+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Have you ever not done Thanksgiving?

When I was a kid we almost cancelled Christmas one year. That is actually the thing that ended up sparking a long-lasting tradition.

We used to go over to my aunt and uncle’s house for Christmas every year when I was a kid. It was always lots of fun because it was a once-a-year chance to see all 9 of their kids at one time. One year we got a mid-day phone call on Christmas…Everyone had come down with the flu and they were just going to quarantine themselves in the house. Since we hadn’t planned on doing any cooking that day we didn’t really have much food in the house. My mom managed to scrounge together a meal consisting of Nally’s chili and grilled cheese sandwiches. We decided to set up TV trays in front of the fireplace and dunk our cheesy sandwiches in chili by the light of the roaring fire. We talked and laughed and had a great time all night.

We ended up making it a family tradition for many years. Sometimes we would do it on Christmas Eve and sometimes Christmas night. We’ve gotten away from it the last few years, but I wouldn’t mind starting it up again. Sometimes it’s the silly little traditions that can really make the holidays feel festive.
    :santawave

Quote Originally Posted by Zhora
    We ended up making it a family tradition for many years. Sometimes we would do it on Christmas Eve and sometimes Christmas night. We’ve gotten away from it the last few years, but I wouldn’t mind starting it up again. Sometimes it’s the silly little traditions that can really make the holidays feel festive.
    :santawave
    What a wonderful story, Zhora, and isn't that the truth about how little traditions can make holidays festive (and personal). I think having grilled cheese sandwiches and chili in front of a fire sounds wonderful. I think I'll do that on Christmas Eve this year. Thanks for sharing.

One Christmas, Lil Rose (who was 5 at the time), made some corn husk dolls for my mom. Instead of wrapping them, and putting them under the tree, she wanted to hide them in 'Nana Rose's' house, and have her look for them. Well, everyone got in on the action helping Nana search for the dolls, and had so much fun, that next Christmas, my mom brought them to our house, and hid them for Lil Rose to find. This became a Christmas tradition between the two of them. Those dolls ended up going from house to house for years. My mother passed away in the summer of 2001, and when we were going through her things, we found them with Christmas ribbons around their waists....apparently she was going to dress them up a little the next Christmas. They now have a prominent place on the mantle in our family room, and every year we talk about the Corn Husk Doll Adventures we used to have. *sigh* :santasmil
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I just wanted to update my Christmas family time problem. Turns out the idea of having them come over here and be put up in a hotel for the night was shot down due to too many family commitments (me not remembering that Christmas this year was on Saturday and with my step father being a minister, he's got Sunday morning services, so staying the night over wouldn't work for my mom). Anyways! With my mother and I both being in retail services that are busy all the days up to the holiday, we're having Christmas on the following Tuesday (since that's a day off for both of us)....it won't quite be the same I know, but Christmas really isn't about just a day, it's all about family and time together for me and we'll have that, just a bit delayed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345