+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Year's Resolutions

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2143984;
    Instead of New Year's resolutions, the last few years, we have written down things about the year that we wanted to forget or have gone in the new year or just regrets, etc. Then we light a fire on New Year's Eve and toss those things in the fire and burn away the "old bad stuff" and start the New Year fresh. Or at least try too. It's been kind of a cool thing to do to let go of the past that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2144106;
    That's a pretty cool idea. We don't have a fireplace but I can bring the pieces of paper outside in the courtyard and light them with a lighter and just watch them burn away. Another cool thing to do if you want to spend a little more money would be to get some balloons (say a dozen or 1/2 dozen). Write the things down on little sqaures of paper. Put tiny holes in the tops of the papers and string them onto the balloons and tie it off. Then you go outside, stand in a clearing (where there are no trees) and let them go.
    They both sound like very good ideas.

MRD
    We never had a fireplace until this year. We did have one of those portatble fir pits in the backyard and that's where we did it. You can also take a coffee can and put twigs in it and light a fire in it and burn your slips of paper. The coffee can contains the small fire. Just don't try to pick up the can until its had a chance to cool off.

The balloon idea is good, but what goes up, must come down and often they are a danger to wildlife once back on the ground.

But it is very freeing to do this and then we toast the new year in by saying: "Here's to new opportunities and a fresh start"

I know a lot of people don't make resolutions, but the beginning of a new year always makes me look ahead to a whole new year that is full of new possibilities and a fresh place to start over if need be.
    Wipe the slate clean from the previous year and start out with optimism for a great new year. Nothing specific, just hope, looking ahead at the new year and knowing it will be what it will be and accepting whatever happens. But I just love the fact that I have a whole year stretching out before me that may contain some (hopefully) really good stuff!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mine is goign to be to stay better in touch with my friends and be better about writing thank you notes!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Oh Toby! A kindred spirit. I am so bad about thank you notes. I know I should do them, but they keep slipping down my to-do list! I love the ideas for burning/freeing old hurts and ills and wiping the slate clean for the new year.
    Count your blessings!

I'm going to have a really different resolution this year...

Let's see....I think I'm gonna get serious about eating healthy---eat less sweets--eat more veggies--- less fried foods.....and exercise EVERYDAY!

Seriously, I really do need to start paying attention to what I eat....I guess what I really need is more discipline....
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2147547;
    Oh Toby! A kindred spirit. I am so bad about thank you notes. I know I should do them, but they keep slipping down my to-do list! I love the ideas for burning/freeing old hurts and ills and wiping the slate clean for the new year.
    Gut, I love writing them. I'll gladly do them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2144276;
    I know a lot of people don't make resolutions, but the beginning of a new year always makes me look ahead to a whole new year that is full of new possibilities and a fresh place to start over if need be.
    I think that's a wonderful outlook.

I have a friend who's a widower. His wife died recently and was only 29--very young, beautiful, and smart--and a greeat friend to all of us. He said after that happened, he realized that he can't plan his life out every single minute thinking he'll have time to do this or that later. He always wanted to quit his job and go to law school. Now he's doing it. He decided that he can't afford to quit, but he can go to law school at night (and it turns out his company will even pay for a good chunk of it). Later might not come for any of us. I'm so glad that while they were together, they had a lot of fun traveling and doing things together that a lot of us say we'll do when we're retired. I'm not saying I'm advocating spending all your savings now and having nothing for the future. But for a cheapskate and worry wart like me, it's a good reminder that life is meant to be lived and that it's not always a good thing to be too cautious all the time. Each day really is precious and, like all the cliches say, should be enjoyed and appreciated.

I hope to live 2007 to the fullest, in whatever that may mean for the husband and me. I wish you all a safe, fun, and very happy new year!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 12-30-2006 at 11:37 PM.

Does getting out of bed count?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2190970;
    Does getting out of bed count?
    You poor thing! Yes it does! I hope you feel better SOON! That goes for your little sick kitty, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna;2190949;
    Seriously, I really do need to start paying attention to what I eat....I guess what I really need is more discipline....

I resolve to find:
    (a) a cure for stupidity
    OR
    (b) a way to profit from it.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I resolve to not start smoking, to not start drinking and driving, to not start doing drugs, to not start being violent and to not start carrying a knife around town even though those seem to be the things to do right now.

I resolve to not start being stoopid!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread