+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I'm feelin' stressed about the holidays are you?

Good Ideas Lotuslander I agree if you dont want to send Christmas cards and presents, dont do it. True Friends should just be glad to have you as a friend. To me thats good enough.. to share your company with me on a holiday. Christmas has really gotten too commercialized that people forget the real reason of the season.

2 years ago we left everyone and moved to the coast. Now we are left to our own devices and are learning what WE want from Christmas. We close up shop on Christmas eve through New years day, no exceptions. We don't exchange presents (except we got ourselves a Mini Cooper JCW this year for our mid-life crisis). Last year my husband decorated a genuine Charlie Brown-type christmas tree out in the yard for me while I slept on Christmas night. I think it held all of 15 lights and it was the best present I ever got. This year we bought games and we're planning our finger-food menus and are going to hang out, read and play silly board games (even Shrek Operation to howl over while we get tipsy on New Years eve). Gentle, quiet, happy.
    home at last

i agree that for some people Christmas has become too commercial. Not because i think everyone should celebrate it the same way, but because i see too many people that all this holiday means to them is "What are you going to give me? What am i going to get?" They just have the gimmes.

i like getting presants just as much as anyone else. i love to give them even more... i love to see the look on someones face when they open a gift specially chosen for them. But to me the holiday is so much about my loved ones, the people i care about, the people i work with. It is about spending time together.

i do not think everyone has to believe the way i do or believe in the same things i believe in, but i do wish the holidays could mean more to each and every person then just what they are getting...
    God grant me the serenity. To accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And the wisdom to know the difference.

For the most part, Christmas is commercialized. What major holiday isn't? It is what it is. And it's really hard for people who have children to forgo buying presents along with all the accoutrements of the season. You make your personal decisions on how removed from the religious aspects you want to make Dec. 25th.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I love the shopping for Christmas presents and putting up the tree and making cookies and spending time with my family. This year my stress comes from... Not having enough money to buy as much as I'd like, because I've only been able to find temp work since 2/04; finding a spot to put my Christmas tree so that my grandkids will leave it alone; finding a mutually agreeable time to make cookies and spend time with my mom, before she leaves on a 5-6 month trip and trying to get my son to come to the family party to bond and help me with his kids.

I believe the true meaning of Christmas is "LOVE". No matter how you celebrate it really just comes down to this. I only send Christmas cards, when I see one that makes me think of someone. I put a great deal of thought into the gifts I give. That adds to the stress, but also to the joy. Our family gatherings are a mad house of fun and love and good natured ribbing. I enjoy making Christmas cookies, only because it's a special time spent with my mom.

All of the holidays are highly commercialized. I don't have a problem with that - except the parking space thing. Note to self: Buy handicapped sign on black market.This adds to my Christmas experience and it's good for the economy (Bonus!). My mom shops all year for Christmas gifts so that by November, she's finished.

My Christmas wish this year (at the risk of sounding like a hippy) is for all of my FORT friends to embrace the season; not with a choke hold, but with joy and love.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 12-12-2004 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    I believe the true meaning of Christmas is "LOVE". No matter how you celebrate it really just comes down to this.

:santasmil
    God grant me the serenity. To accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And the wisdom to know the difference.

Working all week... party to plan... family coming to town this weekend... must buy gifts this week... lots of running around on my one day off... I wish I had a car...
    No, really, I'm not feeling stressed. I may forget to send some cards out, but I'm not stressed.

- sleepy, who agrees that this time of year is about love, friends, and family

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345