+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tasteless Christmas decorations!

I don't really find those blow up things all that bad. They llok good on some people's lawns, depends the way the whole ensemble is decorated. The Homer one is a little big but the Santa's and the Snowmen look alright to me. *ducks out of thread*

There aren't too many inflatables around me, but I frequently drive past one of the Grinch. It makes me smile and break into song, "You're a mean one...."

Quote Originally Posted by EvaLaruefan
    I don't really find those blow up things all that bad. They llok good on some people's lawns, depends the way the whole ensemble is decorated. The Homer one is a little big but the Santa's and the Snowmen look alright to me. *ducks out of thread*
    No need to rush out of here, Eva! You're right - some of the inflatables are actually quite cute. I just don't like it when someone has so many of them in their front yard that you can't even see the person's house.

The inflatables were cool at first, but where I live, those who have them typically have several on their lawns - an IMO - it is overkill. In fact, one house in particular has the inflated turkey, the grinch, homer, and the abominable snowman. The turkey was still up last night. Along with those, they have the light up wicker reindeer, several of those spiral trees, a couple of plastic lit soldiers, and icicle lights all around. It is truly a site to behold.

I like the inflatables, but they just look like trashbags when people don't keep them 'up'. And as long as you don't try to fit more than 3 in a 10 square foot area.

http://www.uglychristmaslights.com/

I found this site to be pretty cute.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I live in a house divided. Luckily my house is big enough to do this. My living room is at the front of the house with the big picture window facing the street. This is my room. I usually have it decorated in a lovely victorian inspired way. Elegance is my choice.

There is an addition to the back of the house behind the garage. Every year at x-mas my kids and my roommate go absolutely nuts in there. I call it the "vegas" room. Every loud, bright, glittery, jingling x-mas deco you can find is in that room. If I can find my digital camera, I will take a pic of both rooms to show you once they are completed. It's pretty funny when we have our x-mas gatherings you can tell a persons mood by the room they choose to hang out in.

The outside of the house is just a tasteful display of icicle lights, candy canes, hanging ornaments, but we do have one gawdy display. I inherited this cement goose from an aunt who passed away last year (my kids love it). It's the kind you dress up....well, she has several different outfits for x-mas. Right now she's dressed as a caroler, as we get closer to the big day she'll be a reindeer. Anyway, I made my roommate get a spotlight for her so folks can see her at night. It's pretty hysterical and keeps the neighbors laughing. I'll get a pic of that too...

I think some of the inflatables I've seen are quite tasteful & very nice, but then there are some that are just too cheezy & it seems to cheapen an otherwise nicely decorated yard/house
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

A house down the street from us has the following decorations (I'll snap a pic tonight if I remember and post it tomorrow to show you!)

Multicoloured lights on every inch of their eaves; icicle lights on the same eves; light up sayings in every single window; multicoloured lights around every window and to top it all off, an inflatable Grinch on the top of their roof that lights up at night.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

I was in Virgin records on the week-end, and they had a bunch of decorations for sale based on Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, loved them, but I think you'd have to do a whole tree in that theme. A macabre Christmas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast