+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm feelin' stressed about the holidays are you?

Pom I'm finished with the "M's" now. Hopefully I'll get the rest done tomorrow and Monday. I love sending cards and say every year that I'm going to do them early. Never do, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    We go out of town for Christmas every year now. This year we will be at a B&B on a mountain in Georgia. My idea of celebrating is to have a warm bath and my pj's on about dark, certainly by about 9 pm. That will work well because we will have access to the video library and popcorn and soft drinks are furnished.
    Wow, that sounds heavenly. We will be travelling around, visiting all the relatives. We turn into nomads at holidays.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I still try to make Christmas magical for my kids. They're teenagers, but they've suffered through our divorce and other disruptions. I buy the major presents as soon as I have an idea of what they really want and then I buy little things here and there to round out the present opening scene. I have special paper "from Santa". I try to make the stocking stuffers magical and surprising. I don't decorate a lot - the house has no outside sockets. I don't do Christmas cards (I do handmade Valentines...40-60 every year). The one thing we do all out is cut-out, decorated Christmas cookies. That's a tradition from my childhood. I get the kids Christmas eve and Christmas morning and then they go to their dad's for the rest of the day which is fine with me. I get to relax, clean up the mess, and eat left-overs.
    Count your blessings!

Well I'm feeling a little better today. We put up the Christmas tree yesterday, outsides all decorated, so thats done. Its the shopping I hate. My 18 year old asked for some pretty expensive gifts this year - those are ordered 3 gifts, bet his little brother is gonna have some thoughts about that "T.T.'s been naughty this year" (which he hasn't). But thats all he's getting. The 7 year old on the other hand wants to keep his Christmas list a secret this year....I think he's testing "Santa"!!! I actually went out yesterday and got some stocking stuffers, I know I'm weird but, I HATE SHOPPING!
    I wish I was more like Lambikins...its hard for me to think of Christmas in the middle of July though!

Oh and Duxxy, your grandfather sounds like a very wise man!

Trying not to get too stressed. Always manange to though even if my shopping is done and the tree is up.

originally posted by Muduh We go out of town for Christmas every year now. This year we will be at a B&B on a mountain in Georgia. My idea of celebrating is to have a warm bath and my pj's on about dark, certainly by about 9 pm. That will work well because we will have access to the video library and popcorn and soft drinks are furnished

That's sounds relaxing Muduh. I'm going to remember that tip on B&B's for the holiday's when my kids are out of the house.

I'm not too stressed yet, except this week we have something every single and in the evening to boot....which is hard for me , trying to cook, get kids to certain destinations and make sure homework is done..... Maybe I am a little stressed. And my husband won't be much help because he has to work late this week. I know go through the drive thru at a fast place......I do that once in awhile but I'd prefer not to do it everyday. :rolleyes

I still need to get those christmas cards addressed and mailed but I'm waiting on the pictures that I ordered that I want to put in the cards.
    Although I might need to find a new home after my husband finds out which pictures I copied of the kids.......
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    I just got back from buying cards and I don't even know if I'll write them and mail them, but I think I'm blowing off Christmas day this year -- no gathering with anyone.

I think I'll just hunker down and wait for it to pass.

Too much crap to deal with and I'm not up for it this year.
    i used to feel this way about Christmas. i would get so hyped up and try to get everything perfect for everyone. A couple yrs ago i decided that should not be the way Christmas should be. Now i just do what makes me and those i care about happy. i do not try to please any extended family for Christmas any more. i will go to houses and do big things on other holidays but Christmas is mine. We sit around Christmas night and read the Christmas story, listen to Christmas music. We open all the presants that are not from Santa. On Christmas we cook just what we want to eat, not what others feel like we are supposed to eat for Christmas. We do not try to do a huge meal because that makes things to hectic. i just try to relax and enjoy my loved ones and remember what Christmas should be about. Why stress out? It is supposed to be a holiday to enjoy and remember (whatever you believe Christmas to mean, i won't get into religion here because there are too many different ones and too many different beliefs for that).
    God grant me the serenity. To accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    I just got back from buying cards and I don't even know if I'll write them and mail them, but I think I'm blowing off Christmas day this year -- no gathering with anyone.

I think I'll just hunker down and wait for it to pass.

Too much crap to deal with and I'm not up for it this year.
    Just do what feels right for you. Stay at home, check into a hotel, whatever you want to do. It's YOUR day too.
    All that rat race business is why I chose to get away from it all. The kids want us here then we sit here alone all day. After a couple of their fly by visits on the way to the inlaws houses I got the message. They just want us to be here. Makes them feel like we're a family. And then there is one other in law who is the camp leader. She wants everybody's parents at her house. Like hell! My kid married her kid. That doesn't make us buddies. Actually she's probably about the last person I'd pick for a bosom buddy. She's a very nice person, but so what?
    By the way, the cards are done. If I have your address, your card goes in the mail tomorrow. I love that part.

Christmas is supposed to be a happy time. My family comes to my house for christmas and I get to entertain the extended family ......and pretend to get along and be extra nicey nicey............but I guess at least I'm in my own house so I can't complain about that.........

Run's off to address Christmas cards......oops I can't do them in my sleep.....okay in the morning...... :rolleyes

A big to all to help ease the stress.
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast