+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Year's plans

I will be working the next couple of days in the rain (not by any real choice, but the project HAS to get done by 31 December.) New Years Eve will be a hot bath and a warm bed. It will be a close call as to whether I'm snoring before the Newfs, who go to bed pretty early.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD
    Well the last few years, we went to our friends and fondued. But they have small children and he had to work on New Year's Day, so we were always home by 9. Daughter and I stayed up watching Dick Clark and hubby was in bed. What gets me is that he'll stay up past midnight watching tv on any other night EXCEPT New Year's Eve. Then he's snoring.

Since we moved and our friend sadly passed away this year, no fondue.

Oh, and we have to sedate the dogs because of fireworks. Now we've moved to the fireworks capital of the US so will probably have to sedate me too.

I think I will make some snacks, maybe rent a movie and that is it.

We NEVER go out anymore, haven't in about 15 years. We both call it Amatuer night anyway and don't want to be sharing the roads with people that have celebrated too much.

One thing I want to do this year because its been such a bad year for us in a lot of ways is something I heard about doing. Write down all your problems, all the things that are worrying you, all the bad things that happened throughout the year. Build a fire and one by one, read the slips and toss them into the flames. The old crap burns up and you are supposedly free to start the new year with a clean slate. Very symbolic, but I think I will try it as I need something like that right now.

When I was single, a group of us always went to Key West for several days. New Year's Eve down there is a LOT of fun. Duval street is closed to traffic and its packed and of course, all the bars are open and people everywhere drinking and having fun. I, uh, shouldn't even repeat this, but one year when the bars closed on Key West at 5 a.m., we went over the bridge to Stock Island to a 24 hour bar. I will NEVER forget walking out the door and the sun was shining and I don't mean it was coming up. I mean it was up and shining!
    Oh boy, glad I'm not young, stupid and single anymore. Just old, stupid and married. Although the stupid and married part don't sound so good together. But I think you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2190074;

My son is 20 so I haven't had a sitter problem in years. The trick will be being able to stay up till midnight. Once you reach the age where you don't need a sitter, you also reach the age where you are usually in bed by 9 or 10
    This is so sad, but so true. (read above where I could and did stay up for 24 hours)
    Sounds like fun though. Always loved a good bonfire. Take a nap in the afternoon so you can stay up.
    Last edited by Amanda; 12-29-2006 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Changing "tho" to "though"
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Until a couple ago, the husband and I would usually go to dinner and then hit one of those New Year's Eve parties with concerts (the Goo Goo Dolls, Aretha Franklin etc.), but there haven't been that many bands we want to spend that much money on lately. So we've been doing the dinner thing and then coming home to ring in the new year. This year, we're going to a chi-chi sushi joint. And bbnbama, we normally order enough sushi to make us complain, too...and then we order some more! Then we will most likely come home and watch a DVD before channel surfing for all the new year's eve countdown shows on the networks, MTV etc. Well, I will. He'll pretend to watch. And then we'll call it a night. Hopefully we'll make it past midnight. But no promises.

I'll be in bed by 11 as I have to go to work at 7 a.m. on the 1st. I haven't seen midnight on New Year's Eve in years.

We do a pickup bbq rib dinner (with all the extras) and then just veg until we fall asleep (usually before midnight)

Since New Year's Eve is on Sunday night, we'll be having the kids over for dinner as usual. My grandchild is almost 7 months old, and I love to see her as often as possible. After dinner we'll probably play the Trivial Pursuit '80's edition, they'll leave about 9 and I'll probably be in bed by 10:30.

We haven't really done anything unusual since Y2K when my husband and son got up on the roof in their army fatigues, with painted faces, convinced that the world as we knew it was about to come crashing in. Those were the days. We don't drink any more.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann;2190219;
    We haven't really done anything unusual since Y2K when my husband and son got up on the roof in their army fatigues, with painted faces, convinced that the world as we knew it was about to come crashing in. Those were the days. We don't drink any more.
    That's too, too funny. What a visual too.

I am taking my daughter to a movie for her birthday Sunday afternoon. Then, I will probably let her stay up until midnight to see the "fireworks they let off for her birthday"

I will probably ring in the new year sitting at my computer lol. This is the first time in 3 years i dont have to be awake at 5 am the next morning for work! And I think on New Year's Day, we are going to my grandma's. She got an outdoor fire pit for christmas, and said she wanted it together by that day so we could roast hotdogs and marshmallows on it lol.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by DjDeluxay;1206664;
    I am scheduled to appear at Apocalypse @ Qwest Field here in SEattle, WA.
    Some pretty good Djs are gonna be there.
    But i wanna try and find a way to spend it with my crush.
    Lol i'll be cheering you on 20 minutes south of there. I wonder what colors the lights on Qwest field are going to be that night. Let's see if i can actually stay up untill midnight lol
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

+ Reply to Thread