am definately a list, chart and graph person. I need to have all of the information right there at a glance
    and update it every time there is even a minor change. With so much to keep track of, it's the only way I can keep it all straight and stop having things fall through the cracks. To help me I actually emailed the Financial and budgeting charts to my husband at work and had him print them out and bring them home to hang up on the wall. It's a lot harder to ignore or forget something when it's staring you in the face.
    Last edited by ClosetNerd; 01-10-2009 at 01:29 PM.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Last year, my resolution was to get serious about dieting and exercising. I'm still working on that one but I made pretty good strides this year!

In 2014, I want to continue my diet and also work really hard on getting my credit card debt paid off. I'm going to start planning purchases ahead and asking myself a few questions, like do I really need it? Do I have to have it now or can I wait a few weeks or months to get it? Is there something less expensive or something I already own that I can use instead? I'm hoping to stop spending money a few dollars here, a few dollars there, one frivolous overspend here, one spontaneous purchase there and gradually start saving enough money to pay off my debt. I'll have so much less stress without financial issues hanging over me!
    CantGetNuf and Kip like this.
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

I don't do New Year's Resolutions. I know, you may think I'm being negative or an old stick in the mud for saying this, but if that's what I am, then I own it & am fine with it.
    I think New Year's Resolutions are just setting yourself up for failure. People put lofty goals on themselves, often saying they are going to do something they haven't been able to do for many years, if not their whole lives. Then when they slip, they figure they broke their Resolution & out the window it goes.

The way I look at it, if you really are going to accomplish something or change yourself, you should already be doing it without a day or Resolution to bring it on.
    That way, when you slip, you aren't breaking anything, so you just get back on track & keep on trying 'till it sticks.
    Plus the public announcement of a New Year's Resolution makes you feel ashamed & like a failure if it doesn't stick.

A private decision to change something doesn't do that. No excuses, no failures, no explainations, just keep on trying 'till you get where you want to be or do what you want to do.
    There are enough things in life to bring me down. I don't need to set myself up for more.
    Ellen, CantGetNuf and waywyrd like this.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't usually do New Year's resolutions. My diet last year wasn't a planned resolution. It just happened to happen around that time.

I just wanted to set a goal for myself this year to start the year off right.

I don't have quite as pessimistic view about setting goals. I don't think it necessarily sets you up for failure. And even if you do struggle, you at least might get farther than you would have if you hadn't made a point to concentrate on your goals. For instance, a C student might resolve to make all A's. Maybe they'll fall short and earn some A's and some B's, but they at least made improvements on the C's they had been getting!
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

One of the easier resolutions I want to make for next year is to get rid of the majority of emails I end up not reading anyway.

You buy one thing from a website and you end up on every mailing list they have. It takes time, patience and good eyesight to find the part of the email that says "unsubscribe" but logging on - especially this time of year - and finding 50 new emails is ridiculous, especially when 45 of them aren't even from a REAL PERSON.

A little bit of spring cleaning - electronically speaking.
    Ellen likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread