+ Reply to Thread

Thread: US/Canada..how long can you stay in the country?

US/Canada..how long can you stay in the country?

Hi...I was wondering if anyone from the states has come to Canada for a visit or work..whatever. I know if I go to the states I am allowed there for 6 months with no visa etc but I am wondering what the laws are for Americans who visit here? The time limit etc? My friend would like to come up from Florida and neither one of us is sure about what he needs to come here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shyra,

It looks like the same rules apply in reverse as well. http://www.aaa-mountainwest.com/borders.htm

Visas are not required for U.S. tourists entering Canada from the U.S. for stays up to 180 days. You will, however, need (1) proof of your U.S. citizenship such as (a) your U.S. passport or (b) original or certified copy of your birth certificate and photo identification. (For information on obtaining a U.S. passport, check with the nearest passport agency located at 13 locations throughout the U.S.) If you are a naturalized citizen and do not have a passport, you should travel with your naturalization certificate. A driver's license or Social Security card is not valid proof of citizenship. All U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport. Alien permanent residents of the U.S. must present their Alien Registration Card, commonly called the "Green Card." If you are a dual U.S./Canadian citizen you should always present yourself as a Canadian citizen when entering Canada. However, U.S. citizens should use their U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States.
    It looks like there are a few people that have mentioned that they actually live in Canada year-round as a visitor by just making sure that they leave Canada for a week or so every 179 days.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Shyra, I have been here for two years. I had to file for an extension to get to stay here up to 6 months at a time, but its really up to immigration what time limit they give you. I have known some that stay here 6 months at a time, and go back to the states. I was only allowed six weeks when I first crossed the border two years ago. Each time I had to refile for an extension to my visitor pass. The fee for each extension is $75 Canadian dollars. You are not always guaranteed 6 months at a time, although that is the most time you get for each extension. This last extension I was granted one year, but that is because I am currently in process of becoming a permanent resident here. If you want to work or go to school here, you also have to apply for a special permit to do so. Here is a website that I have been using the past two years, it may help your friend out. www.cic.gc.ca or call 1-888-242-2100. When crossing the border they ask you to show them your current drivers license and birth certificate. Having a passport is helpful, but not required. Hope this information helps your friend.

Thanks Broadway and Canadian_Bunny. Broadway...my brother did that for years after he moved from Canada to the US, he stayed 6 months and then came back to Canada for 1 week then back to the states. lol Eventually he got a job in the states with a work permit and stayed there getting his US citizenship. I just wasn't sure if it was still the sames rules as that was almost 25 years ago.

Shyra~
    Here is some more info on visiting Canada. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.html

I did go across the border in July 2003 to visit my family for two weeks, but wasnt allowed to go this summer because of my status of being in process of becoming a resident. If you cross the border while in process, they could null and void your status and make you start all over. I didnt want to risk it. I am hoping to have an answer before Christmas so that I can go home for the holidays.

FORT Newbie
    Hi:

I'm a canadian citizen and have been in US now for 5 months.
    I would like to know how to extend my visit for another 6 months.
    I called USCIS and got two answers:

one told me to exit and enter again, and the other told me to file the
    form i-539. I do not know which answer is correct.
    I do not have I-94

any advice?

thanks

+ Reply to Thread