+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Post pics of your Christmas Tree here....

Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl_2100
    I think Americans in general are very afraid of fires, maybe because you live in houses made of wood
    what are your houses made of?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

...ice blocks

(they don't burn down as easily)

ah yes .. the self-extinguishing approach.. very ingenious

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    what are your houses made of?
    Brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Susie
    Thanks for the links astrogirl, they look beautiful. I am going try to do a few of them.
    Please post pictures. That goes for anyone who tries to make hearts or stars, I'd like to see how it turns out. If I ware you, I'd start with the two-by-two heart, move up the three by three and if that goes well, go wild.

I'd imagine brick houses are fully capable of catching on fire, unless all your interior decor and such is brick as well.

I've gone the fake tree route for ages. We had a really cool one for a few years that was all silver tinsel.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I'd imagine brick houses are fully capable of catching on fire, unless all your interior decor and such is brick as well.
    Your are right, brick houses do catch on fire. But I think there is some sort of deep psychological reasons why Scandinavians love candles and use them in every situation, and why Americans use them only for special occasions. Maybe it's not the building materials, but rather because it is so dark in Scandinavia this time of year that we need candles to stay sane.

I'd never, ever have a plastic tree. Now that is barbaric. Also I would never tolerate electric lights on a tree, it has to be real candles in gold candleholders from Georg Jensen people! And a christmas tree is not a christmas tree without home made stars and hearts. In my country we don't put up the tree untill the 23rd, so I will have to take a picture later.
    I sold "permanent" trees for years so I frankly can't imagine a real tree. Kill the tree and then deal with needles all season. Yuck. And, brave soul, I would never put candles on my tree with kids in the house, although I can imagine it is beautiful.
    I put the "permanent (LOL) tree" up Thanksgiving weekend and it comes down after New Years. I usually put a lot of lights on it. Again, having decorated trees professionally for years (I got $350. a tree!) I can't not do that. This year it is a 7' tree with 1,200 lights
    If I knew how to post a picture here, I would!
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

We love our artificial tree. There are never bare spots and clean up is minimal. I do love the scent of a real tree though so I was at a little market last year and they had tiny plastic pomanders that opened up and they have a felt pad inside that you can pour essentials oils on (for aromatherapy) so I bought 2 and some pine scented oil and voila! Pine smell without the pine mess. I hung them on the inside branches next to the pole so the scent emanates from the tree. I like it.
    One thing that I don't use is tinsel - because of the risk with the little ones and the lower branches are all plastic/chocolate smarties balls, again because of the kids.

Your are right, brick houses do catch on fire. But I think there is some sort of deep psychological reasons why Scandinavians love candles and use them in every situation, and why Americans use them only for special occasions. Maybe it's not the building materials, but rather because it is so dark in Scandinavia this time of year that we need candles to stay sane.
    I think that is true about darkness and candles. Candles give real, living light. My mother puts up real candles on the tree at summer cabin (there is no electricity anyway there in the woods), and they are only burned one evening. With a bucket of water next to it. Also, when you think about the amount of decorations on a Christmas tree between the cultures (American vs. Scandinavian), I think American trees are generally so covered in "stuff" that they are way more flammable than their Scandinavian counterparts (American's would probably wonder why the Scandinavian tree was left only half way decorated ), that I would not dare to put real candles on "American" tree either Personally I love the old fashioned straw ornaments and a straw himmeli (in picture) at Christmas time.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

+ Reply to Thread