+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burnout

Can you cut back on anything? I'm not sure how much longer you have in school (or what level you are in). I know when I was in school, changing my job helped so much. I got burnt out on my midnight shift aide job and was able to find a day job in an office with fewer hours. I had to cut back money wise but it helped keep my sanity my last year in grad school.

Now, to fight burnout, I talk to people about what is frustrating me....at times it helps to talk to people in the same boat, at other times it helps to get a totally different point of view. Plus, I have to look at what is really bothering me....most of the time, it's my lack of real power so I have to do what I can do and hope for the best.

A big help for me is to also exercise. Get moving during the day. Make sure you sleep. Eat the right food regularly.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Leo
    Premium Member
    Thanks for all the advice, just reading them is making me feel better a bit.

And, nlmcp, about cutting back: I don't think I realistically can. I'm wrapping up the second year of a five-your course. I might be able to lessen my normal load bu shifting some credits to summer, but that will only move the load around, and I'm not even sure that's a good idea.

Love that story Firegirl!!

Pretty much everyone has alluded to what I think is the most important advice - make time for yourself.

Think of yourself as a pitcher of water. Sometimes your family needs a glass, your job needs a glass, your friends need a glass, etc, etc. Eventually you give out so much that the pitcher is empty.

You need to fill your pitcher, my friend. Find things that YOU need, even if that's a 15 minute nap, and do it. Time is always a factor, but it can be done.

Good luck!
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Leo, I'm sorry you're going through a tough time. I don't have anything else to add that folks haven't already said.

But I would like to say to the folks that you've offered some great advice that I plan to use myself. I've been going through a little bit of burnout or something myself of late. You folks are terrific.

Wayner, the solution for YOU is to write more recaps

Just kidding. You do whatever you need to do. We don't want anyone burning out, even though Def Leppard says "It's better to burn out than fade away."

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Originally posted by John
    Wayner, the solution for YOU is to write more recaps

Just kidding. You do whatever you need to do. We don't want anyone burning out, even though Def Leppard says "It's better to burn out than fade away."
    I think that is the perfect solution, John. In fact, I was telling a friend today that other than hanging out with my kids, the only thing that I've really gotten any satisfaction out of the last couple weeks has been writing the CMH recap! Next time I'll strive to avoid the typos I found later. Curse spell-checker for not finding "through" instead of "threw"!

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    leo, what i'd do was get real drunk and beat the hell out of a rock. gets all the frustration out and lets you blow off the steam. it was something i learned while overseas. have someone there just to look after you. the next day is heaven.I know it sounds weird but it worked

Originally posted by Leo
    Thanks for all the advice, just reading them is making me feel better a bit.

And, nlmcp, about cutting back: I don't think I realistically can. I'm wrapping up the second year of a five-your course. I might be able to lessen my normal load bu shifting some credits to summer, but that will only move the load around, and I'm not even sure that's a good idea.
    You never know. I did summer courses about 3 years out of my 6 years. I liked summer classes better, it was done at a different pace. Unless of course you can get an iternship or co-op job in your field, that is great experence too, doing what you are actually learning about. What are you studying Leo??????

Good luck.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Leo
    Premium Member
    Originally posted by nlmcp
    You never know. I did summer courses about 3 years out of my 6 years. I liked summer classes better, it was done at a different pace. Unless of course you can get an iternship or co-op job in your field, that is great experence too, doing what you are actually learning about. What are you studying Leo??????

Good luck.
    I'm taking up Computer Engineering.

Originally posted by Leo
    I'm taking up Computer Engineering.
    Wow...good luck. That is some heavy duty studying you have to do there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12