+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm feelin' stressed about the holidays are you?

FORT Fogey
    I'm in a not Christmas mood this year. I just don't have enough time! For some reason, my teachers decided they would all have a test or a project due this week. And then I have to help out with my parent's holiday party on Friday. And we haven't even been able to make any Christmas cookies yet, which is my favorite part of the season.

I used to get really stressed during the holidays. Not only would I have to buy the gifts, send the cards and work in a mall, but I'd have finals all at the same time. Now that I'm out of school, the holidays are half as stressful as before. I still work in retail, but it's tolerable. My shopping and card lists are really small, so that helps too.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    I made a vow last year that I would reduce the stress this year and so far, it has worked. I told my children last year and kept reminding them through the year that Santa would only bring 3 gifts this year so they needed to think very carefully about their wishes. I told them that Jesus only received 3 gifts upon his birth on Christmas day so we should follow that plan. I tell you, this has been a blessing! I got done very early. I can't help thinking something is missing, and I have the usual last minute stuff for co-workers, stocking stuffers etc. but overall, being able to avoid all the distractions has helped tremendously. I'm actually enjoying the Christmas music and decorating this year.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

I usually get stressed around this season! Last year, less than this one. UNTIL I started shopping online! Talk about convenient!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Yes, I am feeling the strain.... In one way I am better off than the last couple of years, in another I am worse....

Better off because I finally figured out my personal "best way" of list making and shopping. Worse off because I am working longer and harder this year leaving less time for these shopping expeditions.

V's "personal best system".... I have a small notepad in my purse (side bound) there is a pen clipped into the ring part. There is a small 3 month grid on the inside cover of the calendar days for october november and december, and I stapled an envelope to the inside back cover for receipts. I have pages for ideas that I jot down {ie look on website for such and such thing, or return baby sweater because I don't "do" cashmere} I then have "to do" pages that are a little more detailed than that: they include what store, who the purchase will be for, what is it, and about how much will it cost. This way I know that when I am in the area of somesuch store with somesuch spendable dollars in my wallet, I can do what I have to do and not shop impulsively. I also have a section for dates to remember and/or specific plans to shop in a specific place, or my baking days.

Obsessive? Maybe, but it works for me!
    Could does not mean should

I'm not worried about the holiday yet but check back in about 10 days. Right now I am trying to finish a final project for a class. Once that's done, I'm going to attempt to make several gifts for family members. I have them all planned out but it could be pretty stressful once I get the projects underway.

I don't have any time this christmas season to go shopping. My work has a phase deadline and I need to work overtime 6 days a week, and I need to do my school work when I'm not working. Talk about typical American life

I have to tell you girls something that I got the giggles over today. I have always done every last bit of shopping in our family. My husband has bought maybe four gifts in that time. Today he was off work. I "made" him go with me to finish up. We had to go to Target for some gift cards and to Penney's at the mall for a gift for HIS cousin. On the way out there he actually said that all that shopping just drives him crazy. He'll be glad when it's done. I gave him "the look". Anyone blame me?

I'm not stressed at all, because I've already decided that I'm going to do what very little ( 3 gifts) shopping I'm going to do online, and only do baking ONE day...Dec.21. No parties, no cards, none of that crap. Bah Humbug!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Good for you, Queenb, i abhor the get togethers.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast