+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever not done Thanksgiving?

Have you ever not done Thanksgiving?

This is the first year I haven't cooked or made any solid plans for Thanksgiving. I have raised my kids and they all have places to go, etc. I hear so many people say they go to the River Boats or just go out to eat, so that is what I am gonna try this year!

Just curious, how many of you guys let a year slip by now and then? This is a first for me. I gotta admit, I don't miss all the work involved!

Nope. I got pissed at my mom as a 12 year old when she made two chickens instead of a turkey It's an important holiday and tradition to me.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

For the last 4 years my ex-husband has taken the kids to my parents house with all my sibs, nieces, and nephews while I stay here. In our teaching contract it says we can't take off right before a holiday. I tried flying in Weds. night one year and it was just too crazy. So I started ordering Chinese food the day before and heating it up for TG. People have invited me to join them, but if it's not your own family it isn't the same. I think it would make it worse. The first year was hard, but after that it was nice to have a chunk of time with no kids. This year my oldest is in college and couldn't go to the grandparents so she is home with me. We had roast beef and apple pie.
    Count your blessings!

For years I didn't do Thanksgiving, I worked on call for a county crisis line instead.

This year we didn't have a turkey, had seafood instead.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Would have been a good idea today.......

This is our first year. We dont have any thing that a traditional thanksgiving dinner consists of.
    And i just came from the store planning to make 2 double layered pumpkin pies.
    but they closed right when i got there
    so now nothing to do but read mangas.

I don't feel so bad about not doing Thanksgiving this year. It was a wondefully needed day off, and since none of the family members, at least the family that you are the closest with weren't around it seemed like putting on a "show" rather than celebrating the meaning. I received calls from all my children, got to spend about an hour with my husband and spent the rest of the evening with my sister. While it was a first I can't say I feel as bad about it as I thought I would.

I would never erase Thanksgiving out of my life, heavens no! I just want it to be celebrated for what it means to you, or me in this case. When the kids grow up, life just kind of goes in different directions. Thanks for brightening my day a little more for making me realize I wasn't alone in my decision.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Belvasgirl
    Just curious, how many of you guys let a year slip by now and then? This is a first for me. I gotta admit, I don't miss all the work involved!
    I have "skipped" celebrating many holidays in the past, including Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year's.

When I say "skipped" I mean that I've not celebrated them with other people in any formal way.

I celebrate with others (family or friends or both) more often than not these days, but I never mind or get upset when I spend them alone. In fact, I often prefer to be alone, not only on the holidays but most days of the year!

I've never celebrated THanksgiving, not really sure why exactly we eat TUrkey on Christmas though.

One thanksgiving about 3 years ago, my husband and I skipped Thanksgiving. We went out to Marie Callenders, a superb restaurant out here that have excellent food...as close to homecooked as you can get without it actually BEING homecooked, and we had a great dinner together there.... I thought it was great, although I love spending thanksgiving with the family, I do cherish that memory of our "non-thanksgiving" year
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast