+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gifts We're Giving!

Gifts We're Giving!

We have a gifts we received so here's one for gifts we're giving.

I have my assistant's name for our Kris Kringles. With a staff of 4 everyone has figured out who has who. I told her last week she was getting coal in her's b/c she's bad. She keeps saying she'll take coal as long as it's not a switch. I have bamboo in my back yard. This morning I'm cutting a piece, putting on a ribbon and it's going in her stocking. Tomorrow I'll bring her real presents. The staff are receiving GC for 1 hour massages.

Friends/family are receiving the usual. Although a good friend LOVES Elvis. I bought her an Elvis scrub top. She's going to go nuts.

toothdoc

We are making quite a few of our gifts this year. Mr. Melitta has made 2 hot plate holders. They are made with a 12"X12" piece of tile with a wood frame. He has also made book ends that hold a 4X6 picture on each end. Other than those it is mostly clothes and toys for the kids.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

My husband's mother died on the 8th of December, and so my husband is pretty bummed about the holidays this year. Basically, he just wants them to be over and he doesn't want any presents. His only consolation (as the devout Catholic he is) is that his mother, who was widowed 37 years ago, is finally together again with her beloved husband in heaven.

With the help of my husband's sister, I snuck over to the mom's house and went through the old photo albums. I found two beautiful old yellowed snapshots from New Year's Eve 1950, where the mom and dad are together with big happy smiles. In one, they are together sitting on the floor in front of the Christmas tree. The other has them standing side by side behind the bar in the den.

Not being photoshop handy like the rest of you, I had to PAY for this next part. I took the photos to a fancy photography studio, to be scanned, restored, and blown up. Then I ordered 5x7 prints on watercolor paper of each shot. I could have gone larger, but I thought he might want to have one or both on his desk.

Last night, when he came home from doing some things at his mother's house, he had a little 3x5 black and white photo of his mom and dad together. It wasn't a good shot at all, but he was happy to have it because he has very few pictures of his dad (who died when he was 4) and he had none of the parents together. It was all I could do not to say, oh buddy just wait to see what I have for you! I'm going to pick up the prints today!

This year I am, finally, keeping my promise to myself and making most of the presents I am giving. I made four crazy quilted stockings for a friend who is just finishing building a new house, and I am almost finished with a Christmas tree skirt for my mother-in-law (crazy quilted as well). I am also making a small tablecloth for my grandmother-in-law (quilted, snails trail pattern). I was going to make stockings for my brother-in-law's family, but sewing machine broke down, and I might have to give the tree skirt and table cloth priority over the stockings since I have to finish all projects by hand sewing. But I am so happy/proud I finally got myself to making the presents, and I am even in time, this normally never happens
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

I'm giving small gifts to everyone. Nobody in my family felt like doing a big Christmas, so small was the way to go. I am taking my dad out to dinner for his gift.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I'm making most of my gifts this year, also. However, unlike the rest of you, I have NO creative talent, so I'm drawing stick figures with crayons on brown lunch bags. AND I bought bows. I've outdone myself again! I'll mostly be giving homemade wreaths - I dried a bunch of my roses from my garden and will be glueing them to anything that holds still long enough. Guess I'd better get busy on that, eh?

Of course Bailee will be getting anything and everything she could ever, ever want.

Actually, I did make my daughter's wedding dress - the poor kid!

I know I'm showing my lack of homemaking knowledge - but what is "crazy quilting"?

oh boy am I ever lame...

My mom's birthday is a week before Christmas. I made her a silver and ruby necklace with matching earings. Her first name is Ruby. The ruby part of the necklace is really made of red glass beads. She loves the set. She was really surprised when I told her I made them myself. Gotta love her.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

J.D. crazy quilting is more free style quilting, usually with embroidery and embellishments added. A lot of crazy quilting was done in Victorian age, where they used silks and velvets for quilting. I got the pattern for the Christmas tree skirt from internet, but I can not find it anymore, maybe they moved it.
    Here is a cover of a book showing what a fancy crazy quilt could look like.
    The picture has a lot of embroidery, mine is not quite so elaborate, and mine is in Christmas fabrics. Crazy quilting in fun though, and so easy to learn, that everyone should try it sometime just to say that one has tried some traditional American craft
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Holy moly! That is beautiful. It sure looks like a lot of work....wow.

I need to stop dropping in here, it just makes me realize how creatively inferior I really am! I can (usually) stay in the lines when I color.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    I can (usually) stay in the lines when I color.
    But, J.D., what's the fun in that? When my daughter was little and had friends over coloring, sometimes I'd join them and color the sky green, or the grass blue.....it drove them nuts.

Mr. Rose's family is huge, and every year more and more little ones come along. Christmas exchanging was getting expensive, so we went the traditional mode of picking names and buying one gift. That got kind of boring and serious, and sometimes plans would change at the last minute and someone couldn't come, who had planned on coming, or could come, who originally said they wouldn't.....it got complicated. So, about five years ago, we started something new. Everyone who is joining us Christmas Day, brings a gift. Anything goes....we've had teenagers bring a box of markers, tots bring a candy bar, or we've had beautiful picture frames, candles....anything. Everything is put in the center of the room, wrapped, of course. Everyone gets a number, and #1 chooses any gift they want, opens it, then the next person can take that present, or choose another to open. It can go on for hours sometimes, and it gets crazy, loud and is a hoot. We've had some fabulously funny situations. It is great fun!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast