+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Post pics of your Christmas Tree here....

Premium Member

Re: Post pics of your Christmas Tree here....

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2714957;
    Marley, your indoor tree reminds me of the ones I used to see as a kid

I love the big tree also; it seems that the majority of people around here have canged to the all white light look over the last 10 years or so. Not to insult anyone who has that look, but I find it so boring; I like colors, colors, colors!
    And I'm sure the area kids love this big all colored tree too!
    Years ago, the then mayor declared our town the "White Light Christmas City". They encouraged everyone to hang only white lights, but being the outlaw that I am, I always put up big multicolored lights because I am stubborn enough that nobody is going to tell me what color of lights to hang. All white lights can look very pretty when done right, but they got boring after awhile. I used to love the icicle lights, but now they bore me too.

MRD

We went to a local light display not long ago. My daughter kept talking about the "LSD" lights and how pretty they were and we should get some. We could NOT figure out what she was talking about. "LSD lights?" Are those like hippie lights or something?

She meant the new LED lights.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I love everyone's trees...especially seeing Rick Springfield. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Marley, I love your tree....I bet its even more gorgeous in person!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Marley - I'm LOVING the raffia!!! Beautiful!! Does Katie chew it? My Abbie would have a field day with raffia.

MRD

can you dye raffia? I didn't want to buy a lot of colored raffia, but I have some of the natural color and I have some Rit dye. Think I could dye the raffia? anyone have experience with that? I have two gifts that I need colored raffia for and just am too cheap and lazy to go to the store.

Premium Member

I've been doing my tree like this for 6 or 7 years, and I'm still using the same raffia that I started with. I used a lot of it for craft projects, so I had a ton of the natural color, and I picked up a small package of the red. When I take the tree down, I just gather up all the raffia and put a twist tie around it, and store it with the rest of my ornaments.

Amazingly enough, the animals don't bother it. I just don't put much of anything around the bottom of the tree because Katie would take out most of the ornaments with her happy tail.

myrosiedog - I found an article that says it's easy to dye so you could probably give it a try. It's not expensive, so if it didn't work you wouldn't be out much.

What is Raffia?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2715737;
    I've been doing my tree like this for 6 or 7 years, and I'm still using the same raffia that I started with. I used a lot of it for craft projects, so I had a ton of the natural color, and I picked up a small package of the red. When I take the tree down, I just gather up all the raffia and put a twist tie around it, and store it with the rest of my ornaments.

Amazingly enough, the animals don't bother it. I just don't put much around the bottom because Katie would take out most of the ornaments with her happy tail.

myrosiedog - I found an article that says it's easy to dye so you could probably give it a try. It's not expensive, so if it didn't work you wouldn't be out much.

What is Raffia?

Thanks for the info. I happen to have a GINORMOUS bag of natural colored raffia which is why I was wondering if I could dye it. I know its not real expensive, but like I said, I'm lazy, don't want to go back to the store. Was hoping I could just soak it in some dye I have here.

Besides, I had already gone to Michael's this morning to return something and encountered the "rude" gang and didn't relish going back any time soon.
    (and I'm mad at myself for forgetting to look at the colored raffia while I was there. But to my credit, my husband was with me and he hates the craft store, so he was being a you know what, wanting to leave. But then I had to endure Lowe's, so he should have been more patient. )

ETA: it can be dyed with Rit dye, easter egg dye, food color and koolaid. COOL. Reccomends adding a little salt to the water and rinsing in vinegar to set the color. Yeah, I am off to dye!
    Last edited by MRD; 12-12-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Premium Member

You actually got your husband inside a craft store? I love snooping around at Lowe's, but he wouldn't be caught inside Michael's or Hobby Lobby even if there was a tornado coming.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2715749;
    You actually got your husband inside a craft store? I love snooping around at Lowe's, but he wouldn't be caught inside Michael's or Hobby Lobby even if there was a tornado coming.
    I know, it was a Christmas miracle!

He usually sits in the car if he has to accompany me. But today, he actually went in and then followed me around saying: 'yeah that looks nice, can we go?" I could have held up a muddy stick and he would have said: "yeah, that looks nice, can we go?"

I wanted to look at the Christmas trees as they have a pink feather one I have my eye on and I keep checking it out to see if its on sale. I never even got that far. (I think his ulterior motive is that he did want to look at the outside decorations because his plan is to hit the stores after Christmas for next years decorations)

+ Reply to Thread