+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you own any recipe organizing software?

Do you own any recipe organizing software?

This question could be buried in the Cookie Thread, and since there are posters here that may not bake, but are excellent in other cooking areas, I thought I'd toss it out, solo.

I've now reached the point where I can spend MORE time looking for a recipe than making it. I currently own over 500+ cookbooks, starting my collection in my teens.

Trying to remember where I saw that Whipped Potatoes and Roasted Garlic recipe is driving me nuts!

I did a search for recipe downloads, but that was just as bad. Their costs range from $13.00 to over $30.00. Some probably claim they've won awards and others are proud of their "Drag and Drop" methods of posting recipes.

Do any of you have a program you'd recommend?

I would hate to buy an expensive program only to find out that I don't like it.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Insane Squirrel free2b_a_skwerl's Avatar
    Srry, lambkins, I don't know, but I just had to say that that's A LOT of cookbooks!
    It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt by a tumbleweed!

Yeah, it is, isn't it! I didn't even try to collect them, they just came into my life. It all started with me being bored, at an Antique's Faire with my friend, Pam. She, of the endless search for the perfect dining room table, was measuring yet another round table when I wandered over to a book dealer. One of the sections was cookbooks. I browsed through them and then a really old one caught my eye. It was published back in the 20's----waaaaay before Civil Rights or ANY rights, for that matter. It was a Regional Cookbook when people rarely strayed from their homes by more than 50 miles, if even that. There were recipes for "Burgoo Stew for 200", and "How to Dress Raccoons". (and I don't think they meant Party Dresses!)

Pretty soon, I had Pam looking for me! I had settled into a chair, in the booth, and had spent 2 hours there, looking at all the cookbooks this guy had for sale. I ended up buying 10 of them and that was the start of my collection.

Through the years, I've added them, but quite a few have been gifts, in fact, more than half. Before I owned my own company, I had so much more time, and each Fall, I'd do all my own canning and preserving for the entire next year. Now, I'm lucky to have the time to cook a couple of meals a month.

Oh, well, if no one has any suggestions, I lost nothing.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

WOW! I've never heard a story like that before. I know Some people that have a lot of cookbooks, but their collection never began like that!

Quote Originally Posted by free2b_a_skwerl
    WOW! I've never heard a story like that before. I know Some people that have a lot of cookbooks, but their collection never began like that!
    And it's true, all true! My mom despised cooking. She made "reservations" for dinner. So, all the skills that I have are either self-taught or from remembering what my Gran did when she raised me when I was wee.

The collection is one entire wall in the kitchen and also in a beautiful Danish dining room credenza from the '20's. I have collections on Canning; Swedish/Scandinavian Cooking; Vegan; Vegetarian (I was one for 20 years); Pie collections; Honey; Molasses; Basil; Tomatoes, etc. And when I say 'collections' I mean 10 Honey cookbooks; 3 on Parsnips; 5 on Basil....well, you catch my meaning.

Also, taking a cue from the old/used books I bought, I always leave hand-written notes and dates on the recipes that I make. Some where done the line, will be a bored person, waiting for a friend, and they pick up one of my used cookbooks in a store, and the cycle will begin all over again.

*drops dead from amazement*

Lambi,
    I don't have a software to recommend, but I will ask around and see if someone here knows of one. I collect cookbooks also, but I don't get as much time to cook as I used to. I have a habit of just making up things out of what I have in the cabinets.

I also highly recommend writing in your cookbooks. After my Mom died this summer, I was flipping through one of my cookbooks to find her notes on canning cucumbers scribbled in the margins. After digging through several more I realized that she would make little notes of who liked what, and how she changed ingredients. One cookie recipe had the name - Ginger Snaps - circled with "Harmony's favorite! Christmas 1997" That little note brought back a flood of memories.

I'll try and post the recipie in the cookie thread later if I remember to.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmoj
    I also highly recommend writing in your cookbooks. After my Mom died this summer, I was flipping through one of my cookbooks to find her notes on canning cucumbers scribbled in the margins. After digging through several more I realized that she would make little notes of who liked what, and how she changed ingredients. One cookie recipe had the name - Ginger Snaps - circled with "Harmony's favorite! Christmas 1997" That little note brought back a flood of memories.
    Harmoj, I know exactly what you're talking about. In the Christmas Cookie thread, I talk about getting my mom's cookbooks when she died, and those little notes in her beautiful handwriting are such a treasure. I used to hesitate to write in mine (a hold over from school I'm sure ), but I write all kinds of notes to myself and my family in my cookbooks now.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmoj
    Lambi,
    I don't have a software to recommend, but I will ask around and see if someone here knows of one..

I'll try and post the recipe in the cookie thread later if I remember to.
    Thanks, Harmoj, both for looking around at work and also the heart-warming story. What a nice surprise you received when you found that note about you.

I didn't read you post before I added a recipe for Orange Cream Icing in the cookie thread, but when I looked it up in the magazine I had saved since 1991, I had splatters, drips and annotations all around the page. It was so cool to read, "Most amazing cookie of 1991 platter! Must make again!!! " and also how I had changed and adapted the recipe. The splatters around the page just makes it that more dear to me.

Rose's_Kid:In the Christmas Cookie thread, I talk about getting my mom's cookbooks when she died, and those little notes in her beautiful handwriting are such a treasure. I used to hesitate to write in mine (a hold over from school I'm sure ), but I write all kinds of notes to myself and my family in my cookbooks now.
    For sure....it sure was a hold over for ME about writing in my first cookbooks, too! However, as I got more and more vintage cookbooks, and spent more time reading in the margins than the original text, I broke that habit and began to write and scribble with glee.

I always count it a double blessing when I've bought an old cookbook and there will also be clippings from the newspaper or magazines, showing "June Cleaver's" in aprons with big, goofy smiles.

Once you know how to properly dress a racoon, you really don't need any more cookbooks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast