+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you own any recipe organizing software?

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Once you know how to properly dress a racoon, you really don't need any more cookbooks.
    This is how I learned to dress MY raccoons!

Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Speaking of recipes, my favorite web site on here is www.recipezaar.com They have tons of recipes on almost anything you search.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    I've now reached the point where I can spend MORE time looking for a recipe than making it.
    Do any of you have a program you'd recommend?
    I would hate to buy an expensive program only to find out that I don't like it.
    Does it have to be a program specifically for recipes? If you have a spreadsheet or database program (or even just a word processing program) you can whip up something easy & quick and modify it to fit your needs. Best of all it's searchable and if you use a spreadsheet or database you can alphabetize & categorize with a click or two.

I had a similiar dilemma - I'm a genealogist and collect hoards of paper. I found that I was always forgetting what I'd found and where I'd filed it. So I now have an inventory done on a spreadsheet that tells me exactly what each piece of paper is, what family it belongs to, and where I filed it. There are programs out there I could buy to do this, but why spend the money when a spreadsheet serves the purpose?

Premium Member
    I have software, it's called Cook'n Deluxe 6.0. It's got tons of recipes plus I can enter my own recipes in it too, and just print a copy when I want to make something. I can also e-mail recipes. Unfortunately last fall when our hard drive crashed I lost all my personal stuff. I have everything on hard copy but haven't gotten around to reinstalling the software yet. Actually I'm ready to upgrade to something newer, this one is about 5 years old.

I also love to collect cookbooks, especially old ones. I have found some really good older ones at estate sales. One that I got was the Pillsbury 2nd Grand National Bake-off, like the little Pillsbury cookbooks you buy at the check out counters today but this was the 2nd one ever printed and is copyrighted 1951. The best thing about it is that inside I found a couple of handwritten recipes on loose paper that someone had tucked in there and are probably as old as the book.

A couple of hours from where I live is the place where they print all those cookbooks for churches and fundraisers. They have a small store in front where they sell the extra cookbooks and you can go in there and buy them for as little as $1. I think those are the best ones where people put in their favorite recipes.

I have MasterCook - the guys from work and I each bought a copy on a trip to Frye's once. It's not hard to use. Some day I'll go through all of my Gourmet magazines and enter the recipes I want to keep - yeah right.

I also have a full book-case of cookbooks that I try to read through each time I get a new one. I pick two or three of the most likely to have what I'm looking for, as well as Google and foodnetwork.com to come up with what I'm actually going to cook.

I love to read cookbooks and get inspired, but I rarely use an actual recipe. While I was in the Peace Corps I read through my paperback volume of "Joy of Cooking" many times - I'd like Food and Drink for $2000, Alex". I have some of Emeril's cookbooks and I think I've tried two recipes, both of which took every appliance in the house, as well as multiple time-outs for dh to do the dishes before I could start again. But, everyone agreed that the Banana's Foster Ice Cream Pie was wonderful!
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff
    Does it have to be a program specifically for recipes? If you have a spreadsheet or database program (or even just a word processing program) you can whip up something easy & quick and modify it to fit your needs. Best of all it's searchable and if you use a spreadsheet or database you can alphabetize & categorize with a click or two.
    Well, helpme, it could be a "spreadsheet", if I even knew what one was! Realize this: I'm a landscape architect that despised computers and all the strange technology until just TWO years ago, when I finally was broken down by friends and bought one to use email! Saying to a neophyte like me, the word 'spreadsheet' is like saying to another person, "Do you have a brass Y connection with a bleed-off valve?" Get my point?

I'm extremely visual, so looking at a blank document, as in WORD, is identical to looking at a blank piece of paper, to me. Where do I begin? Where's the little areas that say, "Ingredients? Yield?" With the software sites that I've looked at, their formats have pretty little cards...with happy chickens and daisies. (being very snarky HERE!)

Basically, what I really want, is a recipe format that allows me to alphabetize exactly like a cell phone does when it's programed with a new name. I can type in a name, and the phone puts "Kay" right in the spot it's supposed to be; I don't have to do some manipulations to make it go into the right spot.

MARLEYBONE:I also love to collect cookbooks, especially old ones. I have found some really good older ones at estate sales. One that I got was the Pillsbury 2nd Grand National Bake-off, like the little Pillsbury cookbooks you buy at the check out counters today but this was the 2nd one ever printed and is copyrighted 1951. The best thing about it is that inside I found a couple of handwritten recipes on loose paper that someone had tucked in there and are probably as old as the book.
    Those little Pillsbury cookbooks take up one entire shelf of my collection! I adore them and some of the best recipes that I've ever made is from them. You must live in Tennessee, Marley, as I know that they have a printing company that makes loads of the pamphlet cookbooks.

The Cook n' Deluxe: was it a program that you downloaded from a site or did you buy the disk, like at Best Buy? Would you go with the same one again, and does it organize the recipes alphabetically?

tracyleeI also have a full book-case of cookbooks that I try to read through each time I get a new one. I pick two or three of the most likely to have what I'm looking for, as well as Google and foodnetwork.com to come up with what I'm actually going to cook.
    So, I'm not the only one who will take cookbooks to bed, to read them! Some of my favorite ones to just read are Marcia Adams Heirloom Recipes and A Prairie Sampler. I love the history that the authors dig into, in regards to how the recipe came about and where it originated from.

some of the cooler things that I've made are: Queen Anne Lace Jelly, Corn Cob Jelly, Fried Elderberry Flower Fritters and Milk Pie. All of them are ancient recipes, before the dreaded and over-used vanilla and cinnamon, which seems like the only two flavours left on earth. I also make an amazing Parsnip pie with Pecan-Maple crust; I never tell a soul what's in the pie to begin with, but once they taste it....it's like crack for the tongue!

With MasterCook, what sold you on it? And does it automatically organize and alphabetize the recipes?

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

This looks pretty cool, and around $29 to license.
    you can get a free download to try it out.

http://www.freedomsoftware.net/recip...e_manager.html

at least it has a screen shot.

this one also has a free download - http://www.mealmaster.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mkwdood
    This looks pretty cool, and around $29 to license.
    you can get a free download to try it out.

http://www.freedomsoftware.net/recip...e_manager.html

at least it has a screen shot.

this one also has a free download - http://www.mealmaster.com/
    Thank you, mkwdood! I'm leaving the computer for a couple of days (traveling to a job site), so when I come back this week end, I'll follow both links and get the FREE! down loads. Thanks, again.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Those little Pillsbury cookbooks take up one entire shelf of my collection! I adore them and some of the best recipes that I've ever made is from them. You must live in Tennessee, Marley, as I know that they have a printing company that makes loads of the pamphlet cookbooks.

The Cook n' Deluxe: was it a program that you downloaded from a site or did you buy the disk, like at Best Buy? Would you go with the same one again, and does it organize the recipes alphabetically?
    Nope, I live in Nebraska. The place is called Morris Press in Kearney, NE.

The Cook n' Deluxe is a cd, I got it at Staples. It doesn't go alphabetically, but it has a list of over 50 "cookbooks". Each cookbook has it's own "chapters". Then on the right side of the screen is "recipes", there is a separate list of recipes for each chapter of each cookbook. For example... One of the cookbooks is called "30 Minute Main Dishes", the chapters for it are Entree, Beverage, Dessert, Sandwiches and Sauce. Click on the chapter you want and you get a list of all the recipes in that chapter. Hope that's not too confusing.. there has to be 1000 recipes in here!
    You can also browse recipes by "category" which has 25 alphabetical categories from Appetizers to Tips (a how to guide with instructions like how to boil eggs) The best thing though is that you can creat your own personal cookbook and organize your recipes in their own chapters.
    You can also type in the ingredients you have on hand and it will find recipes for you, and you can e-mail recipes. There's lots of other features that I don't even use like creating shopping lists, nutrition charts, etc.
    Have you ever bought from Current in Colorado Springs? If you have you would have heard of Miriam B. Loo, she created the Current Test Kitchen and that is where this cd comes from.

Insane Squirrel free2b_a_skwerl's Avatar
    Hmmmmmm............interesting .........
    It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt by a tumbleweed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast