+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Year's plans

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2190675;
    I miss the old days of dressing up with friends, going out for a nice dinner and dance until the wee hours and then piling into a cab to make sure we all got home in one piece.
    I miss that too. Nowadays it's trying to stay awake until midnight - can't let the pre-teens of the family think we are old fogies.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Yeah, but what I don't miss is the anxiety of the whole New Year's Eve buildup! Is he going to ask me out? Why isn't anyone asking me out? If the girls and I go out, will I meet anyone cute to kiss at midnight? What do I wear? ARGH! I don't miss that at all! I remember one New Year's Eve, my date stood me up so I was a third wheel for a fancy schmancy dress-up NYE party. The clock strikes midnight and everyone's kissing and there I am in my fancy black gown by myself. My friend's boyfriend took pity on me and gave me a hug. Instead of making me feel better, I felt like a total loser!

Quote Originally Posted by gracie;2190676;
    Misskitty, I didn't know I was invited for New Year's at your house!!

My daughter and her family are coming here to eat spaghetti and watch the Bears game. She and mr. gracie are fanatics when it come to the Bears. We'll play some cards (eucher), have a few drinks (margaritas) and try to keep her kids from killing each other.
    I'll be at 2 different neighbor's house parties, one of which will be a combination Bears and Birthday bash for one of the younger ones ( early 20's). This group uses the birthday as a "reason" for the party every year. They turn in their keys, get drunk, and then accuse US of consuming all the booze. Nice people and always fun. I LOVE my neighborhood and neighbors !

SUGGESTION: Let's all think of those who can't be with us (physically) at Midnight -- raise a glass of whatever ... and celebrate good friends !

The folks at FORT will be among those in my thoughts.

Happy New year All !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I have never been a big partier...normally I just stayed up until midnight goofing around with my brothers. The only year that I actually stay up all night was when I camped out for the Rose Parade with friends --- that was fun, but brutal afterwards.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Our family usually just watch movies and eat munchies until 11: and then we watch the ball or apple drop. We toast with sparkling cider and then watch the fireworks from the bar 3 miles up the main road. ( all the lights none of the noise) The only real tradition is that we call my Mother with in 15 minutes of mid-night and wish her Happy Birthday. Usually the little ones go to bed right after that and the older ones and me stay up until 2: watching a movie the younger can't see.

My husband has worked New Years for years. As a long haul trucker, whose company has all the IBM contracts, he and everyone else who drives work because the deliveries start coming out Christmas Eve and have to be delivered by January 15. I gave up trying to go out years ago.

Probably just watch TV -- actually I'll probably be asleep as usual around 9:00
    Getting up every couple hours to check on Mona
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I wasn't going to post here because those are my exact plans (minus Mona). Sweet dreams gabriel!
    Count your blessings!

This is the first year in quite a while that I don't have plans to go out with my husband. I don't know, just not feeling much like getting drunk and causing a ruckus this time. Perhaps it's a sign that I am getting old. I hope to be snoring peacefully by 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2190894;
    I wasn't going to post here because those are my exact plans (minus Mona). Sweet dreams gabriel!
    Sweet dreams to you also. Actually I haven't done anything for New Years Eve for quite a few years. Too many crazies out there. Back in the 70s and early 80s it just seemed different.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2190711;
    You're on the West Coast right?

Well meet me here at 9 your time, midnight mine and we'll both post Happy New Year and then you can go to bed having toasted in the new year! Deal?

(but only if I can stay up to midnight on the east coast. )
    .............................. ........and I said no parties.....what was I thinking? OK, that's a deal.. .............................. ......................and if for some reason you're a no show....I'll understand...........
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread