+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gifts We're Giving!

JD - I feel your pain. I'm not exactly crafty either BUT I did make most of my gifts this year (except for my daughter's Santa gifts - magic kit, science kit and Groovy Girl doll stuff)

I made fleece blankets: two yards of fleece with a great pattern, laid out (bad side in) on top of two yards of coordinating solid color fleece, trimmed even (ok - cut to the size of my dining room table ), cut a seven inch square out of all corners, then cut 1 1/2 inch-ish (I eyeballed them) strips x seven inches deep around all sides, then simply double knot the two fabrics together all around, making fringe all around the edges (does that make sense?) Toasty cozy warm, takes about 40 minutes per blanket at a cost (if the fleece is on sale) of about 15$ per blanket, and NO SEWING REQUIRED.

Sixteen (!) complete, two to go (oh - and I'm out two pairs of scissors, too )
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    My husband's mother died on the 8th of December, and so my husband is pretty bummed about the holidays this year. Basically, he just wants them to be over and he doesn't want any presents. His only consolation (as the devout Catholic he is) is that his mother, who was widowed 37 years ago, is finally together again with her beloved husband in heaven.

With the help of my husband's sister, I snuck over to the mom's house and went through the old photo albums. I found two beautiful old yellowed snapshots from New Year's Eve 1950, where the mom and dad are together with big happy smiles. In one, they are together sitting on the floor in front of the Christmas tree. The other has them standing side by side behind the bar in the den.

Not being photoshop handy like the rest of you, I had to PAY for this next part. I took the photos to a fancy photography studio, to be scanned, restored, and blown up. Then I ordered 5x7 prints on watercolor paper of each shot. I could have gone larger, but I thought he might want to have one or both on his desk.

Last night, when he came home from doing some things at his mother's house, he had a little 3x5 black and white photo of his mom and dad together. It wasn't a good shot at all, but he was happy to have it because he has very few pictures of his dad (who died when he was 4) and he had none of the parents together. It was all I could do not to say, oh buddy just wait to see what I have for you! I'm going to pick up the prints today!
    MalibuPam, this sounds terrific. I really hope your husband loves what you have done for him. It is very hard to try and celebrate Christmas right after losing someone you love. Let us know how he liked it, o.k.?
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

My husband's mother died on the 8th of December, and so my husband is pretty bummed about the holidays this year. Basically, he just wants them to be over and he doesn't want any presents. His only consolation (as the devout Catholic he is) is that his mother, who was widowed 37 years ago, is finally together again with her beloved husband in heaven.

With the help of my husband's sister, I snuck over to the mom's house and went through the old photo albums. I found two beautiful old yellowed snapshots from New Year's Eve 1950, where the mom and dad are together with big happy smiles. In one, they are together sitting on the floor in front of the Christmas tree. The other has them standing side by side behind the bar in the den.

Not being photoshop handy like the rest of you, I had to PAY for this next part. I took the photos to a fancy photography studio, to be scanned, restored, and blown up. Then I ordered 5x7 prints on watercolor paper of each shot. I could have gone larger, but I thought he might want to have one or both on his desk.

Last night, when he came home from doing some things at his mother's house, he had a little 3x5 black and white photo of his mom and dad together. It wasn't a good shot at all, but he was happy to have it because he has very few pictures of his dad (who died when he was 4) and he had none of the parents together. It was all I could do not to say, oh buddy just wait to see what I have for you! I'm going to pick up the prints today!
    I somehow missed your post, Malibu......what a beautiful thing you've done....your hubby is going to be THRILLED! You'd better have kleenix handy....I think he's going to need it. My dad died when I was young, and for my sister's 50th birthday, I found an old black and white photo of the two of them standing together with his arm around her, and I had it blown up and framed....she cried like a baby.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    I'm making most of my gifts this year, also. However, unlike the rest of you, I have NO creative talent, so I'm drawing stick figures with crayons on brown lunch bags. AND I bought bows.
    oh boy am I ever lame...
    Stick on bow too I bet? -- well actually thats doing more than me, all cards and a fifty in each one, thats it PERIOD. But I did have to LICK the envelope flaps.. ick :phhht
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I'm so impressed by all these crafty people in this forum!! I usually make cookies for everyone, but that is about as far as I go - maybe I include sprinkles if I'm feeling extra creative This year, I bought most of my gifts online to avoid the crazy mall headache! I bought my sister some DVDs, my mom a nice sweater on Ebay, my brother a movie gift certificate (he says there are a ton of new movies he wants to see this christmas - lemony snickets, the life aquatic, meet the fockers), i got his kids some bed buggs from their website. I didn't have to go to any stores and that makes my christmas a success! Maybe next year I'll make everything

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    I somehow missed your post, Malibu......what a beautiful thing you've done....your hubby is going to be THRILLED! You'd better have kleenix handy....I think he's going to need it. My dad died when I was young, and for my sister's 50th birthday, I found an old black and white photo of the two of them standing together with his arm around her, and I had it blown up and framed....she cried like a baby.
    Yes, I have considered that! I'm going to give it to him in private, Christmas Eve, instead of in my parents' living room Christmas morning surrounded by 22 of his in-laws.

By the way, I just got back from picking up the prints, and they look great. The gal who photoshopped them (at $85/hour ) got rid of the big flashbulb glare in the mirrored bar behind them and re-adjusted the color. I'm glad I didn't go for larger than 5 x 7, though, because the resolution could not have supported anything bigger than that.

That was a wonderful idea. Make sure you have a lot of Puffs around. Everyone will probably need some.

Loosing a loved one b/f the holidays is so difficult. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

toothdoc

I did knit about 8 scarves, but have gone a little crazy on gifts for my kids. My favorite gift I'm giving this year is for my 16-yr. old son. He is really hard to buy for and has been going through a moody phase, but one day a catalogue came and he was thumbing through it and suddenly he lit up and said, "Wow!" It was THE RING from the Lord of the Rings movie with Elvish inscripted on it. So even though it was more than I normally spend on the kids, I knew I had to get it. I can't wait for him to open it.
    Count your blessings!

I did all my Christmas shopping online this year which worked out great. I went gonzo at Toys R Us for my nieces and nephews and Barnes and Noble for my bro/ sis/ parents.

I don't have a creative bone in my body but I do enjoy reading about everyone's crafty ideas. Maybe someday I'll give it a shot at making a blanket or candle.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I was an art major, so I try to do at least one artsy gift each year. My secret santa at work lost her husband at Christmas several years ago, so I painted a picture of her with an angel shape in the background with his arms around her. She really appreciates it, so I'm happy.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast