+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Viruses, Trojans, and other annoying stuff

I don't know much about computers, all I know is I love my Norton Utilities. Like Tigrazhia was saying, it's a no-brainer. I don't mind paying some for the extra security because my poor little VAIO lappy has been invaded in the past and it was such a headache.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Actually, I do have Adaware on my computer.

Last time I ran it, it found like 70. But the first time my mom ran it on her computer, it found like 200 on hers.

And, uh, Melitta, I don't know much about that, but that might be a scam for you to waste money on them. Hmm...
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

Quote Originally Posted by Super Goten
    Actually, I do have Adaware on my computer.

Last time I ran it, it found like 70. But the first time my mom ran it on her computer, it found like 200 on hers.

And, uh, Melitta, I don't know much about that, but that might be a scam for you to waste money on them. Hmm...

I was kind of wondering if there really was another 400 spywares on my computer. AdAware couldn't really have missed that many could it? I think I will pay only for a reputable spyware.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I use to have Norton. It would look for update definitions, then would not be able to download them once it found them...?? Anyone else have trouble with this? They were there, but would not download/install. I got so frustrated, I downloaded a different antivirus program.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

I use to have Norton. It would look for update definitions, then would not be able to download them once it found them...?? Anyone else have trouble with this?
    Angelic-
    I had the same problem. Not sure if if this what happened with you but here's why it happened for me:

I had Norton 2002 installed on my computer. In 2003, I just renewed the '02 package (I was trying to save some money and it was only $9.95). However, this year I downloaded Norton 2004, a completely new program.

Norton '04 rewrote over '02 except for a few files. Those I had to uninstall mannually but I wasn't aware of that. So everytime I went to check for updates I was getting two programs battling each other. Once I had uninstalled the remainder of Norton 2002 I haven't had any problems.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Thanks, speedbump. I had a tech guy come out and look at my pc with Norton on it.
    He never really did figure out why it wasnt downloading the updates.. It would find them, then say it couldn't download them. I got another antivirus program, because I was so fed up..and it works fine..the only thing is it does not find definitions as quickly/regularly as Norton did. Wish Norton worked. I had the Norton 2005 version.
    The tech even uninstalled it a couple times..to wipe my whole system clean..when he re-installed it, but it STILL would not download the virus definitions.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002
    I use to have Norton. It would look for update definitions, then would not be able to download them once it found them...?? Anyone else have trouble with this? They were there, but would not download/install. I got so frustrated, I downloaded a different antivirus program.
    Yes, I've had a similar issue as the one you described with Norton. Read this article from the Symantec Web site for more information about this issue and a possible resolution.

I tried the resolution suggested in that article, but the issue only seemed to be resolved for a few days and then returned. The bad news is that I ended up reformatting (wiping the data from the hard disk and reinstalling Windows) my computer and then reinstalling Norton before auto-update could work properly. I hope you have better luck with their fix.

I also run avast!, which isn't too shabby as far as free anti-virus packages go.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12